Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Flat matted roots and thinning! Help!

KatatoniK
@katatonik
5 years ago
43 posts

Hey! I'm having more issues now! Ugh lol now when I separate I'm loosing volume at the root. The hairs are tearing and its gotten thin at the roots and they are not doing anything but matting flat. Should I maybe do a gentle twist and backcomb a little to help them and keep them from being so nuts? Help! What can I do? Everything I read and everywhere I turn the answer is brush them out! Noooo!!! Not my babies! Any and all advice welcome! Please help fam! The one pic shows how they are normally, flat and matted at the root, not locking just congoing. The other pic I gently twisted a loc to show how thin it has gotten. It was thicker than the loc itself. (Compare photos to really see the hair loss) I keep hearing, desperate and be patient. I know! Lol I'm only asking because its becoming worse and i mnow its not right. Please help me tall!

20190730_123702.jpg
20190730_123702.jpg  •  1.7MB

20190730_123800.jpg
20190730_123800.jpg  •  1.7MB

Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
5 years ago
233 posts
Just leave it it's doing what mine are !! Lol it's fine.

Those bunches of flat hair are your "natural" dreads forming, those beautiful hairs your seeking; those who got there on their own accord.
KatatoniK
@katatonik
5 years ago
43 posts
Ok I'm just scared of how thin the roots are now. If it keeps on like this I'm a loose like 6 locs. They're looking like they're gonna break off at the root
Bazooka Guru
@bazooka-guru
5 years ago
204 posts
I have had a couple that i felt the roots were thin, and i combined them with the lock next to them with a bead or a wrap.

Looking at your pics, i think they look fine. Your roots feel thinner because they aren't locked yet.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

do not twist and backcomb .. how do you separate?  do you simply pull them awa from eachother or pull the hairs out of the roots

they look to be doing fine. not thinning the roots are just not yet dreaded ..which is normall

they have  not combined to the point they can't be separated (the only thing to really be concerned about)  they are not thinning(loose roots feel like they are thinning just cause they are loose and not firm dreads)

if your concerned about a specific 1 breaking ost photos of that 1

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
KatatoniK
@katatonik
5 years ago
43 posts
Soaring, they have thinned alot. They've been loose at the root since like day 2 lol and I can feel how much hair ive lost already. I separate normally, bottom to root, pulling apart, and only do it wet and still hair is snapping and ripping outnof my scalp alot! The back of my head is a huge mess. I just dont want them to break off and fall out. Its like 4 or so in the back at the top. I'm just trying to get a consensus on what i should do. I personally know there is an issue. Yes the back and sides and front and nape are all gonna lock different but these 4 buttheads are just matting and breaking. I guess I'm a back sleeper and never knew it lol only time it slowed down (didn't stop tho) was when I wrapped em for a lil while. I know it doesn't seem bad but in the one pic I posted I very gently and loosely twisted the root of the lock so you can see the difference on size. Ive lost half the volume at the root from where I started and I'm only a week shy of two months in. If it keeps going like this, I'm a be bald back there in a month.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

its thinner  cause the part your twistings not matted dread ofcourse loose hair twists thiner. like if i hadd undreaded hair a ponytail would be only as thick as a quarter or less.. dime even .. but dreaded its like 10 inches. you can compress alot of undreaded hair into a smaller space

the roots have loosened up.. thats all thats normal they will be loose for many months then get tight

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
5 years ago
233 posts
Yes as SE said, the loose hairs will not be as dense as the knotted hairs. It takes a few months/ year or more for some before the locks get down forwards the scalp, it will happen.

I don't suggest separating while wet, your hairs are more likely to break as you're describing when they're wet! I usually wait til the next day when my hair is completely dry before separating.
LunaKat13
@lunakat13
5 years ago
54 posts

Mine did this at some point too. They have since thickened. It’s just your hair doing it’s thing.  

KatatoniK
@katatonik
5 years ago
43 posts
Thanks y'all. If I try seperating dry they do nothing lol i have to dampen them and then they come apart. They're being so unruly! Lol theyre grounded!! Haha
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form