Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Loctician dreads vs natural dreads: my journey and my (strong) opinions

Jeffree Vega.
@jeffree-vega
13 years ago
66 posts
I'm rather disappointed. This post was done in good faith to try and help people form healthy dreadlocks, whether they used a starting method or went freeform, has turned into a stupid debate.I'm tired of looking at discussions on this site for help and finding that it is just full of negativity and people being argumentative for no apparent reason.Anyway, as far as the original post goes:I started my current set of dreads with twist and rip. I wash them every second day with 'Simple' soap after giving them a quick spritz of salt water. I separate once or twice a week, depending on how much they are eating each other.With previous sets of dreads, I backcombed, palm rolled. I even attempted using a crochet hook, but it wasn't for me. I'm truly happy with the locks I now have as I found the right method for me.Everyone is different. Everyones hair is different and in turn, their methods of creating dreadlocks will be different. The good thing about the majority of the people on this forum is they will give whatever kind of information they have on all methods and let the person looking for help find the way that is right for them.
updated by @jeffree-vega: 07/23/15 05:54:11PM
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts
Hey thanks, I'm with you on the dissapointment, but i've let go of it, I see that some people will see past the arguement and leave posts like these. Just look what I started! Oh well, thanks for the input, you're reoutine sounds very simple and your dreads arebeautiful! I know that it isn't all about how they look too, I am concerned about how they knot up, how they feel and the health of the hair, and yours look healthy in the photo. :) What is "simple" soap?

Jeffree Vega. said:
I'm rather disappointed. This post was done in good faith to try and help people form healthy dreadlocks, whether they used a starting method or went freeform, has turned into a stupid debate.

I'm tired of looking at discussions on this site for help and finding that it is just full of negativity and people being argumentative for no apparent reason.

Anyway, as far as the original post goes:

I started my current set of dreads with twist and rip. I wash them every second day with 'Simple' soap after giving them a quick spritz of salt water. I separate once or twice a week, depending on how much they are eating each other.

With previous sets of dreads, I backcombed, palm rolled. I even attempted using a crochet hook, but it wasn't for me. I'm truly happy with the locks I now have as I found the right method for me.

Everyone is different. Everyones hair is different and in turn, their methods of creating dreadlocks will be different. The good thing about the majority of the people on this forum is they will give whatever kind of information they have on all methods and let the person looking for help find the way that is right for them.
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts

It makes me smile to read that you love your messy dreads, I love mine too! I get comments where people tell me what I should be doing, some people that don't have dreads, like maybe you should put rubberbands in or don't you need wax? Even people on here sometimes...nope, gonna let them be what they want to be and just keep them clean. :)

Yeah, I also see the people that do go to the salon regularly and they aren't really dreads, they look good, but not what I'm going for, I want lower maintenance, not higher or more expensive.

And I don't want to do it, but I gotta: Natural, apparently is a term some people are going to have to agree to disagree on, I started mine unnaturally, I helped them knot up with TnR, and now I am letting nature take it's course, with some assistance like washing and decorating. :) So more natural than going to a salon or loctician, semi-natural, not neglect, TnR, what have you, my dreads are dreading and I am concerned with keeping my hair healthy, not withwhatterm I'm using to describe the method.:)

Brandon Arnold said:

So, is this turning into another debate about what the definition of "natural" really is? :P

Nahh but in all seriousness, it bothers me a lot when people comment on how awful my hair looks and that they know people who can "fix" it or "make" dread locks for me.

I still can't fathom why people insist on paying money for salons and stuff to "maintain" your hair to look matted.

But I know that most of the black people I know who have "dreads", don't even look like real dreads, and I don't think they want to have "real" dreads, like different shapes/sizes and stuff. It's like a normal hair style that they go to the salon monthly for, like people who get there hair cut or braided and stuff.

idk, but I love my messy dreads, and all the messy baby dreads and the mature ones I see on here!

and IMHO, hair always gets knotty and locks up, naturally. You can comb it out, or let it stay and become dread locks. So, I think "going natural" is just not combing or kickstarting your dreads. Simple as that! :)

Jeffree Vega.
@jeffree-vega
13 years ago
66 posts
I love reading your posts, Crystal. You seem like a very genuine person and that is a rare thing nowadays.As much as I love how my dreads look, I'm like you. I want my hair to be as healthy as it can be and luckily, dreads is apart of that.The soap I use is from a company called Simple. There are a few variations on it, but the one I use is Simple Pure. They don't use anything harmful or destructive and it leaves my dreads feeling like a nice puffy cloud :P
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

maxe you aqre wrong and u are causeing troublew the name of the method is natural get over it stpolp acting like such a child the term natural is accepteed by everyone but you so knock it off seriusly..final warning

you are doing nothing but drama whoring

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

sorry i deleted that completely idiotic post cause there should be no more trolling and drama whoring and complete nonsence

so u have a problem with the actual definition..keep it to yoursel=f! stop causing trouble! the problem is with you and you alone your refusal to acceopt the meanning of the term mean you have no undserstanding of it at all

it should not affect others just cause u giot a stick up your ass

pull it out slowly and get on with your life

setiusly dude

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts
Rawsum created a group... Un-Natural dreads I think it's called...and if I'm not mistaken the post was probably deleted because it was irrelevant to the discussion I created, but I didn't get a chance to read it so I'm not sure...but I think that is a fair idea :)

Knottysleeves said:

SE, how about you create a post and leave it open (without censorship or closing discussion) where people can debate the "natural" terminology issue to their hearts content? Lack of consensus is why it sparks such huge debate all the time. It's obvious that everyone doesn't agree on the term -- not only here, but go to any other dread forum and you'll see that people there too interpret the term differently. And everyone has a right to be passionate about their opinion, so if that's "drama whoring" then we're all equally guilty. :-)

Then whenever a discussion starts veering into that territory, you (or whoever else is moderating) can simply step in and say "Please take it to the Terminology thread" so the discussion can get back on-topic. Immediately bringing down the banhammer and saying "My opinion/definition is the only correct one and I'm deleting your posts because you disagree" is really not constructive or being fair to the community.

