Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shea butter

GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
15 years ago
155 posts
what does it do for dreads? anyone have any experience. I heard its good for conditioning.
updated by @gratefulnick: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Matthew Young
@matthew-young
15 years ago
3 posts
ya I'd like to know too, I think my dreads need a lil conditioninghaven't heard anything about shea butter, seems like it would be a little too heavyI have heard a few things about aloe tho...
GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
15 years ago
155 posts
I knew a girl who had the softest dreads i ever saw and I asked what did she used and she said shea butter. Said it washes right out. Baking soda always seems to make my dreads clean, but if you use it to much it can dry out your scalp. Sometimes when my dreads seem dry/hard i'll use dr bronners tea tree oil and I do a ACV wash every month. If I have a itchy dry spot I'll dab some aloe on it. But was just wondering if anyone used or had any experience with shea butter.
Brittany Blanchard
@brittany-blanchard
12 years ago
1 posts

do NOT use shea butter for your dreads. it leaves gross residue and it is ridiculously hard to get it out. i am currently trying to brush my dreads out so i can do it again without shea butter and i'm losing a lot of hair and it's immensely painful. shea butter and dreads should never go together.

kandi
@kandi
12 years ago
3 posts

i've used shea butter for the last six months and it washes out just fine as long as you don't pile it onto your dreads. a little goes a long way and my dreads have never been softer.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

your hair type soaks it up more

african hair will suck it up like a sponge

the amount of oils and stuff youd use dail;y would make caucasian hair very greasy and hard to remove

thats why u can get away witv using all sorets of gels and oils and creams early on withoiut it slowing dreading muchand witout noticable buildup 9tho some is bound to build up without nbeing as noticable)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

may have exagerated a lil but point is your type hair tolerates it more

also might matter if its straight shea wich is thick and firm and hardish or mixed witth something to soften it and make it spread easier..like shae soap

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

SE, you bring up a very good point about the differences in hair/scalp type and I think that it may be one reason why whites and asians get so caught up in the wax scheme. "It has all natural oils, extracts, and waxes!" Blacks can use certain products on their dreads that we can't. But that's still not wax. But it's how advertizing shmoozers like Johnny Clean get their foot in the door. "All natural" is good, right??

I used to have to use pure shea butter on my hair (lightly) for styling and to minimize the damage my cetyl alcohol shampoos did. But yes, it did take those drying shampoos to get that shea butter out of my hair. All natural shampoos like Burt's Bees and whatnot couldn't touch that stuff. My hair felt FANTASTIC with pure shea on it. But that was before I decided to lock up.

And because I used so much shea butter in my hair it made it so ridiculously soft that even with stripping my hair of it for a few days with BC/ACV I still couldn't twist and rip anything to save my life! My hair would slip right through my fingers. Wouldn't knot worth a damn. And then that's why I decided that I couldn't rush anything and had to go the neglect route.

Now, knowing what I know from past experience with shea butter and my naturally curly caucasian hair- I'd definitely not suggest using raw shea in anything except soaps on the dreadlocked hair. It is one of the heaviest oil based butters out there besides kokum and cocoa. It works wonders on holding down fly-away hairs for caucasians and asians but on dreadlocked caucasion and asian hair I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole unless your goal is to very painfully comb out your dreadlocks. That stuff is very thick and heavy. I used to do a pure shea butter 'hot oil' treatment on my hair every once in a while(slather it on, comb, and then hit it with a blow dryer, shampoo and dry-- worked wonderfully!) when my hair was loose but I'd never dream of doing something like that now.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

On a side note: pure shea butter feels heavenly on freshly shaved legs. Husbands' hands will act like a magnet and... ZAP! Major groping.

I don't use it on my hair anymore but on my body it's ALL I use.

kandi
@kandi
12 years ago
3 posts

um ok but i don't have african hair, i'm cuban. way to assume.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form