Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Social Work

Mama Corn
@mama-corn
11 years ago
4 posts

Hey everyone! I'm a college student working toward a master's degree in social work, and I'm just curious if anyone has any experience/has ever known a social worker with dreads. I'm still 3 years away from my degree, and intend to work as a clinician/mental health therapist. I'm prepared to comb out or cut off my dreads if it's a necessity, but I'm really hoping it won't come to that... Thanks in advance!

updated by @mama-corn: 01/13/15 09:55:27PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

I've known some social workers who were hippy types, but none with dreads. I highly doubt they would be a problem in this context. just keep them neat, look and, most importantly, act professional. I'm sure it wont be a problem for you.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

it shouldnt however o know when working with mentaly disabled theres a chance your dreads will be a grab and pull danger i supose with certain mental health patients the same risk maybe there but far less likely

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

A necessity due to not getting a job...no...don't worry about that part....a necessity due to what Soaring Eagle said....just put them up in a head wrap if it comes to the pulling from others....be true to your self how you feel...if they are a part of you, then keep them....peace

la Renarde
@la-renarde
11 years ago
54 posts

Of course, this isn't exactly the same, but when I was studying massage therapy, we had some issues about stretched ear lobes, tattoos and dreads. One of my wise teachers simply told us that if our employer wouldn't accept us as we are, maybe it just wouldn't be a place where we would fit or like to work. Good luck. Love.

Mama Corn
@mama-corn
11 years ago
4 posts

Thanks for the feedback all!

Caleb William Hart
@caleb-william-hart
11 years ago
14 posts

I would really hope it wouldn't be a problem, I'm lucky to have open minded and tolerant enough supervisors where I work that they don't mind, especially with mine going only on week 2, so as of right now, I can look pretty grungey, but I love it, and nobody seems to mind.

Just try to keep a really good work ethic, appear professional, and be prompt, and always excel and shoot for higher goals than they expect of you. Shouldn't be a problem, hope I could hep a little bit! I'm no wise person but I thought I might give it a shot!

p.s. I don't work in social work, but I do work in a lot of face to face customer service. Also, I do know a lady who has dreads at the local Human Resource Center... not sure if that counts as social work or not but hey she's got a professional position!

-Be easy, Caleb

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form