Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The "Constantly Changing" Law of Locks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

your right i mau have misunderstood i thought he meandt chunks of hair would break off

if its breaking ..jojoba

if its kjust loose ends thats normal and fine and the pink sea salt will help

but

if its just loose ends ..stop pulling it apart

that is all

its fine loose

but messin with it will make it looser

please define the issue more clearly and ill know which way to go

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/23/15 04:21:09AM
KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

I wish I could define the issue more clearly. =/

For the record, im not pulling the ends apart. I was simply stating that to demonstrate how loose the once knotted up ends are, and are now coming undone, apart of my own doing.

All I know is, for awhile now, Ive been having ends come undone, loosing length, some breaking in half, and other shafts becoming weak and shedding. Whats causing it? Whats the issue? I have no idea, thats why im coming here and asking. Ive been supplementing with Biotin for the past two months and switched to the shampoo bars. Havnt noticed a improvement.

And yes, those two locks are the same. Just photographed 3 months apart to help demonstrate the damage. Should I go back to the Baking Soda? This was happening when I was doing the BS/ACV too, which is why I switched to the bars because people said I was frying my hair with the BS...

All my friends with backcombed dreads and even crocheted dreads have tigher, fuller locks that dont break, shred and come undone...I thought natural was supposed to be the healthiest and just dont know why mine are going through the ringer. :(

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

are they just loose or..do they feel damaged to they break easily

i would not go back to bds

stick with the bars

or try the liquid

hows your diet and stress level and health in general

they are how old?

they will change alot till fily mature it could just be them still figuring out thier way

do u wear em down and loose alot or how?

take a pinch of a few hairs pull em out till they break did it seem too easy?

id go as far as doing a ph test on your hair and posibly an eleasticity test (not sure how thats done but 1 of our haurdressrs might know)

you may be worried about nothing or it may be something but its hard to be sure without seeing whats really going on

if it seems healthy and strong then the pink sea sal and/or the liquid will help tighten it up

if it seems dry brittle and weak

then the jojoba aloe and vitamin e should help strengthen it

if you are pretty sure its a hair health issue not just a looseness issue then i may have another suggestion (tho the 1 i made b4 might be better)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

They dont feel damaged. They just feel loose.

My diet and stress levels are pretty well maintained. Mostly vegetarian and I live a pretty clear lifestyle with daily amounts of meditation and yoga.

Locks are almost 3 years old. I wear them down 95% of the time.

I dont think they are dry and brittle. They just feel loose. Like I could (but dont) pull the lock apart. Some like one I posted earlier are getting weak spots that are thinning and in turn cause for breaking. I honestly feel they just need to be locked tighter.

Ill try the liquid within the next week. But the sea salt should I add it to the liquid shampoo, or just do sprays in between washes?

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Salt should do it. But it should not be left on the hair more than a few hours.

Glad their not damaged and are just loose!

KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

Do you have to wash the salt out or can you just rinse it out?

How often should I do a sea salt spray?

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

You can do it every other time you wash. Just leave it in for two hours and then rinse out. If you leave it in it'll seriously damage your hair. Crispy fried. Not cool.

Something else I've found which tightens locks is using a temporary hair dye like Natural Instincts. The chemicals in it have the potential to tighten hair up almost painfully. I learned that a few months back. I was in tears for about 12 hours until they loosened up again near the scalp.

KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

So its been about two weeks longer and my problems still persist...I switched over to the Liquid dreadlocks shampoo and havnt noticed much of a change in the tightness, but it smells amazing.

But, my problems still persist and dont know what I else I can do...They keep shedding, thinning and breaking...Here are pictures of whats going on.

g ^ The end is going to break off this one. (A few have have this happen) ^ Little clumps of hair shedding. These two ends used to be twice as long.

^ Both of those are examples of my hair shedding. Groups of hair that was once knotted into the dread is now coming undone causing locks to be weak in parts due to thinning.

I dont know what to do :(

updated by @kafkax: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

Yeah the roots seem healthy and strong.

Not so much breakage, thinning, and shedding there.

Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts
I'm only new here and I have lot learn, I have only used ACV once and that was coz I did a stupid thing and put wa x in my hair and have only bomed my dreads with BS a couple of times for a deep clean , I wash with dread soap once or twice a week...I'm just wondering if to much ACV and BS is affecting your hairs PH.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form