Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

twisting dreads through themselves..???

Erin Kochera
@erin-kochera
12 years ago
16 posts

So i have heard of twisting your dreads through themselves to tighten up the roots..what is everyones opinion on this?

updated by @erin-kochera: 02/14/15 11:13:58AM
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

that's called root flipping and its a big no-no. it causes weak spots in the dreads. its completelyunnecessarytoo.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

incredibly bad idea thats called root flipping or interlocking it causes dreads to vbreak but whats worse causes the roots to pull so tight you get traction alopecia and can become permenant baldness

neverf do that

you wantto do absolutely nothing to tighten roots ever they tighten themselves any forced tighteness can cause balding

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Yeah, tightening roots causes bald spots around the roots. These bald spots are from pulling out hairs by the root in order to tighten them. There should always be about an inch or so of loose hair down there, In time they will tangle themselves and mat into a lock. There's no reason to force it. If root hair didn't tangle on its own, Eagle would have 4-5 inches of locked hair and then the other 6 feet of hair would be straight. But because they mat themselves, he's got 6 feet of mature locks.

Don't worry about your roots.

Erin Kochera
@erin-kochera
12 years ago
16 posts

alright if you people say so...sometimes the roots just look crazy.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they get better

and besides

why does it matter how the roots look?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Erin Kochera
@erin-kochera
12 years ago
16 posts

I wait tables...and sometimes they look messy thats all.

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

dreads are messy. Especially in the first 6 months or so. I think that is why i see so many people with baby dreads where i live and so few with mature ones. People give up and comb/cut the babies out because they do not have the patience. Or they do something really nasty to them like wax, crochet and/or interlocking that just ruins them. It is from vanity, a lack of patience or not being able to look toward the future to what they will or could become.We live in a society that pushes instant gratification. Dreads are not about short cuts or rushing...it is about time and patience.

So embrace the messiness!

Karma Dreads
@karma-dreads
12 years ago
6 posts

it matters a lot to people how they look when you have to hold down a job that requires a clean kept appearance. I will pull my dreads through the roots to tighten them up, never have had a problem with them breaking or having weak spots. You just have to make sure you dont flip it through when there is not enough loose roots or it will get too tight and cause bumps and rash and itchies. Then the next time you want to tighten them up you MUST find a different space to pull it through or it stars looking like 2 coiled ropes wrapping around each other.

respect to those who disagree... but i have had success with this method.

Blessings.

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

Karma I am sorry but i do have to disagree. Your dreads are 3 months old. You may have had success so far, but you do not understand what crochet and root flipping can do in the long run. If you need it to be neater, pull it back in a bun or ponytail, wear a headband or wrap a scarf around it.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form