Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

has anyone started dreads with backcomb then u crochet, and only crocheted once?

SpacemanTravis
@spacemantravis
14 years ago
127 posts
basically its hard to explain wut im asking... but has anyone bacombed than crocheted immediatley after than never crocheted again? and they still turned out well?
updated by @spacemantravis: 02/14/15 03:51:36AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yes several have but theres still a recovery period since they must loosen up a whole lot in order to dread right and they do go though an extra fuzzy period still toou get the instant neat dread kook but then are set back several months in gaining actual dreadingcould be 3-6 monthsor so ive heardhopefully some ppl will post who did it and fully recoveredi wouldbt recomend it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i wouldnt call the nape and temples "problem dreads" since typicaly those areas are just last to dread and when they dread its probably the clearest sign of maturity

--
SpacemanTravis
@spacemantravis
14 years ago
127 posts
yah se dude i hope some people post the same thing cuz i wanna go natty u knoe like u and neil but my employer bitches bout it u knoe, and i def def def dont wanna use wax u knoe so i kinda need an instant look so i wass gonna lightly backcomb then crochet and never touch them agina u knoe
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why wouldnt u just twist n rip?

--
SpacemanTravis
@spacemantravis
14 years ago
127 posts
cuz last time i did they didnt look rite enuff i guess cuz my boss told me to comb them out and i had had them for 2 months... and my hair was shorter then and its grown alot in the back its down to my shoulders and the rest... well my bangs reach all the way to my mouth and the rest is long too
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
I had a friend who did this to all her dreads when she started them (I helped)IT TOOK FOREVER. No joke, like four/five hours. We backcombed them gently, then tightened p the ends so that as the top and middle were knotting normally then ends would stay tight and hold the section, then the ends loosened and the dreading that had happened at the top held them together while they dreaded.It was a good strategy to keep her hair pretty organized, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who was concerned about their ability to use a comb and a crochet hook in a relaxed manner. It might look pretty good, but it can be hard to do without over-doing it.
Steph
@steph
14 years ago
16 posts
Mine are crochet and i love them. Some people view it as cheating, but i see it as artistic expression as I have created my dreads as an image of what I personally love and find attractive about dreads and what i feel will suit me. Some of my crochet are a year old and as long as you dont wash them too often with norm shampoos they stay lovely. Like every other dreader i have loops, loose bits and waves. Roots may need crocheting in every so often, but as long as you treat them well you dont need excessive maintainance. Personally I see it as a great starting point and headstart, especially if you require neatness and form urgently for our fast paced and stereotypical world.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
just tell your boss nowould u let your boss shove his fist up your ass cause he told you to bend over and drop your pants?there has to be a point where you stand up for your rights and just say no

SpacemanTravis said:
cuz last time i did they didnt look rite enuff i guess cuz my boss told me to comb them out and i had had them for 2 months... and my hair was shorter then and its grown alot in the back its down to my shoulders and the rest... well my bangs reach all the way to my mouth and the rest is long too

--
Nabin Giri
@nabin-giri
14 years ago
12 posts
Here you go..I got my dreads by crocheting (no backcombing). I was also instructed to palm roll as much as I could. So at initial stages i guess there was quite a bit of damages caused to my hair. In the beginning, they looked super neat, like those designer dreads but with every passing week or so, I noticed that there were lots of fuzzies and loose hair. So i got them tightened again by crocheting. After a week or 2, I noticed that few strands of hair (shorter than my original hair) were falling off every time i palm rolled. I guess those were breakages caused by crocheting and palm rolling (dunno for sure, I am only guessing).However, I have not crocheted again. Honestly speaking, had i come across this site before getting my dreads i wouldn't crochet period.I hope you make a wise decision. Cheers!!!Note: I work full-time at a regular job and no one's asked me to get rid of my dreads. I guess I am lucky or are they mesmerized? There have only been questions because of their curiosities regarding the nuances of dreads. I hope you can get your way through it. I am also posting the probs I am facing with my dreads in this forum itself. I am not sure if any can be credited to the crocheting but watch out for it.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form