Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Already used a lot of wax, am I fucked?

Dane McMillen
@dane-mcmillen
14 years ago
24 posts
Hello I've been having a girl dread my hair by backcombing for the past 2 weeks. It's about halfway done. The first week until I read this website I drenched the dreads in wax. To be honest I used the wax again today because I've been surfing a lot lately and the salt water is making the dreads fall out. At the same time though the salt water has helped remove a lot of the wax. I can still feel it caked in the dreads though. I just read some more posts on here today and am freaking out because everybody that used wax is saying they had to cut their dreads off. I don't understand why this is. What does the wax do to make people cut their dreads off? I don't know what to do because half of my head is still undreaded so I could do half without wax but how do you get the dreads to stay together? I have really straight thin hair and even when I use wax they seem like they are starting to undread. I need help, what would you do if you were in my shoes? I really don't want to have to shave my head.
updated by @dane-mcmillen: 02/14/15 06:12:54AM
Jcisazombie
@jcisazombie
14 years ago
40 posts
You can remove the wax from your dreads usually!try this link http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/dread-wax-removal-is-finally#axzz0xsgaMGep and with backcombing, it seems like they come out but just don't touch them or bother them and let them do there thing and they'll dread up.When you backcomb, they look worse before they look better.Salt water is also really good for dreads, it helps the process a lot.=)
Dane McMillen
@dane-mcmillen
14 years ago
24 posts
So I shouldn't palm roll them? Would you remove the wax if you were me? What would happen if I left the wax in? Jcisazombie said:
You can remove the wax from your dreads usually!
try this link

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/dread-wax-removal-is-finally#axz...

and with backcombing, it seems like they come out but just don't touch them or bother them and let them do there thing and they'll dread up.
When you backcomb, they look worse before they look better.

Salt water is also really good for dreads, it helps the process a lot.
=)
Jcisazombie
@jcisazombie
14 years ago
40 posts
I'd remove it if I was you for sure.You'll end up with nasty hair if you leave the wax in it.Especially if you used a lot.If you want your dreads to look, and feel good and last, there's no better route than natural.As long as you just let your hair do what it wants after you get the wax out, it'll dread.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dread wax prevents dreading...surfing causes dreadingdont waste 2 weeks backcombing just go surfingu gotta get all that wax out all of it its preventing the knots from formingthen aklll u gotta do is be patient and dreads will form especialy if u surfif u want to make instead of grow dreads use twist and rip not backcomb

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dane McMillen
@dane-mcmillen
14 years ago
24 posts
Cool, so basically just not wash it? I use to have really long hair about 14 inches. At this time in life I had a substance abuse problem and didn't wash my hair for 2 months. I remember parts of it started to dread and I would twist them and palm roll sometimes but they always just fell out. Jcisazombie said:
I'd remove it if I was you for sure.
You'll end up with nasty hair if you leave the wax in it.
Especially if you used a lot.
If you want your dreads to look, and feel good and last, there's no better route than natural.
As long as you just let your hair do what it wants after you get the wax out, it'll dread.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dread wax traps dirt and water leads to mold the dreads get stiff stickly and gross they never truly dread they are just glues togetherno palm rollings uselessjust get alllll the wax oit even if u gotta comb out all the knots and start over

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dane McMillen
@dane-mcmillen
14 years ago
24 posts
what is twist and rip? and should i use anything to prevent them from falling out or just make sure to not wash my hair for a while? i really like the idea of them being all natural and wax free, i think i'm actually going to do this. once the wax is all out and hair combed i might even cut an inch or two off so the ends don't keep splitting, or does that not matter? soaringeagle said:
dread wax prevents dreading...surfing causes dreading
dont waste 2 weeks backcombing just go surfing

u gotta get all that wax out all of it its preventing the knots from forming
then aklll u gotta do is be patient and dreads will form especialy if u surf

if u want to make instead of grow dreads use twist and rip not backcomb
Jcisazombie
@jcisazombie
14 years ago
40 posts
No, you should wash your hair.Everyone on this website washes their dreads, it's a misconception that they don't.Most of them use natural soap though because it doesn't have any residue in it, which most commercial shampoo does. Dane McMillen said:
Cool, so basically just not wash it? I use to have really long hair about 14 inches. At this time in life I had a substance abuse problem and didn't wash my hair for 2 months. I remember parts of it started to dread and I would twist them and palm roll sometimes but they always just fell out.

Jcisazombie said:
I'd remove it if I was you for sure.
You'll end up with nasty hair if you leave the wax in it.
Especially if you used a lot.
If you want your dreads to look, and feel good and last, there's no better route than natural.
As long as you just let your hair do what it wants after you get the wax out, it'll dread.
Jcisazombie
@jcisazombie
14 years ago
40 posts
Agreed Knottysleeves said:
READ the FAQs and Dreaducation. All your questions are answered in there.

updated by @jcisazombie: 06/16/15 06:06:24PM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form