Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Maintaining the middle of a Dread!

Han
@han
11 years ago
4 posts

So I started dreadlocking my hair about two months ago using the backcombing method and since then I've just let them do their thing. The bottoms of pretty much all of them are impossibly tight, yet the top halves have pretty much come undone. Id like to twist and rip them to get them knotted again and thicker, but I dont know how to do it in the middle of a dread!! Any suggestions/help??

updated by @han: 01/13/15 09:54:10PM
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

As everyone here will tell you, your best option is to actually leave them alone, rather than try and tighten them. Dreads have this thing where they have to come unraveled and look "worse"before they look better. We all speak from personal experience, haha. Should have seen my hair at two months...besides, I'm not even sure how one would TnR dreads that are already locked at the bottom. That sounds rather complicated, haha.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

dont

just leave em be your only 2 months in if u do that your only resetting progress

leave em alone in a couple months they tighten themselves up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Han
@han
11 years ago
4 posts

I thought that's the answer I'd get! Haha. The reason I was wondering is because a friend of mine who had dreads for six years just grabbed one of mine yesterday and in a matter of seconds it was nice and puffy, seemed like it would dread easier than these really tight skinny ones. But like I knew from the beginning, it's all patience and time, right?

Other question... Will decorating them help, hinder, or not effect them at all?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

beads help but as thet fatten the spot where thet=y are stays thin and bed gets stuck

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Make sure you're washing your hair regularly. That really helps. The gravity of the water pushes knots further down from the roots to the middle sections of the hair. Also, I know some people say that the less you touch your hair the better when washing, but honestly? I've had a lot of good knotting up happen when I really dig into my roots with lots of shampoo lather. And it feels sooooo good to rub that scalp!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Don't maintain anything. All you need to do is wash & separate..that's it...it's that easy....if you are doing these two things, then you will never have a worry and can enjoy the funky journey.....peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form