Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How can I clean out (natural head)oil from my baby dreads?

❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
So I started my dreads less than a week ago and I was feeling a couple of dreads that are a little loose and the hair was very greasy. My hair does have a tendency to be oily.I know that oily hair will mature slower, so what can I do? Will the baking soda wash clean out the oil?I just washed my hair today with Dr. B's Tea Tree. and I live in a very humid place(Near Wash. DC)
updated by @opaulao: 02/15/15 05:48:40AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
bronners does leave some ppl greasy depending on water typesotry the baking soda acvandafter the initial wash to remove what bronners left behind ..go 1 day longer without washing then u think u should till you get to once or twice a week without getting greasy..andin between washings spray the scalp with a thyme tea this will help reduce oil productionbut more likely what your feeling is bronners inbility to rince clean in all water types..hafrgoyal also said beer might rempve alot of that residuse when used as a rinse so worth trying too i guess

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
I've been using thyme as well lately, and it's helped me as well.
Peter Lang
@peter-lang
14 years ago
13 posts
Hey i got oily hair also so imma just share what i do lol1. wash your hair with only baking soda as ive read that the acv is kinda like a conditionor. Baking soda by itself will dry it a bit more.2.Maybe wait a week or week n a half b4 yoy thouroughly wash, cuz the more u wash the more oil produces.3. I spray with sea salt after every shower4. Try and hit up the beach as much as you can(twice a month or so), all that salt water is an oily dreadheads kryponite lol itll dry it right out...and last try not to touch your dreads with your fingers 2 much, i know its tough 2 keep from em but your oils from your fingertips will get em sometimes 2. hope i could help ya sum... happy dreadin
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh this should help too hot wash this opens pores so they get cleaned out also reduces the viscosity of oils so it washes away easier..but then..freezing cold rince to close those pores back up so they cant be leaking out so much oils

--
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
ok Thanks!!What I'm gonna try is the baking soda wash(1 Tbsp per cup of water ok?)Then spray with just sea salt waterI've actually been spraying it with salt water with lemon, I don't know if the lemon would add to the oils? I don't know...but I'll try just pure sea salt to see how that works.and I'll spray with thyme tea between washes.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
sea salt is also great (my source has just been from going to the beach though)
The Rapture of Exile
@the-rapture-of-exile
14 years ago
33 posts
I use about 2-3 tbs of baking soda per 24 oz H2O... you'll probably need more water than me though. I've heard negative things about using lemon juice... 1.) one would think that it would attract bugs, bees and such, 2.) i've heard it can cause your hair to become lighter in color...(not neccessarily a negative but w/e).I've found that vinegar doesn't act like a conditioner in the 'store-bought' conditioner sense... I don't even use my dr. Bronners for shampoo anymore, I just use baking soda and vinegar. Depending on where you live, your water could be more basic like mine (I offset that with the acid in the vinegar :) ), or it could be more acidic, so you'd want to use more baking soda. It's not as hard to get used to not using traditional shampoo as you would think. It's been almost five months for me and I have it nearly down to a science, lol... no flakes!Hope that helps.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll use the baking soda until I wash my hair twice a week... Then I'll try dr bronners again to see if it's that or if it's just my hair.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
its been 2 maybe 3 years that ive used just baking soda acv ..i think once every 3 or 4 months i add lil bronners just ..well i dunno why i just do..boredom maybe..but almost all the time i use just the baking sodaon my body too i stopped using soap completely just the backing soda that runs off my hair cleans me everywhere so altho i only wash my hair when i shower and only shower to wash my hair washing my hair washes me everywhere too(but then again my hairs everywhere)

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form