Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Sectioning

Zen Rasta
@zen-rasta
14 years ago
19 posts
So.... many thanks to SE for talking me out of hair extensions and locticians. I'ma do it maself! I'll be using the twist and forget method and I'll probably start within the next 30 days (my hair is a lil less than an inch). My only debate is how I'm going to section it.I plan to sleep with an acrylic touque (similar to wool) to help the process, hopefully reduce frizz, and keep it looking somewhat professional for work. I might use Dr. B's almond soap to wash it once a week (or should i switch to BS and ACV?)Any advice, videos, links or photos are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanceAttached is a current photo of me.Live and Love
updated by @zen-rasta: 01/13/15 08:46:47PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
acrylics not the same as woolyour hair will dread short so dont worry bout the lengthand sectioning thin about the size of a pencil so 1/8-1/4 inch medium 1/2 inch thick bout an inch

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Zen Rasta
@zen-rasta
14 years ago
19 posts
so basically, pencil sized sections, brick layer pattern, get a wool hat, and don't worry about washing method (either method is good). Thank you so much. I'll post another pic when i start it.Blessings
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
eh well if u insist on regular even sectioning either stagared brick pattern or trianglesbut a more random sectioning will give a more natural look

--
Violet Lehew-Fletcher
@violet-lehew-fletcher
14 years ago
8 posts
Not all "locticians" are wax using hacks. I own Knotty By Nature and I do dreadlocks in many different ways. I have never had anyone else work on my hair, but I love working on people's dreads and seeing how happy they are with their results
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
unfortunately the bad ones outweigh the good by far :o( Violet Lehew-Fletcher said:
Not all "locticians" are wax using hacks. I own Knotty By Nature and I do dreadlocks in many different ways. I have never had anyone else work on my hair, but I love working on people's dreads and seeing how happy they are with their results
Zen Rasta
@zen-rasta
14 years ago
19 posts
Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to look for a wool hat to sleep in before I twist my hair. I love in the Toronto area. Anyone know of a good place to get a hand made wool hat?

Chewin Change said:
wool is different than acrylic cause it causes hairs to attract to themselves like a magnet whereas acrylic can create static and pull them apart. when you twist be gentle
Violet Lehew-Fletcher
@violet-lehew-fletcher
14 years ago
8 posts
Yeah, that makes me really sad because I am one of the good ones. LOL. I have talked to SE and he even approves of my techniques. There are some people that don't know better and request weird things, but I try to accommodate all types of dreadheads. I won't use wax unless I am specifically asked to, and even then I use as little as possible to cause as little damage as possible. I would rather someone come to me than to slather their dreads with wax.... You know?I even try to help those folks that have free form dreads. I can help "Section" them by ripping locked pieces apart (if so desired). My mom always told me that she would rather me do something with her help so she knows I am safe, rather than to try to do it on my own and hurt myself.... I guess I feel the same way about dreadlocks.

NaturalWomyn said:
unfortunately the bad ones outweigh the good by far :o(

Violet Lehew-Fletcher said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well 1 thing i saw knotty and nice do that i totaly did not agree with was there was a kid with 1 month dreads that looked exactly like 1 month dreads should look and then he came to u and im guessing u crocheted them1st they looked better b4 they wrre done and 2 they were progressing exactly as they should have progressed and the crochet would mean an extra 6 months ti recover from the crochetat 1 month theres no reason ever to interfere in the progress

--
Violet Lehew-Fletcher
@violet-lehew-fletcher
14 years ago
8 posts
He had had a dread perm and they werent coming along like they should have been. I did not use a crochet hook down the length of his dreads. He wanted his ends blunted so I did some backcombing (THE CLIENT DID NOT WANT FREE FORM DREADS) then pulled the ends up into the dread. I crochet the ends to hold the hairs inside the dread. Everything I did was at the request of the client and he is much happier now. The way they turned out was exactly the way he wanted them.You may not like the way they looked afterward, but the client was thrilled to pieces. I do what the client wants. I know how to use the crochet technique without causing and significant damage.

soaringeagle said:
well 1 thing i saw knotty and nice do that i totaly did not agree with was there was a kid with 1 month dreads that looked exactly like 1 month dreads should look and then he came to u and im guessing u crocheted them
1st they looked better b4 they wrre done and 2 they were progressing exactly as they should have progressed and the crochet would mean an extra 6 months ti recover from the crochet

at 1 month theres no reason ever to interfere in the progress
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form