dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Advice about sectioning please!

Charlotte
@charlotte
13 years ago
57 posts

Hi everyone,

I am planning on starting dreadlocks soon (I.e. as soon as I can persuade my friends that what they really want to do is sit with me all day causing me pain!)

I was hoping that someone out there could help me work out how many sections I should split my hair into.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

updated by @charlotte: 02/14/15 03:37:00AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

1 you do not want to cauee pain are u planning on backcombing? why not twist and rip its way gentler and u want to do it gently no pain

2 best thing to do is not section it let it section itself

dont comb 2 weeks it will section itself exactly as it wants to

now at that 2 week mark thats when u decide wether to just let it dread on its own pain free no freinds needed or to twist and rip

personaly id just let it dread why have youir hair pulled when u can just let it happen on its own

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tori
@tori
13 years ago
34 posts
It all depends on how much hair you have... I have thick hair and I ended up with 60 something...cant ever get an exact count LOL! But you want to stagger it like laying a brick wall. If you dont you will have block-y sections on top of one another and lots of empty space!! hope that helps!! :-)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

it actuakly does not depend on how much hair or how thick or thin almost everyone has pretty close to the same surface area

so if you are going to use unatural sexctioning never ever let the root sections be larger then 1 inch

anything from pencil size to 1 inch is fine

numbver 20 is huge dreads

30-40 big

40-60 medium

60-80 thin

80-100 real thin

100-200 very very thin

200-400 micro

aVERAGE PPL HAVE IS IN THE 40-60 RANGE I GUESS

I WOULDNT BOTHER WITH THE STAGARED BLOCKS A BLOCKS A BLOCK THEY WILL ALL END UP TOO UNIFORM

THEY LOOK BETTER A BLEND OF SIZES WITHIN A RANGE

IF U WANT THIN DREADS A BLEND OF PENCIL TO THUMB SIZES

IF U WANT THICK THUMB TO 1 INCH

IF U WANT MORE NATURAL OR NATURAL AS CAN BE COMPLETELY RANDOM FROM AN INCH TO REAL THIN

ID GO WOTH THE MORE RANDOM LOOK

SEE SHE RECOMENDS STAGERING SO IT DONT LOOK SO BLOCKY

WELL STAGARED BLOCKS ARE SILL BLOCKS JUST LIL MIORE BLENDED LESS GOOFY LOOKING

BUT THE MORE RANDOM BOTH THE SIZE AND PLACFEMENT THE MORE BLENDEDTHEY LOOK

SO RANDOM SHAOPES SIZES THE ONLY THING TO WATCH OUT FOR IS THAT THE HAIRS AT THE ROOTS ARENT CRISS CROSSING INTO OTHER SECTIONS

damn caps lock

--
Charlotte
@charlotte
13 years ago
57 posts

Thanks a lot!

I would love to start them off naturally and see how it went. Unfortunately, I have picked up a habit of unconsciously fiddling with my hair and pulling the knots out. Very counter productive! For example, the little hairs at the nape of my neck always start to dread, but during the day I pull at them...

TnR was the way I was planning on going. I just imagined that someone else pulling my hair, no matter their intent, is going to be uncomfortable?

Would the different thicknesses dread at different speeds?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
they can but not significantly u should do as much yourself as u can only get help with the back and watch with mirrors to be sure its done right

--
Charlotte
@charlotte
13 years ago
57 posts

Cool beans! Thanks a lot for your help.

Jerry
@jerry
13 years ago
15 posts

I don't think that is necessarily true. I believe that hair density, texture and thickness are important factors. It may not solely depend on those factors, but i do think they play a significant role in dreadsize.

For example, the hair around my edges is much thinner than the hair on my crown. The sections on my crown are relatively small compared the ones on my edges. But the '(immature)dreads' are thicker on my crown (small section) and the ones on my edges are very thin.

I've also seen a lot of people with locks (youtube, pictures, real life) and they hugely differ in size based on the amount of dreads.

soaringeagle said:

it actuakly does not depend on how much hair or how thick or thin almost everyone has pretty close to the same surface area

so if you are going to use unatural sexctioning never ever let the root sections be larger then 1 inch

30-40 big

40-60 medium

60-80 thin

80-100 real thin

100-200 very very thin

200-400 micro

I WOULDNT BOTHER WITH THE STAGARED BLOCKS A BLOCKS A BLOCK THEY WILL ALL END UP TOO UNIFORM

IF U WANT MORE NATURAL OR NATURAL AS CAN BE COMPLETELY RANDOM FROM AN INCH TO REAL THIN

SO RANDOM SHAOPES SIZES THE ONLY THING TO WATCH OUT FOR IS THAT THE HAIRS AT THE ROOTS ARENT CRISS CROSSING INTO OTHER SECTIONS

damn caps lock

Charlotte
@charlotte
13 years ago
57 posts

Thanks!

I guess you can never predict what exactly will happen :)

Part of the fun!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

immature they change sizes till mature when mature the section size is pretty much dread size

unless u crochetted or interlock or twist the helkl ouutta em

when imature yes they wont be the sizwe of the sections

Jerry said:

I don't think that is necessarily true. I believe that hair density, texture and thickness are important factors. It may not solely depend on those factors, but i do think they play a significant role in dreadsize.

For example, the hair around my edges is much thinner than the hair on my crown. The sections on my crown are relatively small compared the ones on my edges. But the '(immature)dreads' are thicker on my crown (small section) and the ones on my edges are very thin.

I've also seen a lot of people with locks (youtube, pictures, real life) and they hugely differ in size based on the amount of dreads.

soaringeagle said:

30-40 big

40-60 medium

60-80 thin

80-100 real thin

100-200 very very thin

200-400 micro

damn caps lock

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form