dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help please!

Juls Costa
@juls-costa
11 years ago
5 posts

Hey guys,

After reading almost all the posts and searching a lot on this website, I finally became a member!

I really need to share my experience with you, I'm pretty sure that you will be able to help me and also motivate me for my dreading journey.

I'd started two months ago. My initial idea was to have just some dreads mixed with my loose natural hair. I'd made the first ones with the TnR method initially and then fixed it with crochet.

At the moment I have around 10 dreads and I've fixed them with crochet twice. After reading this site and getting more info about it, I really regret using the crochet method.

Just with TnR I didn't believe that it would dread out. My hair is too thin, straight and weak. My dreads were falling a part since the first week. That's why a friend of mine suggested crochet.

I didn't like the effect of crochet dreads, it hurts, itches and doesn't look good as well. I'd already decided to stop with it. But my doubt is, from now on what should I do? Just let it be and grow naturally?

Besides, I'd also decided that I want to dread all my hair. I just realized how tuff it is to keep half of your hair on a way and half on another... The maintenance for both is completely opposite. I have to make my mind!

So, for the next ones that I'm gonna make, I'll use just the TnR method and use the right products for keeping them. I've been todreadlockshampoo.com and I really liked some of their products, like shampoo and karma gel. I think it would help me out with my locking up process. What would you guys say?

Actually, I'm in a deep crisis with my hair at the moment. Sometimes I even regret to had started. I always wanted to have dreadlocks, I find them beautiful, cool, sexy... But I'm not sure if it suits me.

My biggest problem is that I have very less hair and it's very thin. I really don't want to show my scalp with the sections. I'm very confused at the moment!

I guess all I need is some motivation, maybe some of you had been thru some similar situation. Please share it with me, cheer me up and give some good tips ;)

Thank you all <3

updated by @juls-costa: 01/13/15 09:54:17PM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Welcome to the site Juls! Crochet is bad for dreads....but if you only did it twice then it will fix itself. It just takes time. The hair will have to loosen a bit and it will then start to knot up properly. Just please don't do it any more. :) TnR is a good way to start dreads. Dreads are not made....they are grown...and it takes a year or more to become mature dreads. Starter methods are like an outline (a pencil sketch) for dreads. It will come undone a bit.In order for the hair to dread it has to move around and form knots. It will develop crazy lumps, bumps and loops. That is a good thing. Those lumps bumps and loops are what become dreads. My hair is very thin and fine too. Dreads will fatten up and make it look like your hair is very thick. Before I could double up one of those small baby size elastics around my ponytail. Now I cannot even double up a big scrunchy around them. My one big advice for thin hair....make smaller sections on the top of your head...it helps cover the scalp better. The rule of thumb is the dread will thicken up to the size of the section...but thin hair like mine will never be as thick as the section.

I do like the shampoo bars from dreadlockshampoo.com but I have never used the gel. I hear wonderful things about it from people that have used it. I hope that i answered all your questions :) Have a beautiful day!!!!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/just-starting-out-what-to-expect?xg_source=activity Read this posting I made about the T&R journey, it will answer many questions and reassure you on your journey.

• glad you won't crochet anymore. Those sections will dread, but it will slow down or halt the maturing for about 6 months, but leaving them alone from here on in will allow them to eventually do their thing
  • all hair will dread, even thin hair. Your scalp shows right now because the sections were made. That look will disappear, the hairs around it will fill in like spider webs I guess and the scalp showing will be gone, so no worries about that.
  • you ordered the best shampoo out there for dreads, it will help your hair lock up
  • let the rest of your undreaded hair section itself naturally. This take a couple of weeks to do. I did the T&R method also, but I really have to say that the neglect/freeform method is the best and quickest way for beautiful dreads
  • they will mature in 1-2 years, but your crocheted ones will be closer to 2 years
  • just re read your post, and you want to do the rest with T&R, so first, let your hair section itself. Once they are, divide any that are larger than 1 inch where the section meets the scalp. Once mature, that is the thickness they will be. The ones you have look thin now probably, but they shrink and thicken up to that section size, they will not stay the thickness of how a T&R dread look in the beginning.
  • After you have made them, all you need to do is wash 2-3 times a week with your dread shampoo, separate any sections that are trying to join onto one another. Best to do it with wet hair, it is the strongest at that time. Just grab the two sections trying to join, and slowly rip them apart going up towards the scalp. Leave just a little together at the scalp area, this is what covers the scalp and section look and it causes no scalp strain that way
  • When you do the T&R on the rest, so that you don't get a braided look, use this method: Twist Rip Rip Rip, Twist Rip Rip Rip Rip, Twist Rip Rip Rip and so on. Also, don't do them tightly because they need to loosen up in order to dread. I did some of my thinner ones tight and they are taking much longer to mature form the other ones. Loose is best
  • Don't worry when the roots are loose, they will and should be 3-4 inches loose at the scalp to do their maturing journey, no scalp stress or tight hair pulling on the scalp. Once mature, they will and should be 1 inch loose at the scalp. Again, this allows no hair pulling, no stress when dreads are tied up or when they sway in the breeze
  • Hair dreads faster when loose, So don't tie them up all the time. If you need to, use a shoe lace to tie them loosely. The texture of the lace keeps it in place. Don't wear tight hats, again, the hair needs to move in order to knot, tight hats slows down the process.
  • Almost forgot, itchy scalp.....finish off your wash every time with a cold head rinse, as cold as you can take. This will help it plenty and stop it....

Your journey is to be enjoyed and worried free. If you wash & separate, you can sit back and enjoy the journey of dreaded and embrace all the changes that happen to it while it is maturing. It really is a crazy and fun ride to get there. Any more questions, please ask, I want you to enjoy it...peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well thin fine hair dreads just fine naturaly natural theres less strict definition between dreads sections so less chance of scalp showing between dreads so just maintain whole head as if u got dreads and soon u will

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Juls Costa
@juls-costa
11 years ago
5 posts

OMG guys, thank you soooo much! You have been so helpful!

That really motivated me a lot!! Now I fell safe to keep on my journey!

You totally saved my dreadlocks!

Thank you very very much!

Peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form