Dreadlocks Forums

soap for dreads

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

where do you get it at?

goldie locks said:

Songhai black soap has only two ingredients palm flowers and kernels. In my experience it does not leave an oily or moisturizing feeling. There are many other black soaps onthe market all of which except songhai I have seen contain other ingredients. its the only true pure black soap ive ever seen.like it says on the bottle "using is believing"

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

I just did a simple search in Amazon and found it in several stores.

steven5
@steven5
11 years ago
10 posts

It comes in bars liquid and a paste. In san Francisco rainbow coop has it and in santa cruz food bin herb room has it but it can it be found in natural food stores and African import stores also the internet is probably easiest.

Elle Gee
@elle-gee
11 years ago
14 posts
Wow. Good to know! I love the nonresidue bars on dreadlockssite but lately I've been using peppermint Dr. Bronner's. Eventually I'd like to have both on hand :-)
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Elle, make sure you have soft water. If you have hard water, the Dr.Bronners will leave a residue in your hair over time. With soft water it is okay to use.

Elle Gee said:

Wow. Good to know! I love the nonresidue bars on dreadlockssite but lately I've been using peppermint Dr. Bronner's. Eventually I'd like to have both on hand :-)
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I have this post on my page, thought I should add it here also. I emailed the company of LUSH to inquire about using any of their products on dreads and this is their quoted reply to me:

"Unfortunately none of our products are specifically meant for use on dreadlocks. We do carry a number of gentle solid shampoos that dont lather a huge amount, such as Gentle Lentil and Trichomania, however, I wouldn't be able to guarantee that they would do the trick as they could still leave a residue which may be difficult to remove completely, also, as they are soft products, they may not be optimal as they don't work incredibly well with soft water. This being said, I think that you may be best to use a dreadlock specific shampoo."

It was a very honest reply. Many companies will lie to make money, they did not. For this I will still purchase their products for the rest of my families hair and awesome bath bombs for myself. Here is an example otherwise: I was at a vendors fair where people sold homemade and produced products. I bought the African Black Soap Shampoo & the lady assured me I could use it. She lied just to get a $35 sale from me. Caucasian hair can not use this shampoo until dreads are fully mature as it is highly conditioned to suit the needs of African American hair and will cause any progress on newly Caucasian hair to slip out.
Brenda Stump Fazio
@brenda-stump-fazio
11 years ago
7 posts

LUSH products also contain fragrance oils instead of essential oils.

updated by @brenda-stump-fazio: 07/22/15 09:00:23PM
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Fragrance oils can leave residue on hair all by itself, even if the rest of the soap ingredients are stellar.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

I understand your concern, Noodle. Yes, if you use enough EO then it'll stick to the hair and scalp. But you gotta use a lot of it. i'm talking, more than six drops per cup of water. The thing I always think about when using EO and this has never steered me wrong is this-- the concept of homeopathy and water memory. EO's are extremely concentrated. (Do research and figure out how many pounds of flowers, leaves, etc it take to make one ounce of your EO and you'll be AMAZED!!) You don't need a lot. If you're just going for scent then you'd be best to put a few drops with water in a spritz bottle and spray it through your hair like perfume or just do a plain water and EO rinse. But if you're going for the medicinal properties of the EO and a good strong clean scalp and hair then 3-4 drops in your squirt bottle and a cup of baking soda water mix is really all you need.

Unless you have hair down to your ass, I really don't understand people using more than one or two cups of water on their head. Just get a big enough squirt bottle and there ya go. Shoot that stuff into the roots and all over, soak, scrub, rinse. Voila. Katsup bottles work great for larger-than-a-cup water quantities. I just use an old hair dye bottle I got years ago in a box of hair dye. It holds exactly one cup of liquid. Perfect. I have hair down past my shoulders.

Anyway, less is more most of the time when it comes to EO's. Use too much of the stuff and you'll toss your scalp ph to the Pit and then you'll really have issues. Use too much and it's not only wasteful but it's just bad for ya. It freaks your scalp out. EO's can be both drying and oily/moisturizing. A weird thing to think about, but it's totally true.

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

Sunlight soap with fewer ingredients works well for my dreads.

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form