Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Already used a lot of wax, am I fucked?

Dane McMillen
@dane-mcmillen
14 years ago
24 posts
thanks a lot for the details. what you are saying makes a lot of sense. it's funny i've actually had more than one person say, "so are those gunna be dreads or something?" cuz they do look like candlesticks. do naturally formed dreads tend to look better than backcombed dreads? the sections of "dreads" i have at the moment kind of look funky because they aren't sporadic and checkered but rather in rows, so there are a few spots with parts which i think doesn't look very good. Knottysleeves said:
Hair does not need wax or any other product in order to dread. Even thin straight hair, which many of us on this forum (including myself) have, will dread.

I know it's a difficult concept to grasp, but you honestly don't need to do ANYTHING to your hair. It will knot up by itself. All the things that people do daily such as conditioning, combing, brushing and styling are done to PREVENT your hair from matting and dreading up! So when you stop doing those things, presto... your hair will tangle naturally.

However, the dreading process takes time. You cannot "make" dreads overnight... backcombing only kickstarts the natural knotting process and forces your hair into sections. It's completely normal for some (sometimes, all) of the backcombing to unravel while your hair moves around and settles into knots. This process takes weeks and months, not days!

Wax only helps your hair stick together into sections that LOOK like dreads, while actually delaying the natural knotting process... and when you stop waxing, your "dreads" will fall apart because they haven't actually dreaded yet.

Read the Dreaducation post and FAQs. Expecting backcombed sections to magically turn into dreads overnight is completely unrealistic, sorry.

updated by @dane-mcmillen: 07/17/15 02:41:45AM
Dane McMillen
@dane-mcmillen
14 years ago
24 posts
Ok definitely will do. Knottysleeves said:
READ the FAQs and Dreaducation. All your questions are answered in there.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
exactly waxy backcombed dreads dont look right at allget the wazx out and go nayural if they dont dread easy u can twist and roip (theres alotta info on here) but id 1sdt gert the wax out and let them section themselves naturally at leastsrry way too tired to type

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
yea man all you got to do is wash thats it, your hair will section its self and it will dread, and with time of coarse, but the salt water will help you out a ton, but yea first get that wax out its just gross, and i too used to have real strait hair, all my life, and in like 2 half months later, its gone crazy lol, but pretty much all sectioned out, and really coming along, here is a pic, and keep in mind, this used to be really strait hair lol

Dane McMillen
@dane-mcmillen
14 years ago
24 posts
I guess I still don't understand how the hair will dread on itself. My hair is about 6 inches right now and all I do is wash it, towel dry, shake, and go but it's never dreaded.
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
This link should show you discussions regarding Twist and Rip, which is the fastest way to force results from thin, straight hair. The results are more uniform than the natural method, and is relatively harmless. T&R dreads run the risk of looking braided or crocheted, so so practice will be required. It took me about two weeks to T&R my entire head, and all of them fell out except for the last inch closest to the dreads. My hair locked up over the course of 16 weeks.With 6 inches of straight hair, you probably won't see anything resembling a dreadlock for a good while. Since you tried wax, I assume you want your hair to start looking gnarly soon. It's up to you. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/searchresults-1?cx=partner-pub-1147632186808710%3Atb11kk-357z&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Twist+and+Rip&sa=Search#1018
Dane McMillen
@dane-mcmillen
14 years ago
24 posts
Hey thanks for the reply. I did a little twisting and ripping just to see how it would go and it was relatively easy however I could see how it would fall out easily. I just removed all the backcombed dreads and wax from my hair and combed it completely straight again. My hair doesn't dread easily on it's own so I figured twisting and ripping might be a good way to get things jump started. Did you twist and rip all of them and then just let them be and eventually they locked up over the 16 weeks? Ryan Emmel said:
This link should show you discussions regarding Twist and Rip, which is the fastest way to force results from thin, straight hair. The results are more uniform than the natural method, and is relatively harmless. T&R dreads run the risk of looking braided or crocheted, so so practice will be required. It took me about two weeks to T&R my entire head, and all of them fell out except for the last inch closest to the dreads. My hair locked up over the course of 16 weeks.

With 6 inches of straight hair, you probably won't see anything resembling a dreadlock for a good while. Since you tried wax, I assume you want your hair to start looking gnarly soon. It's up to you.
http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/searchresults-1?cx=partner-pub-1...
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
Ideally, the hair should be left alone, but honestly, I was fiddling and retightening habitually. I think if I'd left them alone, they would have come out softer, but all my work made them kinda bristly. Give it a shot. If it stays locked near the roots, then don't worry about the rest of your hair. If all the knots come out, try again, possibly with different sections.Also, T&R can come out looking braided. You have to be careful that you mix your clumps for maximum randomness. Dane McMillen said:
Did you twist and rip all of them and then just let them be and eventually they locked up over the 16 weeks?

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form