Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

veggie vegan omni ital? whats your diet and hows it relate to your dreadiness (if at all)

DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

My husband I and became pescatarians a few months before I started dreading. I always LOVED meat. I couldn't eat a meal without it, so when my husband tried to convince me... it took 2 years before I agreed. Then it was mainly because we don't trust meat anymore. Watching Food Inc, etc, the hormones and such that they are pumping in our "food" is ridiculous. Then we drove through Texas and saw the lots where they would keep cattle before butchering - it's a shame! Concentration camps for cows. There's no grass, just mud and feces, and the cows looks so sickly and miserable. Those were my reasons for quitting meat. After about a month of "detox", amazing I got used to not eating meat. I got more creative with cooking and found that when the craving for meat came, products like Morningstar really tasted as good to me as any meat product. We eat occasional seafood as a treat (we love fishing together), and I still add in goat cheese (because I LOVE it), but our "dairy" is mostly just rice, almond, or coconut milk. And on occasion egg whites. I don't mind eating the products from animals as much as I do the animals themselves. The best thing for me, is that I used to feel an addiction to food, struggling with my weight for years. Since we've cut out meat (and fast food, etc), and have started eating healthy, I don't feel that craving for food but rather just a healthy desire to eat when hungry. As a consequence, I've actually lost 20 lbs slowly over a few months without much effort. That's a huge plug for vegetarianism, in my opinion! On top of that, I feel awesome! More energy than ever, more freedom, and more adventure. It really is an adventure to go to the grocery store and try things I'd never have tried before. Where food used to be a prison for me, it's now a joy as there is so much to discover!

updated by @taby: 07/03/15 06:04:42AM
Erika Ostroski
@erika-ostroski
12 years ago
22 posts

I would totally eat meat if there was an apocalypse. I think hunting is far more humane than slaughterhouses. Unfortunately, we don't hunt at the moment, so I don't eat meat :P

Homestar said:

Wow guys, looks like this discusson is quite heated (just read back a few pages).
At the end of the day, this is the answer:

During the zombie apocalypse, you will eat whatever you can get your hands on..

:P
Ryan6
@shiftyeyes
12 years ago
19 posts
I am an omnivore therefore I eat meat. I hunt my own meat and raise my own meat. I don't get into the whole veggie thing, I like greens and eat quite a bit of them but I can't do just veggies alone. I don't hunt simply for sport, I fill my freezer and feed myself and others with it. No religious reasons just prefer to know and stay close to where my food comes from.
JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
11 years ago
96 posts

i eat meat. but i get my meat from an amish farm... they live happy lives. i don't approve of CAFOs, grain feeding, etc. I am also gluten free. Gluten makes me really sick.

ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
11 years ago
102 posts
I've been avoiding all meat from farmed animals since I was 12. I still eat fish, but only wild and only very few species (alot of fish has high level of toxins).I think there's a difference between one animal species and the other. There's a difference between a cow, which takes care of it's young, is a social animal which is capable of mourning the death of it's relatives and a snake, which completely lacks the part of the brain that's used for the more complicated emotions in most mammals and birds. Since we don't kill people and eat them (would be great if we could do this with politicians) and justify it by saying "Well they had a nice life..." then I think that eating an animal like a cow isn't ethical either when it isn't essential for survival.Just think about Bambi's mother, will ya?And the way meat is produced these days is terribly unhealthy. And it's really expensive. Why would I eat a steak when I can get the same number of calories for 1/5th of the price in the form of lentils? When your as big of a health freak and cheapass as I am then eating meat is the first thing to go, so it's not like I even need the ethics to stay away from it. Apart from financial ethics, maybe.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Coming from an area that has a huge deer population, I am all for hunting deer. Obviously in their season and not over hunting. But when you see deer dying from starvation because they are too overpopulated, and getting hit by cars left and right, you start to understand the need to thin the heard. Sterilization is not a huge practice here.

I don't agree with mounting antlers on your wall, but there's nothing wrong with using the meat.

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I have been vegetarian for quite some time. The killing of any creature for any reason cannot be justified. Stop the killing, is what this world needs. It's not ok.

V2
@v2
11 years ago
75 posts

read primal body primal mind. Humans do need good fats, it just sucks that the way our meats are produced is awful all around and that in turn they aren't good at all. This is why I only eat grass fed meats and wild caught game, even my eggs and veggies are local.

katietheladi
@katietheladi
11 years ago
34 posts

I try to eat vegetarian as much as i can, avoid gluten, dairy and anything processed. I feel sick when i eat those things. but my partner is from samoa and visiting his family all they eat is meat and potatoes/taro and bread. and in their culture its rude to not accept food. its a tough one. going to the supermarket i notice a lot of fruit and veg from the US which seemsweirdbecause everything grows so well here in new zealand! when i first came to NZ i went into an organics shop and asked if they had any local free range meats and she told me all the meat in the supermarkets is free range but most likely not organic. a step in the right direction at least.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

JustsomeChick, there are Amish people in Florida? I didn't think they existed outside of Lancaster, Pa. That's awesome. There are a fewMennonitesthat set up a little market on a corner by my college. I buy produce from them when I have cash.

I'd love to be able to drive to Lancaster for meat for my wife. But it's a little too out of my way.

/ 20

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form