Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

About dreads and crochet hooks

Kid Ayn Gibran
@kid-ayn-gibran
13 years ago
25 posts

Actually that's not a common subject seeing that most people have never had an epidural. And I, being a man, had to take a minute to remember what an epidural is...and Google to confirm my assumption. But, again I digress.

Sara M~ )O( said:

There are so many subjects I could use as examples but this may not be the place. I'll use a common one. If everybody who has had an epidural experienced back pain like *I* and 1 out of 199 [1/100 x 2] other women do, then we could conclude that epidurals are not good ideas and should be avoided. But since that's not the case then recommending epidurals is not bad advice.

Wrong. The fact that I and many other women who have had epidurals experience this kind of back pain [and sometimes worse] is why epidurals probably should not be recommended. Now apply that to dreadlocks and a method of craft meant for yarn and thread, not hair.

Easy peasy.

updated by @kid-ayn-gibran: 07/09/15 03:30:52AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dude

how do ppl learn?

when your a kid and you dont know fires hot u stick your hand in fire unless your told no thats bad fires hot

if someone doesnt tell thenm the advice is bad then ppl get fooled into thinking its fgood advice

look at mr clean he has ppl pulling 1 dread inside another with a harpoon and convincing them its good

he also convinces you residues are evuil but residues a good idea when it has the dhhq label

ppl fall for bad advice all the time cause they arent told its bad advice

if you didnt know the nigerian scam was a scam and someone said ill give you 40 miolion if u just give nme acces to yur account to deposit it it seems like a good idea to get 40 million

cause noone told you they just empty your account

you know how many ppl get ripped off that way every year?

someone has to tel;l ppl when siomethings a bad idea or they never know its bad

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

It's not uncommon. Epidural is the most commonly administered anesthetic in the U.S. You so missed the point...

Kid Ayn Gibran said:

Actually that's not a common subject seeing that most people have never had an epidural. And I, being a man, had to take a minute to remember what an epidural is...and Google to confirm my assumption. But, again I digress.

Sara M~ )O( said:

There are so many subjects I could use as examples but this may not be the place. I'll use a common one. If everybody who has had an epidural experienced back pain like *I* and 1 out of 199 [1/100 x 2] other women do, then we could conclude that epidurals are not good ideas and should be avoided. But since that's not the case then recommending epidurals is not bad advice.

Wrong. The fact that I and many other women who have had epidurals experience this kind of back pain [and sometimes worse] is why epidurals probably should not be recommended. Now apply that to dreadlocks and a method of craft meant for yarn and thread, not hair.

Easy peasy.

Kid Ayn Gibran
@kid-ayn-gibran
13 years ago
25 posts

It's uncommon in the sense that using anesthetics is uncommon. It's not something one encounters everyday. I didn't miss the point I just didn't cover the point. That's why I said I DIGRESS.

Sara M~ )O( said:

It's not uncommon. Epidural is the most commonly administered anesthetic in the U.S. You so missed the point...

Kid Ayn Gibran
@kid-ayn-gibran
13 years ago
25 posts

Or sometimes one just has to live and experience. You can tell a toddler not to touch a hot stove (****you said fire, but I hope you meant stove), but they usually do, unless you associate it with pain beforehand, usually with corporal punishment. We become teenagers and rarely listen to our parents' good advice, until it's too late and we experience why the said 'no'. I guess my point is: We all know your position on anything except natural dreads. We get the picture. Everything else is flogging/beating a dead horse.

****We humans are born naturally fearing certain things like heights, fires, and snakes, of course their are abberations. So rarely do kids stick their hand in fire. I'm assuming you meant the stove.

soaring eagle said:

dude

how do ppl learn?

when your a kid and you dont know fires hot u stick your hand in fire unless your told no thats bad fires hot

if someone doesnt tell thenm the advice is bad then ppl get fooled into thinking its fgood advice

look at mr clean he has ppl pulling 1 dread inside another with a harpoon and convincing them its good

he also convinces you residues are evuil but residues a good idea when it has the dhhq label

ppl fall for bad advice all the time cause they arent told its bad advice

if you didnt know the nigerian scam was a scam and someone said ill give you 40 miolion if u just give nme acces to yur account to deposit it it seems like a good idea to get 40 million

cause noone told you they just empty your account

you know how many ppl get ripped off that way every year?

