Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

soap for dreads

Brenda Stump Fazio
@brenda-stump-fazio
11 years ago
7 posts

If you have an itchy scalp, essential oils of Cedarwood, Patchouli, Rosemary, tea tree, lavender, Peppermint, lemon, benzoin can treat that. Also, maybe try mixing your baking soda with green tea water.

I practice herbal medicine and I make a shampoo bar that has: Saponified Oils of Olive, Coconut, Palm, Safflower and Castor. Aloe Vera Gel, Green Tea, Fresh Lemon, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Vitamin E, Rosemary Extract, Mica, Activated Charcoal, Essential Oils of Lavender, Benzoin Resin, Lemon, Patchouli and Cedarwood.

If you are interested in trying it, you can find it at https://www.etsy.com/listing/125104658/dandruff-psoriasis-antiitch-green-tea?

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

ohhh that soap looks fantastic.

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
If you mix your bs solution too weak, it won't exfoliate your scalp and get rid of dead skin and dirt. The ratio BarrelLady gave is correct and amazing! I the search tab up top, search for 'baking soda and sea salt ratios' It should bring up a post by Baker Street, I think. That is the, hands down, most comprehensive detailed description of the recipes you need. Start with that mixture (1/2C to 5C) for a few weeks then start to tweak it as needed. It may be too drying for African type hair, tho. Always always always do a quick acv rinse after you use BS. Basically, I'm reiterating everything BL said. You can ask SE if you feel the need, but he'll say the same thing lol
Brenda Stump Fazio
@brenda-stump-fazio
11 years ago
7 posts

Try two drops each of lavender and lemon and one drop each of patchouli and cedarwood.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

thanks all, I'm just sticking with the fantastic BS/ACV that I've used for a year and dreadlock shampoo, and of course essential oils. That's all that works with my well water, so at least I have it all figured out, trial and error as the saying goes. Now the Nag Champa just washes my body, love the aroma, especially my incense sticks.

Brenda Stump Fazio
@brenda-stump-fazio
11 years ago
7 posts

If anyone here is interested in trying a sample of my dreadlock shampoo bars, I have created a listing for you on my site.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/126641003/free-sample-carrot-and-spice-dreadlock?

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Pure drops of EO's(diluted with just water) on sensitive scalp can be tricky. For someone with dandruff it can cause the apocalypse or can be a magic bullet.

I find that two drops total for one cup of water(in a squirt bottle) is perfect for me. Gets the job done without making the hair or scalp oily. Others can use quite a few more. Just a personal opinion but I think that with a sensitive scalp it might be wise to go slowly. Just my two cents, though. Add an additional drop each time to find what your tolerance is. When you hit it then back off by a drop or so and then go from there. Each type of essential oil has it's own quirks, too.

I had a thought about this last night and wondered if anyone has tried pure orange EO? I think it'd be moisturizing but cleansing. You'd want to get it from an organic source, though, since so many pesticides are used on orange peels. Orange EO definitely smells magical.

Yes, if you don't make the baking soda solution strong enough it will not do what it's supposed to. I actually made that mistake my first month with my first set of locks. SE had to hold my hand on that one. It was sad. He reiterated, "Angel, sweety. It's 2 TABLEspoons, not 2 TEAspoons you need." And yes, once I used the right spoon size it all came together. My hair actually started getting clean. I felt like a royal dumbass. Teaspoons instead of tablespoons.. Sheesh. Stooopid.

steven5
@steven5
11 years ago
10 posts

Songhai black soap has only two ingredients palm flowers and kernels. In my experience it does not leave an oily or moisturizing feeling. There are many other black soaps onthe market all of which except songhai I have seen contain other ingredients. its the only true pure black soap ive ever seen.like it says on the bottle "using is believing"

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

what kind of mud wash? alsodoes the black soap leave residue or condition too much?

sugaplum said:

Oh wow interesting. I've always used my african black soap wihout any problems. Now I do a mud wash and it rinses right out. No build-up whatsoever.

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form