Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Maybe certain hair types won't dread naturally? or will take a ridiculously long time?

Michaelllllll
@michaelllllll
14 years ago
9 posts
Alright so I had my dreadlocks crocheted in... and i know that is supposedly terrible for your hair so i didnt maintain them and are letting lock naturally.Except they are not locking.. after around two months lolBasically i have really straight, fine, asian hair. I grew my hair out for 2 years (no combing, residue free shampoo) and i had one tiny knot that could be combed out with one brush through. So i gave up and crocheted them in... but after a month of tightness a few have basically already unravelled fully and the rest have a ridiculous amount of hair that are coming out and refusing to dread.all this messy-ness is causing my dreads to not even look like dreads anymore... and my job is on my back about cleaning up my dreads.so my question is... my hair is just not the natural hair type to dread easily at all... so should i start crochet maintaining them?
updated by @michaelllllll: 01/13/15 08:50:03PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
no crochet wilol just cause more issues the jobs gotta iunderstand they are 2 months old dreads take a year to dreadtie them back out of site and the job wont careis yoir hair oily at all/how do u wash and with whattry the baking soda with sea salt addedall hair dreads naturaly but some things can slow it alotcrochet has to loosen to really dread so your on your way but crochet recovery takes a pretty long time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
Dreads are a work of patience.They don't happen over night...it takes at least a year to mature. I am not asian but i do have really fine straight hair. The first year was pretty crazy. I still have a lot of loose hair...which i love. Scarves are great for work. I also suggest pulling it back in a scrunchie. Baby dreads are gonna unravel...tighten up... get loose ...tighten up...it is the process of real dreads. If you want to have healthy dreads for many years stay away from the crochet needle.
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
and check out Dread Maintenance on the top of the page....it will give you alternatives to crochet. Twist and rip or back combing would be alot better for your hair. Neglect is always the healthiest but it isn't always the choice for everyone.
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
sorry I meant dreading methods :)
Michaelllllll
@michaelllllll
14 years ago
9 posts
thanks guys! you guys have given me hope haha :)
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
Some of the most beautiful dreads that i have seen have been on asian people. Patience little padawan. :)
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
My hair type is naturally really fine also. Adding a little bit of salt to the baking soda mixture I use to wash my hair with helped me out a lot. Then again being outside on windy days helped out also.Another thing, how often are you washing your hair?
MT_mommy
@mt-mommy
14 years ago
13 posts
I second the 'how often are you washing your hair' question. I used to go a long time before washing cause that's what I thought I needed to do. I was fighting to wait a week and my hair was just so greasy and nasty and my scalp felt awful, so I started washing more often. I now wash every third day like clockwork. It really helped my hair to lock up. Maybe you're washing too little or too much. All you can do is experiment with it and see what works best for you.
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
My experience with asian type hair is that it has a thicker shaft and is smooth and glossy naturally. I have a friend who is asian who never brushes her hair, ever, and it's about mid back length and it's just thick and shiny and perfectly straight. I have a mexican friend who has waves/curls in her hair but it is similar in it's natural glossy and thickness, and she also never brushes her hair and even with curls it never tangles. Some hair may take longer because of that, but them being crocheted kind of holds the hair in place, like a braid, which keeps them from really being able to tangle. I have super straight hair but it's very fine (each hair shaft is very thin) and it tangled like a mofo before I dreaded, and is one reason I chose dreads (my hair chose for me). I used to need about half a bottle of conditioner let it set for 10 full minutes, tepid rinse to prevent opening the cuticles of the hair which can tangle, and still after all that effort if I hit the slightest bit of wind or turned my head I'd have 5 or 6 little rats nests starting up. It was maddening! The easiest way to prevent massive tangles (but not all) was to braid it, usually 2 braids on either side of my head. It would still tangle at the base of the braid because it is that stubborn, but the braid kept it from moving and tangling. That's kind of what crocheted hair is like, it's been crocheted tight and can't move to tangle, and it will need to loosen up quite a bit to start.Do you palm roll? If you do I would say stop, palmrolling stifles loops which are a huge stage in dread development. Other than that just do a baking soda rinse, no other products, wash every other day and use hot water, if after 2 weeks still nothing, give some salt water a try just to see.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form