someone has to tel;l ppl when siomethings a bad idea or they never know its bad

Leah "Paddish"
@leah-paddish
13 years ago
16 posts

Wow so much went on in just a few hours lol...anywho...the reason they are "flaming" her about it is because she gave advice in a different post on here saying it was a good idea to crochet. I started with crocheting and once I read things on here about why it's not good to do, I stopped. And in 4 days time, just 4 days, I can tell the difference in letting my hair dread on it's own vs forcing it to look nice. It's worth it to let it be. They weren't telling her to stop, they were advising her she should, but it was (obviously) still her decision to make. They just dont want people giving false advice to others when they are, still new to the process. Most people on here (from what I have read) have started with the wrong ways and either have had to start over or it takes 2x as long to recover from the wrong ways. The advice the experienced ones give is worth listening to. They do know the right and wrong ways. Most prefer natural, but they even say if you don't want to go natural then do the TnR way. And truthfully if people don't want others responding to their public posts then they should make them private for their friends or post elsewhere. SE and most others are only trying to help, not harm. Most have experienced the wrong ways and if they haven't their friends have. SE has seen people lose their dreads to the wrong methods, that's how he can say what he says. I just know that I will never crochet my dreads again...or palm roll for that matter. I am leaving them alone. (with the exception of washing and the occasional aloe if I need to look nice)

and I am pretty sure SE meant fire, as in hot...a stove produces the same effect if touched. I have bonfires and had to warn my children that fire is hot, they knew stoves where hot, but fire looks different. So either way the message was the same...don't touch or it will hurt.

Evelyn Maes
@evelyn-maes
13 years ago
30 posts

Ok, I've read most of the replies and the starting post. I know what i'm going to say will not be very popular. My dreads were also made with e crochet hook. I don't use it to work on my dreads, only if some very weird bit of loose hair keeps on standing up (that just looks so silly). Then I put it in a dread but thats like almost never.

I'm also a member on a dutch dread forum where actually most of the people made their dreads with a crochet hook. Some of them even let their dreads "repair" as they call it or go to someone to make them "more presentable" also with the crochet hook. Now I constantly keep reading that your dreads will break off in a few months, that you will have multiple sets in just a year and so on. Now there are people there who have their dreads for 7, 10 of more years and they are still hanging on their heads. So for me that is just a very doom scenario and maybe it happens to people who really extremely over do it, but it's seriously not that horrible as presented here constantly.

Also, if you let your dreads do their thing, you really don't see the crochet structure any more, you just can't tell when they mature. I decided not to use a crochet hook to work on them because i just wanted to see the progress they make naturally. They were a huge mess for the last 3 months, I admit it was hard to not use that crochet hook but i survived. Now they are a bit older then 7 months and really starting to look nice.

So I just want to say, don't judge to much, especially if you for yourself don't have any experience with the crochet hook. She probably, just like the people on that dutch forum has dreads that will last for years even if she once and a while uses that hook. And it's ok to give some advise but I think it's wrong to push your opinion to someone else. If it is really that damaging they will see it for them selve.

Evelyn Maes
@evelyn-maes
13 years ago
30 posts

Ow, I have one more thing to ad to my reply. I have also seen people. As you can read in one of my blogs. Who do have clearly damaged dreads. Like that woman who also wanted to push her method and opinion on me. She has her dreads 6 years, she let someone work in them every 3 months. They are not broken but they still have that crochet structure (I really don't like it, it just doesn't look nice to me) and when I looked closely you really could see holes in her dreads. So that is what I call over doing it. They will not really fall of or break but won't look nice either if you over do it.

Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
13 years ago
74 posts

Kid Ayn Gibran said:

And actually it wasn't balding...too young for that. It just fell off in his sleep.

Uhm.... There's no age requirement for balding you know.
Though "usually" it doesn't kick in properly 'till 'round puberty at the earliest, unless there's a disease involved.

My husband, for example, has been pretty much bald since he was 18 years old.

Evelyn Maes said:

And it's ok to give some advise but I think it's wrong to push your opinion to someone else.

See, here's the thing.
No one went and sought this girl out and shoved their opinions or experiences in her face.
She came here and started a discussion on an open forum.
People replied, some of 'em even agreeing with her, and she responded by gettingbelligerent.

No one here "forced" her to listen, no one here "forced" her to read.

She came here.

Evelyn Maes
@evelyn-maes
13 years ago
30 posts

I know she opened the discussion and people just gave advise but it happens often people keep on repeating their opinions and experiences. I think it's enough to just tell her and leave it with that instead of posting like 5 times the same thing.

Hans Miniar Jnsson said:

Evelyn Maes said:

And it's ok to give some advise but I think it's wrong to push your opinion to someone else.

See, here's the thing.
No one went and sought this girl out and shoved their opinions or experiences in her face.
She came here and started a discussion on an open forum.
People replied, some of 'em even agreeing with her, and she responded by gettingbelligerent.

No one here "forced" her to listen, no one here "forced" her to read.

She came here.

/ 6

Dislike 4

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form