dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

locticians the silly and damaging things they do

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

locticians and the silly damaging things they do to dreads

so you've thought about a loctician? maybe your young ad your parents wont let you dread unless you go to a loctician and get professional dreads, maybe you just believe like so many that dreading is complicated and easy to mess up so you think a loctician will do a better job.so some of the things your average loctician might do and why its not right for you.african loctician caucasian clientoften you might think going to an african american or black loctician means they know more about dreading, however this is usualy not the case, some might know a few ok ways to dread african hair but generaly nothing about other hair types.some locticians will suggest:1 dread perms claiming straight hair wont dread without it thats false and dread perms are a disaster and cannot be repaired2 twists twists with gell braids twists brainds with wax- twists and braids wont dread in caucasian hair gel is conditioning they will fall apart, wax never belongs in any dreads ever3 interlocking latch hooking or crocheting- these methods are very very bad for any hair but african hair has a slightly better chance to survive4 glue on extentions5 weaves and crocheting fake hair in6 yarn braids - braiding tarn and hair together expecting it to dread7 sewing or tying thread around the rootsany loctician any client1 ok the silliest i heard was a loctician in england told a freind "we dont use wax cause wax is bad for dreads" so instead they used liquid latex..yes rubber..a bucketload she had rubber dreads!2 crochet its a dangerouse new fad they look neat fast but the damage is extreme they need constant repair forever the repair causing more damage3wax wax wax some even use lots and lots of it tthey look rediculouse and never really dread4 tell you not to wash or even wet your hair ..some as long as a year! but most at least a month to 3 -- washing helps dreads dread not washings just gross5 telling you only (wax crochet or dread perms) will work on your hair they use the most damaging methods out of laziness6 felting - total dread destruction7 honey syrup glue anything stickymore..maintenancethey "fix" developing dreads that are dreading as they should using harmful methodsrepeat "tightenings"over twisting interlockimg crochetingand finaly the biggest silly thing of allcharge up to and over 700 dollars to do what u can do free...and better

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 01/13/15 08:47:07PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well im sure theres plenty i missed so add to it the silly things youve seen if u want..add pics of the disasterouse results too

--
Matt7
@matt7
14 years ago
11 posts
Haha the silliest thing i've ever seen, is that people tell you that your hair won't dread cause your caucasion/asian etc. And if you do, it has to be done professionally..
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
exactly ..my sis's ex was japanese.. his literaly dreaded over night! if he didnt braid before bed he woke up with 3-6 huge huge dreadsand i dont mean 3-6 dreads and alotta loose hairs i mean all his hair would lock up into 3 -6 massive dreads with no loose hairs..in just 8 hours sleep

Matt said:
Haha the silliest thing i've ever seen, is that people tell you that your hair won't dread cause your caucasion/asian etc. And if you do, it has to be done professionally..

--
Matt7
@matt7
14 years ago
11 posts
Holy crap! That is crazy! I was told that asians and whites couldn't do it on their own. I didn't believe them of course as I had gone just a week without brushing my hair before and it starts to knot up :P
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
14 years ago
51 posts
Great topic.Yeah I remember the first time I wanted to dread I went to an African American lady and she did Braided Twists Or Plaids...and I thought they would dread. Haha Big No. I didn't pay over a hundred so I didn't get Ripped off THAT much.
Hannah Clarke
@hannah-clarke
14 years ago
29 posts
I completely agree that there is no point going and paying for a "loctition" to do your hair when you can get better results from doing practically nothing! I had a friend of a friend who was going to a locition, I'm from the North of England and they were paying loads of money getting down to London and then paying 200 for someone to dread them!! I couldn't believe it! When I told them they should stay at home and do it themselves and wax is awful :( they spoke to me as if they knew best although I had had mine for a year... They've done it now anyway and tbh they looks awful and sticky, all pointy and stiff with no character :(
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
One of my brothers (I have 3 plus a sister) a while back had is hair back-combed waxed with glued- in extension that were not the same color has is hair all of this done by a "professional", he shaved his head a few months after.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form