Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Newbie Question about beads

Kimba
@kimba
14 years ago
16 posts
Hello, I am new to the forums here and have a couple of questions about putting beads in my new dreads.First: Most of my dreads are about the size (width) of a finger so how big should the hole in the beads be? Should they be very much smaller or just a bit smaller than the dread itself?Second: I believe I read here that adding beads to my new dreads will help them to lock up--is this true and how many do I need to add if this is true?And third (finally) : What type of bead is best? I will be making mine myself so which is best--I've seen fiber beads, cuffs, clay beads etc. I was thinking of making some from some stretchy fabric and lace I've saved over the years...Thanks in advance for any help on this guys--I really appreciate it :)LoveKimba
updated by @kimba: 02/03/18 03:31:17PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
it should fit so when u slide it up it sticks somewhere and wont easilt come offso lil tightany type beads fine any materialu only need 1

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Some can be a bit hard to put on, especially if your dreads aren't mature.I use a piece of floss, drape it over my dread near the tip and then stick both ends of the floss through the bead and pull the dread through.Does that make sense?
Kimba
@kimba
14 years ago
16 posts
Oh Island Mama you are my hero! :) I had been trying to figure out a way to put the beads in and the floss is such a good idea--like one of those needle threading thingies!And thanks Lisa--I'll check out Etsy (since I have a shop there that I sell my artwork on --lol *shamless plug*!)Thanks to you too Soaringeagle, you have been a great help to me so far :DOkey dokie I made some clay beads and they are cooking right now so I'll be putting some in later on!LoveKimba
Robyn Cole
@robyn-cole
14 years ago
1 posts
Hi i think i might have stuffed up at first, any way i just wanted to tell Island Mamma(howyagoin from Australia) + have a go at raping a piece of plastic around the end of your dread + then the bead should slide up easlyer then take the plastic away .
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
I just fold the hair at the tip of the dread in half and stick it through the bead then slide it up.
Kimba
@kimba
14 years ago
16 posts
Thanks for the tips everyone ! BTW, you are gorgeous NaturalWomyn! I love the color of your hair :)One more question:Are those peyote stitch wraps stretchy? They look like they would be... I'm asking because I'm thinking of making some and need to know if I should buy the stretchy beading thread or just regular beading thread... Thanks guys, looking forward to earing from ya!
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
aww *Blush* Thank You! You're too kynd! The stiches are not stretchy I use clear monofilliment from the beading store. Knottysleeves may know a better material? I find that it works pretty well though. Kimba said:
Thanks for the tips everyone ! BTW, you are gorgeous NaturalWomyn! I love the color of your hair :)

One more question:
Are those peyote stitch wraps stretchy? They look like they would be... I'm asking because I'm thinking of making some and need to know if I should buy the stretchy beading thread or just regular beading thread... Thanks guys, looking forward to earing from ya!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form