Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com
Dreadlocks Forums

How to take steps towards eating healthy?

Amma Niradhara
@amma-niradhara
8 years ago
10 posts
hey Khanka im going to hook u up with a source of healthy eating- a raw foodie ezine that is happens to be featuring my art this month. the editor is a black woman and she is soooooooooo into the raw diet shes got her aunts and uncles on it too.. so check out divinerevolutionmag.com its free its an ezine. she has a e-recipe book coming out soon im sure it will cost some small thing but less than a paper book. im not raw i think that might be too hard for you too to go all the way in one leap to that. but Asante at divinerevolution is absolutely gloriously inspiring ! and its fast and easy to incorporate some raw features into your existing diet. like sprouts and more dark green salads, hummous, coconut milk and kombucha... fruits and veg raw as you say you like.i am vegan and i recommend vegetarian at minimum and vegan if you can give up the macaroni and cheese with cheese substitutes at least at first. there is good vegan cheese out there but its mainly soy and you gotta be careful to not overdo the soy its hard to digest if you do it for years it messes with you. meat substitutes are mainly soy too. but SE is right - its fine to start with that and then after you get death products out of your system, you will not want fake soy meats or even want portabellos done up like steak with onions anymore. i cant tolearate the smell or look of meat and fake meat is equally ikky to me. so use it to transition, but dont be dependant on it, use beans of all kinds, lentils etc and chickpeas. hommus and sprouted are raw or soak and cook the beans like chili, on pasta, indian dal, stew w veggies, mexican, there are a million things you can make with beans. recipes are free online in blogs you probably never need to pay for a book.and use the same spices you would use in soul cooking and condiments and doctor up that fake chicken - this will go a long way to make you not feel deprived of what everyone else is eating. barbeque can be healthy if its not meat but fried anything even veggies will kill you.
updated by @amma-niradhara: 07/22/15 06:15:39AM
FoxyFresh
@foxyfresh
8 years ago
105 posts
Cool. I'll have to check out that site... I eat macaroni and cheese, but I can deal with that. I'm not a cheese fanatic. I do like mushrooms, I can try that.. but I'm going to have to take baby steps towards this.. If you can't tolerate the smell of meat, isn't it hard to go out to a restaurant?.. As for me. I just have to get use to smelling it and not wanting to eat it.. thats a problem with in its self. Me and my mom had a talk about this. Maybe i can get her to do it too, it would be a lot easier If i didn't have to do it alone.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
27,885 posts
well you'll probly wanna eat at more veggie freindly resteraunts places like kfc will make ya sick to even go near empersonaly to me meat and shit smell almost exactly alike..not a pleasant or appetizing smell at all


--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
FoxyFresh
@foxyfresh
8 years ago
105 posts
You guys give some pretty good advice.. When I do ask other people, they just tell me to stop eating meat.. But its hard, especially if you've eaten meat your whole life..I love fruits and veggies. I eat fruit almost everyday.. a lot too. I get mad when I run out, lol. i do like vegetables also..Every now and then, I'll have them fresh, but I mostly get them out of the can..soaringeagle said:
well you'll probly wanna eat at more veggie freindly resteraunts places like kfc will make ya sick to even go near em
personaly to me meat and shit smell almost exactly alike..not a pleasant or appetizing smell at all
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
8 years ago
458 posts
lol, I've heard other people say that cooking meat and shit smell exactly alike to them. I know what you mean about feeling like you cant give up meat. I've always been the type to say "If it doesn't moo at me I don't want it". But talking to enough people about the health benefits of a vegetarian diet made me want to at least try it. Being vegetarian cuts your risk of cancer by about half from what i've been reading. Eating raw foods or at least fresh foods(nothing from cans or bags) will most likely make you feel more energetic than you have ever felt.I've slipped a few times but I'm going on week 2 of cutting out all meat. No eggs either so if I could cut out the milk in my coffee I'd be doing good.a good breakfast thing is what I like to call my mud soup(green smoothie) lol. The reference is for the consistency not the flavor, it's actually pretty good. It's mostly raw greens like spinach, collard greens or kale and whatever fruit you choose, I like kiwi and mango and throw it in the blender with some water. Really healthy. kale is a little intense though.Portabello mushrooms are awesome...Someone also recommended shitake mushrooms to me.
Matthew
@matthew
8 years ago
109 posts
Lmao, I couldn't agree more with you SE, just the thought of meat makes me clench my stomach. :xsoaringeagle said:
well you'll probly wanna eat at more veggie freindly resteraunts places like kfc will make ya sick to even go near em
personaly to me meat and shit smell almost exactly alike..not a pleasant or appetizing smell at all
KnottyKonner
@knottykonner
8 years ago
40 posts
Or you can start out as a lovo vegitarian.. I think that's what it's called!:) but you only eat certain meats!