☮Tex☮
@tex
13 years ago
15 posts
So so so much to read lol. I didn't realize how serious some have become over the hairstyle itself. I personally came to this site to learn other ways to form my dreadlocks and what the best method is. Everyone will choose which path they will take and go with trial and error from there. I like how the site shows BOTH sides. It shows you "natural" and "unnatural" methods and merely gives you opinions on both. I started doing my research just shortly after i started dreading (thank god) bc i almost went the crochet (quickest IMO) method of having the "dread look". I have zero patience so this would be my reason behind it but instead the only unnatural thing i have done is part my hair into sections just to make them look a bit more neat. In the back my hair is dreading something fierce lol but the top is taking its time..but i am told it takes time so i can only wait. Idc how you started the dreads that you made because honestly after a few years they all go natural on they're own. I for one decided to go as natural as possible and its not because of the site or feeling like an outsider but bc i LOVE my hair lol and i don't want to damage it.
Kary Audrey Myers
@kary-audrey-myers
13 years ago
1 posts

I started with the backcombing method, i didnt do alot of research before i started, i have only touched up once siince i started only back in April. This site has really encouraged me to go natural. I havent messed with them since. Im making my own shampoo out of oils and water. i havent used it yet, because im still trying not to wash alot since its only been 2 months. btw, am i on the right track by not washing so much this soon? and i am with you crystal, i am really smiley when ppl tell me they are messy and what not and what i can do to fix it, because the fact of the matter is i am in LOVE with my messy new hairdew, and no one can change my mind even if they look horrible to the next person, it is our opinion on our hair that matters!!! from here on out though, i will not pick that comb up again! thanks to all of you for ur imputs!!

Crystal O. said:

It makes me smile to read that you love your messy dreads, I love mine too! I get comments where people tell me what I should be doing, some people that don't have dreads, like maybe you should put rubberbands in or don't you need wax? Even people on here sometimes...nope, gonna let them be what they want to be and just keep them clean. :)

Yeah, I also see the people that do go to the salon regularly and they aren't really dreads, they look good, but not what I'm going for, I want lower maintenance, not higher or more expensive.

And I don't want to do it, but I gotta: Natural, apparently is a term some people are going to have to agree to disagree on, I started mine unnaturally, I helped them knot up with TnR, and now I am letting nature take it's course, with some assistance like washing and decorating. :) So more natural than going to a salon or loctician, semi-natural, not neglect, TnR, what have you, my dreads are dreading and I am concerned with keeping my hair healthy, not withwhatterm I'm using to describe the method.:)

Brandon Arnold said:

So, is this turning into another debate about what the definition of "natural" really is? :P

Nahh but in all seriousness, it bothers me a lot when people comment on how awful my hair looks and that they know people who can "fix" it or "make" dread locks for me.

I still can't fathom why people insist on paying money for salons and stuff to "maintain" your hair to look matted.

But I know that most of the black people I know who have "dreads", don't even look like real dreads, and I don't think they want to have "real" dreads, like different shapes/sizes and stuff. It's like a normal hair style that they go to the salon monthly for, like people who get there hair cut or braided and stuff.

idk, but I love my messy dreads, and all the messy baby dreads and the mature ones I see on here!

and IMHO, hair always gets knotty and locks up, naturally. You can comb it out, or let it stay and become dread locks. So, I think "going natural" is just not combing or kickstarting your dreads. Simple as that! :)

Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts
I think you only need to wash your hair when you feel the need. I wait until the first day it starts to feel oily at the scalp, which now can be up to 4 days. The less you wash the more your scalp gets used to not trying to replenish the natural oils as much and the longer you can go. Some people only need to wash once a week, others 2-3 times, some even every day due to a lot of excercise or work. It really it up to you and how you feel, the hair will dread if not combed as long as it is not oily or conditioned. Good luck to you and your new dreads! :)

Kary Audrey Myers said:

I started with the backcombing method, i didnt do alot of research before i started, i have only touched up once siince i started only back in April. This site has really encouraged me to go natural. I havent messed with them since. Im making my own shampoo out of oils and water. i havent used it yet, because im still trying not to wash alot since its only been 2 months. btw, am i on the right track by not washing so much this soon? and i am with you crystal, i am really smiley when ppl tell me they are messy and what not and what i can do to fix it, because the fact of the matter is i am in LOVE with my messy new hairdew, and no one can change my mind even if they look horrible to the next person, it is our opinion on our hair that matters!!! from here on out though, i will not pick that comb up again! thanks to all of you for ur imputs!!

Crystal O. said:

Brandon Arnold said:

/ 4
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form