Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Not sure if my dreads are even growing?

XYZ123
@xyz123
4 years ago
29 posts
I've had my dreads for about 11 months now, & I am curious of the outcome thus far. I know dreads go through a shrinkage stage from anywhere between 6 - 12 months. I know it's only been a month beyond the 12, but my dreads are much shorter than when I first started, which when they were first dreaded were down to my Jasmine, about 8 or so inches. Now, they're anywhere between 4 and 6 inches. Some only 1 inch because ocf breakage, which has happened to about 5 of them, mainly in the back where my hair is straighter. I dyed three of them at the root to see if they are even growing because at this point I am pretty scared that they're either not growing or growing very, very slowly, and I honestly do not want to cut them off & start all over. When should I be expecting a noticeable growth in my hair after the shrinking stage that has already passed? Is there anyway to be sure my hair is actually growing? Am I doing something wrong, or missing something? What should I DO!? Please help, I don't want to start all over again! :/
updated by @xyz123: 02/14/15 03:49:24AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
27,413 posts

why did they break what have you done to weakrn them so much besides the stupid stuff the salonbs told you to do

hairs always growing

1/2 inch a month average

sometimes less

but the shrinking stage dont sudenly reverse to growth it slows then stalls then grows

give it 2-3 months and u will see an inch probly

but

whatever u been doing that caused em to break..stop

stop everrything but washing and seperating

ps sometimes just seperating u gain a small bit of lenghth since the roots that were bound get released

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
tha tron
@tha-tron
4 years ago
145 posts
are you for sure they arent growing? I've never heard of someones hair not growing. Are you loosing your hair (genetics) are you shedding a lot.How is your diet? Dreads are different until they get longer and heavier they don't show length. My hair seems very short until I wash them the. They areWet and heavy and I can shake them and they actually move. But.. Reality sets in and they dry and Matt back Down..I wouldnt worry about it.. I'm sure your fine... Just forget about them.. A watched pot never boils... Keep this in mind. Happy dreading
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
4 years ago
2,730 posts

Give them time. Mine shrunk to half the original length and then grew faster then they did before I locked them.

Eagles right, they go through a stage where they shrink. then a stage where they seem to stall out on you. Then after a little while they will start growing and you wont be able to stop them.

And yeah, what happened that they broke off? I mean, I've lost a few from week roots, but none have ever broken off in the middle

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
4 years ago
121 posts

How long did it take yours to shrink, baba?

XYZ123
@xyz123
4 years ago
29 posts
To be honest, I did absolutely NOTHING. My friend did my dreads for me, he had been reading a lot on 'em, & I had no clue on the subj. but I wanted them. He told me use no product, wash whenever, & clockwise rub. I had one in the front completely fall out & the other one was starting to thin but I used the hair from the old one and other loose hairs & added it to that one to save it. The three in the back pretty much completely broke off & since then (6 months or so ago) doesn't seem they have grown much at all. Still at an inch. My dad said it may have been a lack of moisture on my scalp which probably caused them to break. I don't know. I'm giving it 'til the second year mark to see some decent results 'cause I'm getting pretty agitated with 'em y'know. & also I havent been to any salons. I've read a lot that they do nothing to help haha.

soaring eagle said:

why did they break what have you done to weakrn them so much besides the stupid stuff the salonbs told you to do

hairs always growing

1/2 inch a month average

sometimes less

but the shrinking stage dont sudenly reverse to growth it slows then stalls then grows

give it 2-3 months and u will see an inch probly

but

whatever u been doing that caused em to break..stop

stop everrything but washing and seperating

ps sometimes just seperating u gain a small bit of lenghth since the roots that were bound get released

XYZ123
@xyz123
4 years ago
29 posts
I mean in not sure that's why I'm asking. Because I know they shrink & all it just seems that after a whole year they should seem to be growing noticeably. There's no shedding or nothing like that, minus the breakage but that was about 5-6 months ago. Good quote'. I'll be sure to keep that in mind, forreal.

tha tron said:
are you for sure they arent growing? I've never heard of someones hair not growing. Are you loosing your hair (genetics) are you shedding a lot. How is your diet? Dreads are different until they get longer and heavier they don't show length. My hair seems very short until I wash them the. They areWet and heavy and I can shake them and they actually move. But.. Reality sets in and they dry and Matt back Down..I wouldnt worry about it.. I'm sure your fine... Just forget about them.. A watched pot never boils... Keep this in mind. Happy dreading
XYZ123
@xyz123
4 years ago
29 posts
I'm not sure what happened, exactly. Just that the one's in the back became very lose, I tried redreading them (TnR) & then my hair just came out like that. On three different dreads. I had two on each side break & lose a lot of hair but the damage wasn't as bad (6 to 4 in. instead of 5 to 1 in. like the back). I also had two in the front, one broke off in the middle, completely, & the other is still here, the middle started to thin but I saved it so it should be good now. I literally have done nothing known to cause this. I know I'm not balding or anything. My dad told me it was a lack of moisture on my scalp, so he helped me with that & now I'm just trying to be patient. Thing is I could be a lot more patient, but I'm just so anxious just 'cause of all the breakage & stalling of the growth.

Baba Fats said:

Give them time. Mine shrunk to half the original length and then grew faster then they did before I locked them.

Eagles right, they go through a stage where they shrink. then a stage where they seem to stall out on you. Then after a little while they will start growing and you wont be able to stop them.

And yeah, what happened that they broke off? I mean, I've lost a few from week roots, but none have ever broken off in the middle

taye
@taye
4 years ago
836 posts

the clockwise rubbing can break the hairs at the roots. It is not a good thing to do. I am curious as to how you added hairs to the dread to save it. Have you been crocheting your hair?

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
4 years ago
90 posts
What about bleach or dye? Malnutrition can cause brittle hair as well. Are you under weight?
 / 3

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus