Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Musty Smelling Hair

Jayah O
@jayah-o
15 years ago
38 posts
Purrrrrfect!!Seriously I am just so bummed I haven't started my journey yet :("Soon grasshopper" keeps coming to mind. I guess for me this is part 1 of learning patience LOL soaringeagle said:
i do a weekly preventative solution
instead of 3/4 cup vinagar 1/4 cup water i use maybe 1/2 cup vinagar in a gallon of water..much weaker
as a rinse i leave in a few minutes then rinse out

Jayah O said:
Omg this is one of my biggest dread concerns! I live in Canada and there will be no drying them outside in the sun.(would drying them through a window be as effective?) It's friggen cold out!! Granted I can blow dry them but won't that wreck the hair after a whole winter season? Would it be safe to do a weak preventative solution, like once a week or maybe every two weeks?

Girl I hope you get rid of the problem..does it smell like when you forget a load of clothes in the washer and dry them anywways?..I hate that smell. But SE is right the vinegar will take care of the smell. I heart vinegar! I use it to rinse cloth diapers..no poopy smell. It's GOTTA work on musty :)

Good Luck!

Man I love this place :D

updated by @jayah-o: 07/22/15 09:11:40AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
go around the house take every comb and brosh u got and toss em in the trash (or recycling )..there ya started Jayah O said:
Purrrrrfect!!

Seriously I am just so bummed I haven't started my journey yet :(

"Soon grasshopper" keeps coming to mind. I guess for me this is part 1 of learning patience LOL

soaringeagle said:
i do a weekly preventative solution
instead of 3/4 cup vinagar 1/4 cup water i use maybe 1/2 cup vinagar in a gallon of water..much weaker
as a rinse i leave in a few minutes then rinse out

Jayah O said:
Omg this is one of my biggest dread concerns! I live in Canada and there will be no drying them outside in the sun.(would drying them through a window be as effective?) It's friggen cold out!! Granted I can blow dry them but won't that wreck the hair after a whole winter season? Would it be safe to do a weak preventative solution, like once a week or maybe every two weeks?

Girl I hope you get rid of the problem..does it smell like when you forget a load of clothes in the washer and dry them anywways?..I hate that smell. But SE is right the vinegar will take care of the smell. I heart vinegar! I use it to rinse cloth diapers..no poopy smell. It's GOTTA work on musty :)

Good Luck!

Man I love this place :D

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Courtney J
@courtney-j
15 years ago
100 posts
I had that happen once. I try to blow dry them as much as possible.
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
well I've been going up to my loved ones and being like "hey, smell my hair" LoL and everyone says it smells like hair or teatree oil. I cant smell the weirdness anymore, I could only smell it when they were wet after I washed em. Does that happen with mildew?
Erin Joy Lauzon
@erin-joy-lauzon
15 years ago
15 posts
hey i'm canadian too! :) I almost always blowdry, esp now that there's snow on the ground... too cold to sit around with damp hair for long !! I use lavender oil in my dreads, i've read that something about the oil actually will kill whatever it is that causes the mustiness and will prevent mildew. what i ussually do is dilute it in jojoba oil and rub it into my dreads and scalp and leave in for maybe an hour before washing it out. once every couple weeks or so i do this. Jo said:
well I've been going up to my loved ones and being like "hey, smell my hair" LoL and everyone says it smells like hair or teatree oil. I cant smell the weirdness anymore, I could only smell it when they were wet after I washed em. Does that happen with mildew?
oReOs
@oreos
15 years ago
3 posts
O.k. so In my experience,1. I wouldn't use the blow dryer. I just feel that it's very misleading. You can blow dry as much as you want but I feel that the centers will still be wet.2. to help prevent the musty smell, still try to keep your dreads as dry as possible.3. you really don't need to was the dreds themselves. Just the scalp area. Especially Dr. Bronners users! after prolong use of Dr. Bronners in the actual dread part you will notice that the Dreads will tend to harden up. Like a harden that you don't want. What it is, is the Dr. Bronners still in the dreads. You can find little gobs of it that kind of look like mushy Lint. But like I said these are all in my experiences.
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
Thanks!Ya I hate blowdrying my hair, even before it was dreading. I use SE's baking soda wash, I love it, it really fixes up my scalp oReOs said:
O.k. so In my experience,
1. I wouldn't use the blow dryer. I just feel that it's very misleading. You can blow dry as much as you want but I feel that the centers will still be wet.
2. to help prevent the musty smell, still try to keep your dreads as dry as possible.
3. you really don't need to was the dreds themselves. Just the scalp area. Especially Dr. Bronners users! after prolong use of Dr. Bronners in the actual dread part you will notice that the Dreads will tend to harden up. Like a harden that you don't want. What it is, is the Dr. Bronners still in the dreads. You can find little gobs of it that kind of look like mushy Lint. But like I said these are all in my experiences.
LadyLockz
@ladylockz
14 years ago
7 posts
OMG is that what this crap is in my locs??? Seriously, I've been in tears the last 3 days afraid that I couldn't figure out what was going on & assumed it was mold/mildew. However, I'm noticing everyone specific a stench associated with mildew & mine don't have a smell. Anyhow, I've been using Dr.Bronner's for 13 of the 18 months I've been loced. 3 days ago, after washing, I got lazy, threw on a loc sock, turned on the fan & went to sleep. I was paranoid about sleeping on damp locs & removed the scarf from my head half way through the night assuming I'd be ok with the fan. The next morning, I ran errands, came home & noticed when my locs were completely dry, some of them seemed encompass globs of really fine mushy lint. I've never had this problem & am very conscious of everyday materials in an effort to minimize lint. The substance only appeared to be only at the bottom of some locs in the back & assumed it was product residue so I washed washed washed with a clarifying shampoo, soaked my locs in baking soda & water for 30 min, rinsed with apple cider vinegar, everything...nothing's worked. I saw on some blog about washing with Dawn so yesterday I spent 8 hours washing & scrubbing, sat underneath the dryer but the same mushy linty substance is still there. I don't usually sleep on wet hair, & have always been very careful to use minimal products. Other that Bronner's, I use a clarifying shampoo sporadically. I normally do an ACV rinse with every other week & hot oil treatment every month. I use only olive, essential & herbal oils I make at home. I've always avoided waxes, petroleum, & mineral oils.Other than your comment on the mushy lint, I haven't come across another blog that remotely describes my problem & I'm PARANOID lol. Please help!! Does it seem to be the same issue? How did you remedy the problem? Sound familiar to anyone else??? oReOs said:
O.k. so In my experience,
1. I wouldn't use the blow dryer. I just feel that it's very misleading. You can blow dry as much as you want but I feel that the centers will still be wet.
2. to help prevent the musty smell, still try to keep your dreads as dry as possible.
3. you really don't need to was the dreds themselves. Just the scalp area. Especially Dr. Bronners users! after prolong use of Dr. Bronners in the actual dread part you will notice that the Dreads will tend to harden up. Like a harden that you don't want. What it is, is the Dr. Bronners still in the dreads. You can find little gobs of it that kind of look like mushy Lint. But like I said these are all in my experiences.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wrapping them up whenn damp coulda caused some muldew u can get rid if it by after u do baking soda mix a strong white vinagar and lavander oil (1 cup white vinagar 1/3 cup watrer 30 or so drops lavender..leave soaklk on a good long while even hours then rince ..make a string thyme tea spray ion and leave onwelccome to the site

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
Definitely do the rinse that SE said and start washing your hair every other day instead of daily if you can. I live in Florida so I'm terrified of mold and the likes. It's not appealing to snuggle up to a person that smells like a cat pissed on their head.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form