Dreadlocks Forums

Loctician dreads vs natural dreads: my journey and my (strong) opinions

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
exactly after all we are the ones using the term properly

NaturalWomyn said:
here we go again! The only negativity I see are from certain people who chose to use a starter method and want to hate on those of us that didn't for no apparent reason...Call your hair whatever the hell you want but don't expect some of us to agree just cause you call us elitists...geesh i thought we were over this...

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/23/15 08:05:20AM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts

anyway to answer the op's questions. I did nothing to start my locks and i do nothing to maintain them. I wash a couple times per week with bs and maylees soaps and I separated them in the beginning when it was needed. The reason I went natural/neglect was because I've never understood spending hours t&ring or backcombing or anything else to get my hair to look like I've done absolutely nothing to it. It just seemed like a few hours of my time that I would never get back. I don't feel it makes me above anybody else. That's the last time I will say that cause I'm getting a bit tired of having to defend my choice of going totally natural to be honest. I've never told anyone they made the wrong choice by not choosing the same method in fact i regularly tell people on here to do their research and choose what's best for them. Whatever method someone decides is right for them they can most certainly have some badass lookin dreads.

I hope i gave some of the answers you were looking for and I'm sorry this thread was de-railed so badly with nonsense. I agree with your opinion it makes me very sad when people are swindled. We need to spread the word that dreads are not an instant hairstyle no matter the method you choose and we all need to be held accountable and do our research.

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
nah i prefer "dude' ;o)

rawsum said:
"totally natural" .. maybe add a "man " at the end now and again ... that works :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i afgree i went natural cause i was in the woods and it happened 1st time tho cause i knew no other way

i do think its the best waty dor most cause its the healthiest and teaches the most but i tell ppl to twist anhd rip revery fucking daty but i get popl calling me elistist just because i use the proper term properly and these same ppl insist on being able to use that same word improperly why ? maybe they attach some over importance to iot?

its just a word that has a meaning

if your a guy..who happens to be gay ..but you call yourself a girl does that make u a girl while u still dangle? no

if u wantesd to call it natural u shoulda committed to going natural if u wanna be a girl hack off the danglies..

seroiusly

why is it so important that u use that word? examine that and lewave us alone who use the rterm properly

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

and yea the whole main objective og the site osnt to promote 1 methods over another but teachy the truth abiut eachy one and to keep ppl from being swindled by locticians and product pushers and the like

id like to revive the suggestion of a good and bad loctician listijng or something

but the bad list will be ling and the good list very very short

--
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts

If I could take this back and post something different:

Topic:

Locticians/Salons who rip people off and people who give bad advice, piss me off!!!

Body:

It sucks that people gain monitary benefit or any other for that matter by ruining other people's hair! I wish that people would just give good advice. I also wish it was easier to find this site when searching for dreadlock tips. So let's try and make it #1 when using search engines by following SE's posting guidelines. Let us also try and help those we know have been ripped off and share the healthy dreadlock knowledge we have. By healthy I mean healthy, not specifically one method or way of maintaining necessarily, but healthy tips. (In my opinion these do not including interlocking, crogheting, using wax, perming, or handing cash to so-called professionals).

So, feel free to post your healthy tips here, what do you do? What do you suggest I do? Do you know ways to help people who have been ripped off and are now suffering damage due to poor loctician/salon service?

Please do not pick apart my discussion for every little detail and word I've used, I am no expert, I am looking for advice on healthy dreads and that is all. Thank you.

And that would ensure that there was no rediculous tangent on the wording, and my point would not have been missed. So...WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT MY MAINTENANCE ROUTINE AND DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? ;) I'll go ahead and try to help people when I have some real knowledge on the subject, so far all I've learned from this is that I shouldn't use the word natural unless I'm trying to start a debate.

Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts
That is awesome, this is what I was looking for, this is a different method, that I wouldn't imagine to be healthy, but it works for you. :) I hope your hair remains healthy and you continue to love your locks.

Jared Drury said:
Crochet was the best way for me. tnr and backcomb both fell aprt quick. that said i have short, coarse, oily hair that is very tough to break. So what would be destructive to someone with fine hair, had very limmited damage on mine. So far the hook gave me the only knots that took. I dont plan on doing reguralr matinance , and i did it myself (only spent $3 on the hook). Although the loose hair tool does look intriguing for after they mature of course. Oddly enough i learned how to crochet with the video from this site. :-)
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts

Please tell me you are kidding with me? :) I'll take it that way, I don't care if your dreads started by tying them up in sea weed (I've never heard of this hence why I used it as an example), I don't have anysay on the "natural" "non-natural" debate. That it what I was trying to put to rest.

I just want to know if others think what I am doing is healthy , could it be healthier , and does anyone have any healthy advice for damaged locks? And can we try really hard to get this site to show at the top when using a search engine?

And I think man or dude is pure preference hehe.

rawsum said:

ok .. I can't even begin to comment on your last semblance of a point .. geez.. I still say "man" instead of "dude" ffs ..

I did start a group for those that managed to develop dreads with any method other than NO method ...

I am curious how deep these NON method ways go though .. can you sit in front of the air conditioner and still call it "natural" dreads .. or hang your head out the car window for a trip .. would those be construed as UN natural knots and hence less than "natural" dreads .. just wondering how far one has to go to live up the title ?

You know of course I am commenting from a standpoint of discussion and not trying to heft anyone onto pedestals here .. just want to know the limits of your term .. for the day I am shamed to the point of shaving off my dreads and starting over natural .. or could it be termed non-method .. to save my self esteem .. just wondering ;)

Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts
no, no don't delete or apologize, I was assuming it was towards my post just before that, I got frustrated with how side tracked this got, but I need to let it go...hehe it's only a discussion. :)
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts

So, is this turning into another debate about what the definition of "natural" really is? :P

Nahh but in all seriousness, it bothers me a lot when people comment on how awful my hair looks and that they know people who can "fix" it or "make" dread locks for me.

I still can't fathom why people insist on paying money for salons and stuff to "maintain" your hair to look matted.

But I know that most of the black people I know who have "dreads", don't even look like real dreads, and I don't think they want to have "real" dreads, like different shapes/sizes and stuff. It's like a normal hair style that they go to the salon monthly for, like people who get there hair cut or braided and stuff.

idk, but I love my messy dreads, and all the messy baby dreads and the mature ones I see on here!

and IMHO, hair always gets knotty and locks up, naturally. You can comb it out, or let it stay and become dread locks. So, I think "going natural" is just not combing or kickstarting your dreads. Simple as that! :)

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form