Khanka Inthshe said:
You guys give some pretty good advice.. When I do ask other people, they just tell me to stop eating meat.. But its hard, especially if you've eaten meat your whole life..I love fruits and veggies. I eat fruit almost everyday.. a lot too. I get mad when I run out, lol. i do like vegetables also..Every now and then, I'll have them fresh, but I mostly get them out of the can..soaringeagle said:
well you'll probly wanna eat at more veggie freindly resteraunts places like kfc will make ya sick to even go near em
personaly to me meat and shit smell almost exactly alike..not a pleasant or appetizing smell at all
FoxyFresh
@foxyfresh
8 years ago
105 posts
lovo vegigie. Hehe. thats cute.. i will find something that works for me.. there are certain foods that I eat and they make me feel like crap. This is the longest I've went without eating Mcdonalds..its been 6months so far. Me and my friend both ate it, we use to eat it all the time but that night did it for us it made us-- so sick. I can't even stand to see their commercials on t.v.. I've never felt that bad from eating food. It felt like a pile of grease just sitting in my tummy.. it was so gross..your suppose to be full happy and satisfied with your meal.. i was in awesome mood until i ate that shit..
ourdub
@ourdub
8 years ago
47 posts
it's a wonderful and noble cause to consider the health of the entire body, over a momentary sensation of taste. Living alone has granted the ability to control what comes in the house. looks like a lot of this conversation has focused on meat.. if it is difficult to cut it out all together, you might consider cutting a large portion up as a flavor enhancer as opposed to a main course..example1:huge steak and potato - you could chop it up and make some sort of stir fry with a lot of vegetables and rice. example2: chicken and mashed potatoes/gravy - you could cut up the chicken and drop it into a much larger salad. i found in the past this really had extended my food as well.. turning one chicken breast into a few meals.for me - i have not been able to convert to vegetarian, but that helps cut out a lot of the meat i am taking in. i do admit to eating much more fish than red meat.someone recently mentioned to me shopping at regular grocery stores around the perimeter/walls. i never noticed but since then every grocery store i have went into has most all their fresh things along the outside, and all their frozen/canned/processed foods stored in the middle isles.for me an easier first step is considering your body when purchasing something you are going to stick in your mouth. - is it 'good for my body?' 'is it bad for my body?' 'is it just fill/neutral to my body?' i try to eat as fresh and as close to nature as possible while limiting 'large' portions of meats. not claiming to be the 'healthiest' - but it has helped me eat healthier. cutting out meat all together over night left me discouraged and i gave up. i am finding i am able to cook more meals now which are just as good with or without the meat, making a transition much easier.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
27,885 posts
its so easy to quite meat completely..think about what it is..not food but a dead animal...no different from your pets..but dead...look at your own body..skin muscles bones..could you concider your body food?can you picture your friends chopping you up and ewatting your flesh? its not natural..but you became desensatised to what meat is really you think of it as food not what it really is just a dead animal..no different from you when your dead..once u stop meat a few months it becomes the grossest thing youy can imagine...the smell is horrible! (youd rather stick yopur head in an overflowing toilet full of puke and diarhia then smell a steak cooking)..its death.. the very idea naturaly should turn your stomachbut through creative marketting your made to think its edible even tastes goodbut when you quite for awhile the thought of it is gross even non meat veggie burgers that are made to taste meartlike are grossbut there are easy transition foods like veggie burgers and seatan and stuff that make meat obsoleter.dub said:
it's a wonderful and noble cause to consider the health of the entire body, over a momentary sensation of taste. Living alone has granted the ability to control what comes in the house. looks like a lot of this conversation has focused on meat.. if it is difficult to cut it out all together, you might consider cutting a large portion up as a flavor enhancer as opposed to a main course..
example1:huge steak and potato - you could chop it up and make some sort of stir fry with a lot of vegetables and rice. example2: chicken and mashed potatoes/gravy - you could cut up the chicken and drop it into a much larger salad. i found in the past this really had extended my food as well.. turning one chicken breast into a few meals.

for me - i have not been able to convert to vegetarian, but that helps cut out a lot of the meat i am taking in. i do admit to eating much more fish than red meat.

someone recently mentioned to me shopping at regular grocery stores around the perimeter/walls. i never noticed but since then every grocery store i have went into has most all their fresh things along the outside, and all their frozen/canned/processed foods stored in the middle isles.

for me an easier first step is considering your body when purchasing something you are going to stick in your mouth. - is it 'good for my body?' 'is it bad for my body?' 'is it just fill/neutral to my body?' i try to eat as fresh and as close to nature as possible while limiting 'large' portions of meats. not claiming to be the 'healthiest' - but it has helped me eat healthier. cutting out meat all together over night left me discouraged and i gave up. i am finding i am able to cook more meals now which are just as good with or without the meat, making a transition much easier.



--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
 
 / 3
 
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form