Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just joined. Be nice to me.

Jenny Lee
@jenny-lee
14 years ago
14 posts
I just joined within the minute (no lie). I often inquire about dread care via Google and 9 times out of 10, it brings me to this website SO I figured, why not?I've been debating the idea of dreads for about 7 years now and a friend of mine told me "If you have to think about doing something for that long then should have done it a long time ago." So I did it.Started out as braids because the salon stylist just wanted me to keep coming back for the money. After a month, the braids actually started the "knot". I took them out and back-combed all of my hair. Since my hair is nearly ass-length, this process took 7 hours.I am now at the 4 month mark and have let them go since day 1. I think they're transforming nicely.
updated by @jenny-lee: 02/14/15 12:29:36PM
orbit2332
@orbit2332
14 years ago
65 posts
welcome, glad to see u didnt use wax or go the dhhq route. that would ve been a lot of hair to loose if u did. this site is def a good one to get any info on. everyones pretty nice and SE is on here like 24 7 always ready and willing to help ppl out. good luck and enjoy the journey
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
Only 7 hours to backcomb!? You are fast! :) good to do it after taking out the braids, helps the hair to kinda tangle up easier with the natural curls and bends from the braids. Welcome to the forum!I am at 4 months also, started with nipple length hair right now I am at shoulder length from shrinkage, same as you, I backcombed and then let it be (besides pulling apart congos).
Jenny Lee
@jenny-lee
14 years ago
14 posts
Thank you Orbit. :)Tatya - 7 hours is NOT a long time?! Geez.. lol Come to think of it, I was pretty frustrated/determined to be finished. 3 am was nearing and I just wanted it done. Did it all by myself but I wish I would've had help.I really dig the term "nipple length" lol May I use this phrase? I will pay royalties haha! Hmm so if my hair was/is just above ass length, about how much will it shrink do you think? P.S. - I just uploaded a shit ton of photos if you'd like to take a peek. I'm having an issue with the ends of my hair not dreading but I definitely do not want to blunt them. I've been told they hold water far much longer than wispy ends. Any tips? (Pun intended :P)
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
Hi & Welcome! My hair was about as long as yours (to my butt) 5 months ago now it's at my shoulders and still shrinking! Not sure exactly how much length you'll loose but it will be a lot. For long hair it's usually close to 50% The good news is that all the dreads I've seen started from long hair always end up with really beautiful texture from all the looping and shrinking. Many Blessings Jenny Lee said:
Thank you Orbit. :)
Tatya - 7 hours is NOT a long time?! Geez.. lol Come to think of it, I was pretty frustrated/determined to be finished. 3 am was nearing and I just wanted it done. Did it all by myself but I wish I would've had help. I really dig the term "nipple length" lol May I use this phrase? I will pay royalties haha! Hmm so if my hair was/is just above ass length, about how much will it shrink do you think? P.S. - I just uploaded a shit ton of photos if you'd like to take a peek. I'm having an issue with the ends of my hair not dreading but I definitely do not want to blunt them. I've been told they hold water far much longer than wispy ends. Any tips? (Pun intended :P)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u can lose 3/4 but it will all grow back..tips on tips..leave em be love emand welcome gonna go look at your pics

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jenny Lee
@jenny-lee
14 years ago
14 posts
Awwww I was hoping they'd stay this long. :( Oh well.. like you said, it will all grow back. Any feedback is welcomed. I know back-combing isn't the best route to go, but I was pretty pissed off when I realized that the braiding technique was a joke and I was only wasting money. I haven't done any maintenance to them since back-combing other than pulling apart congos and palm-rolling (which I stopped doing after the first month. It really does nothing.) soaringeagle said:
u can lose 3/4 but it will all grow back..tips on tips..leave em be love em

and welcome gonna go look at your pics
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well your page said crochet crochet is an extremely bad idea if u stop crocheting they will be amazing when thery recoverthey look good just let em be as natural as can be

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jenny Lee
@jenny-lee
14 years ago
14 posts
Well, it said to list ALL methods so technically yes, I tried it. Like I said though, I used it ONE time for less than a minute. I got frustrated because it did NOTHING. :) soaringeagle said:
well your page said crochet crochet is an extremely bad idea if u stop crocheting they will be amazing when thery recover
they look good just let em be as natural as can be
orbit2332
@orbit2332
14 years ago
65 posts
yeah 7 hours is really fast. when i backcombed my girlfriends she had lil past shoulder length hair and it took me 4 days, the last day was a 10 hour stretch.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form