Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

1 week old dreads-hopefully the start of an amazing journey!

John Hooper
@john-hooper
11 years ago
21 posts

Hey guys. First post here, really glad to be part of your community :)

So I've been reading these forums for about a month now, and I finally sat and did TnR on all of my hair. Now I have pretty short hair, not longer than 3 inches, maybe a little shorter, but my dreads came out looking pretty good! My hair is really weird, it's not curly, but every hair points to a different direction haha. It's kinda hard to explain but so far it does a good job I think.

So I wanted to go as natural as possible (couldn't go neglect though, because it would take forever to dread with 3 inches of hair haha), so I didn't mess with it at all so far. But now it's starting to get greasy, and even though I was originally planning on washing 2 weeks after TnRing, but it looks like I may wash earlier.

Now it's really hard to find no residue shampoos where I live, and I don't have a credit card so I can't get any online :( So my plan was to spray with salt water 2 hours before washing, and then just rinsing, not using any shampoo whatsoever. But then again I think my hair would get dirty with time. Do you guys think I should do the BS wash? or maybe you have a good brand of shampoo I could use? (It has to be an international brand).

Also, for the first 6 days I didn't mess with my hair at all but today when I woke up it was looking messy and loose, so I did some quick palm rolling (not on every dread, just a few every here and there to make them look more polished).

I will also try and post a picture one of these days :) Maybe I'll start a timeline too, why not haha

P.S. Sorry for the long post, I'm feeling talkative for some reason :p

updated by @john-hooper: 02/14/15 05:31:29AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

they are just days old let them be frizzy and messy dont palm rioll

wash withe the bs for sure u shouldnt wait 2 weeks either

use paypal to get the dreadlockshampoo

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
John Hooper
@john-hooper
11 years ago
21 posts

yup i try not to mess with them too much..

i've read about the 2 weeks thing on knottyboy i think, but judging by the way my hair looks right now, i dont think i'm going to wait 2 weeks.

i'll try using paypal thanks..just a question, do i need to do acv rinse after bs or can i just use water without having my hair dry up to an unhealthy level?

Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

yeh you need to do the acv rinse afterwards but you dont need much, dilute in water, put it in your hair then wash out straight away (best with coldest water you can) and dont palm roll just leave them be if you want your hair to grow quicker take a biotin supplement I was like you and started with short hair about 4 inches but my hair is growing like crazy since taking biotin. The tnr is supposed to loosen and most will come out its better that this happens than them being too tight or they will never form proper locks.

John Hooper
@john-hooper
11 years ago
21 posts

Yeah you're right I prefer them looking loose but natural instead of sticking straight up like coolio's hair..so the best thing i can do is give them time to tighten up :)

I also read around the forum and I see now how the acv is needed to restore the ph..so i guess i'll be using it too.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Some people don't need to use ACV at all. Some people(i am one of them) can just wash and go. Dreadlock shampoo bar soap is the best for that, in my opinion. HOWEVER--- people who are just starting out seem to have much better locking up when they opt to use baking soda for the first few months(because it dries the hair out) and only use bar soap once or twice a month. I really fouled myself up a few times by using bar soap too much and too soon. Lost a big chunk of progress and had to make it up by going back to baking soda for a while. Sucked. But you live and learn.

Bar soaps are high fat content whereas the liquid soaps have the ability to have more drying agents added in. Go for dreadlockshampoo's liquid soap for now.

John Hooper
@john-hooper
11 years ago
21 posts

Hmm looks like I wont be using acv either because its really hard to find apple cider vinegar over here, i only got some wine vinegar i think..unless somebody knows if its ok to use, i'm only doing the bs wash.

I'm planning to buy the liquid shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com too but after about a month of only using baking soda.

I've took some pictures half an hour ago and after i took the pictures i used the sea salt spray..in 2 hours i'll do the bs wash. I'm about to upload the pictures on my profile for you to see what my hair looked like after 1 week from the day i did TnR.

John Hooper
@john-hooper
11 years ago
21 posts

I just checked the differences out and it seems the red wine vinegar i have has a lower acidity than white and cider vinegars..so i guess it's not suitable :(

Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

'over here'? Where are you from?

John Hooper
@john-hooper
11 years ago
21 posts

i currently live in greece, though I'm from newark, new jersey.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form