Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread Beads.

pixie
@pixie
14 years ago
144 posts
So I've been thinking about putting some beads in a couple of my dreads. But of course, since I'm new at this, I have some questions for you guys. :)Should I wait until my dreads have tightened more?Is there a certain kind of bead I should use and I shouldn't use?I figured glass would be a good choice, but are wood ones equally as good?I figured I would stay away from plastic.
updated by @pixie: 02/14/15 08:48:35AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
glass looks cool and i have a couple iin now but glass can have dangers as well i smashed a glass bead into my eyebrow and had a bunch of stitches (funny i added more now)woods good metals good bone antler anything stone plastics ok but i think looks kinda cheap (alot like the cheap looking ones dreadheadhq sells)no need to wait i put my 1st beads in straight unknotted hair and let it dread from thereoh peyote sleeves are a great choice too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Akal Sahai
@akal-sahai
14 years ago
39 posts
I have some simple wood beads I got to hold together looser hairs on my baby dreads. Just needed something so I ran down to the fabric store. But...I love stone, bone that type of thing. If you feel like going about the beading with a more holistic approach, adding in beads made from stones that have healing, other positive properties, I think that's a really good thing to keep in mind.If I get around to it after all the other things there are to do, I might even start painting my own, or using polymer clay to craft some. Hmm, that might end up being a craft I do tonight now that it's rolling around my brain a little more.
momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
14 years ago
159 posts
my dreads are 4 mo. old, I have been putting glass beads (my son made) in them from time to time. When I wash my hair I find that some will slide off easily, I take those out, don't want to lose any of them. When I feel like it I will once again put those back in, in another place...for a while. Change them around, from place to place. I have about 4 in now and up to 10 in when they are all staying in place. Just check them out for looseness so you don't lose them. peace out and enjoy you beads in your dreads Christina Cartwright said:
I have some simple wood beads I got to hold together looser hairs on my baby dreads. Just needed something so I ran down to the fabric store. But...

I love stone, bone that type of thing. If you feel like going about the beading with a more holistic approach, adding in beads made from stones that have healing, other positive properties, I think that's a really good thing to keep in mind.

If I get around to it after all the other things there are to do, I might even start painting my own, or using polymer clay to craft some. Hmm, that might end up being a craft I do tonight now that it's rolling around my brain a little more.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i love having healing stone beads in mine i should get some stones and carve a few get some new stone working dremel tops i might do that Christina Cartwright said:
I have some simple wood beads I got to hold together looser hairs on my baby dreads. Just needed something so I ran down to the fabric store. But...

I love stone, bone that type of thing. If you feel like going about the beading with a more holistic approach, adding in beads made from stones that have healing, other positive properties, I think that's a really good thing to keep in mind.

If I get around to it after all the other things there are to do, I might even start painting my own, or using polymer clay to craft some. Hmm, that might end up being a craft I do tonight now that it's rolling around my brain a little more.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
pixie
@pixie
14 years ago
144 posts
You know, I didn't even think about healing stones! What a great idea! I am a massage therapist, maybe they'll bring me good vibes in my practice. :)Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
I picked up a few prices of driftwood off the beach the other day and Im going to try and carve a few.
Fush
@fush
14 years ago
19 posts
I put mine in pretty much at the same time I finished dreading, so like everyone else said, no worries really :)I have a glass one, three wooden ones and a bone one right now, But I've found that the glass one can get a little uncomfortable when I'm trying to sleep and I usually have to take it out where the wood ones and the bone one aren't a bother at all? I dunno if it'll be the same for you but it's a heads up I guess? Haha... Plastic could be nice like if it were a cool lookin' bead?
Amethyst
@amethyst
14 years ago
16 posts
I bought a couple of beads when I first got my dreads done - but they all slipped off. I was a wax user at the time...... since Ive stopped using wax they've gotten way fatter and have some really awesome lumps in them - so the beads I bought now fit snugly ontop of some great looking lumps! 1 is mother of pearl, which was particularly too big, glad I tried again once they had some time to develop!
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts

Akal Sahai said:

I love that idea! I never considered healing stones....glad I stumbled upon this post!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form