Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreadlocks driving me insane

jenna
@jenna
14 years ago
11 posts
i'm just about done with my dreadlocks. i see all these posts about how people love them, well i'm done. it's not like i can't rock them, i do really like them. but i hate how everyone seems to know my life story just by looking at my hair (and sadly, what they seem to "know" is true, which pisses me off even more). the culture shock has yet to wear thin (thinking that i would get used to my dreads eventually, but the feeling has yet to go away). i don't know, i always wanted them, and now that i have them and they look legit i really don't want to deal with them anymore.i've had them for about six months and i've been crocheting them quite tightly, i still crochet them even though i hate them so god damn much. i mean, i don't hate them, but i definitely don't love them. i'm stuck in between and it's just an uncomfortable stage that wont leave! i get plenty of compliments which gives me a lot of positive reinforcement, but when it comes down to it i just think the dreads were a mistake. i now have learned.i've probably washed my hair less than ten times, shit probably around six times, no conditioner. i would like to hear some methods on how to get these the fuck off my head, cutting/shaving is not an option. my hair was just about to touch my ass, so i was hoping to salvage what i could from that. i was going to start conditioning my roots, and hair close to it, for the next 6 months (leaving me able to have dreads for when i go on jam cruise 2010) and then after i want my hair back. any advice?[IMG] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/takemeeeeehome/Picture548.jpg [/IMG]
updated by @jenna: 02/14/15 03:28:56AM
jenna
@jenna
14 years ago
11 posts
ps- i have the "business in the front, dreaddy in the back" thing going on.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Holy shit!I don't know if you'll be able to get them out if you've been crocheting that long. Nicole had a set put in and painstakingly brushed them out but they were only done once. I'll drop her a message and tell her about this thread.I would hate them too if mine were super tight and dirty, just sounds soooo uncomfortable, especially the dirty part.Wish you found us first before all this began.Thats one thing I love about natural, you progress into you, you grow into them rather than BAM, all locked up. Gives you and people around you time to adjust.
jenna
@jenna
14 years ago
11 posts
i started crocheting about 2 months into the process. nothing too intense either, i just gather the loose hair, put the crochet needle through, wrap the loose hair around the needle, and pull through. then i repeat that process until there i no more hair to crochet.and yes, i wish i had found several sites before i started dreading my hair, lol. that's the price i'm paying though, big lesson learned.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I left a message for Nicole. I think she said she lost a lot of hair by combing out but its doable. jenna said:
i started crocheting about 2 months into the process. nothing too intense either, i just gather the loose hair, put the crochet needle through, wrap the loose hair around the needle, and pull through. then i repeat that process until there i no more hair to crochet.

and yes, i wish i had found several sites before i started dreading my hair, lol. that's the price i'm paying though, big lesson learned.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Damn...If I had been crocheting for 6 months straight and not washing them I think I would hate mine too. First give them a good wash. give them a good soak(30 minutes) with the super clean baking soda wash(you can find the thread through the search).Then try leaving them alone for a while. Maybe you can come back to love them again :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
stop crocheting start washing u went about it all wrong u need to wash hair and stop crocheting if u went natural there would be no issue youd love em and never concioder cutting but u didnt u crocheted the hell out of them and never washed so throw away the crochet and wash them 2 times a week when the crochet naturalizes and turns into real dreads u will love em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
If you're going to cut your hair I'd wait at least a month and in that month brush your hair at the roots up and out from the scalp so you have some length.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
she wont have to cut but will lose some hair that was broken by crochet Crixus said:
you are gonna have to get a haircut. don't shave your head, just cut at the roots, like 2 inches above and get a cute short haircut.. lots of girls have them.

as for your dreads.. Woah... i don't know what to say.... but i think if you did it natural you would comment completely different

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
I'm so sorry your feeling so crappy about your dreads :(.I did comb my crochet out but they had only been in for 9 days and crocheted once.It took me almost 4 days to do it. TONS of conditioner and lots of combing. I lost a ton of hair. And I couldnt do the back, my daughter had to, I just couldnt reach.If I were you, I would try the other suggestions first. Do a DEEP soak with baking soda and water. GOB it on. I do this every month, GreyGargoyle suggested it and it WORKS. Your dreads look great, just stop the crochet and try the deep cleanse, maybe you will feel better.This is what Grey suggested.Try this first. See how you feel.'Mine was like yours. Here is what I did. Take a ton of baking soda...like a quater of a pound and pour it into a gallon of water. Stir it around really well and then get your hair really wet. Now stick your hair into the gallon of water or pour it on, whatever. Then let it sit in your hair for ten minutes or fifteen minutes. After that, get your hair wet again but don't rinse ALL the baking soda out...then take a handful of baking soda and pat it all over your hair. If it takes two or three handfuls then do it! Don't skimp out on the baking soda, use a lot. Now leave it in your hair for ten or fifteen minutes again. This will get out all of those crappy residues for good! After the fifteen minutes is up, rinse all the baking soda out of your hair with hot water. Rinse for a good five minutes. Then use a white vinegar rinse...if all you have is ACV then just use that, that is fine. I recommend the white vinegar just because it's stronger. Either way you need to use a good bit of vinegar. I used about fifteen spoonfuls of vinegar mixed with water. Just rinse it with that and finally let it air dry. This cured me of all residues finally and for good. Good luck! My hair is so clean and light now.'
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form