Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The "Constantly Changing" Law of Locks

KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

Great analogy, thats exactly whats going on. I dont have any jewelry so I dont think its constantly rubbing anything even though I wear my hair down 100% of the time, unless im eating.

A Heart On Fire said:

to me, with my noob eyes, it kinda looks like its fraying like rope.... no chance its rubbing over something constantly? like a chain or necklace or piece of clothing?

updated by @kafkax: 07/23/15 04:31:28PM
KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

I havnt used the BS and ACV in several months. Maybe once or twice because I was out of shampoo.

Rustdust said:

I'm only new here and I have lot learn, I have only used ACV once and that was coz I did a stupid thing and put wa x in my hair and have only bomed my dreads with BS a couple of times for a deep clean , I wash with dread soap once or twice a week...I'm just wondering if to much ACV and BS is affecting your hairs PH.
CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

I dont know what to say that others haven't already said, but please continue to keep us posted. Good luck and blessings

Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

Ok so In your post you say I wash 2 (sometimes) 3 times a week with BS/ACV,Now although you haven't done so for a few months it may have been the cause - and effect that your seeing now. baking soda has a ph of around 8.5 - 9 , vinegar is around 2, out of curiosity would you say you have used more BS than ACV ?

I stillthinkyouproblemmay be Ph, ReferencedInfo

A scale of zero to fourteen is used for pH, with 7.0 being a neutral solution (water). A number below 7.0 is considered to be acidic, with a lower number being more acidic, and anything above 7.0 is considered to be alkaline or basic, with 14 being the strongest alkaline value. Due to the logarithmic nature of the pH scale, a solution with a pH of 2.0 is ten times more acidic than one with a pH of 3.0. Human hair is a solid material, a composite of protein molecules with three distinct layers. The central portion called the medulla is not present in every hair and is usually just made up of air. The surrounding layer, known as the cortex, is composed of bundles of fibrous coils made of keratin protein molecules that supply the hair strand with its strength and elasticity. The cortex also contains particles of melanin, which impart colour to the hair strand. The outer layer is comprised of multiple layers of overlapping, keratinized scales and is called the cuticle, which acts to protect the cortex and medulla. Hair and skin are both covered by a very thin fluid layer comprised of oil, salt and water, called the mantle, which is slightly acidic (pH = 4.5 5.0). This acid mantle is very important in maintaining the proper moisture balance in our hair and skin. It is also instrumental in making the cuticle scales lie flatter against the surface of the hair shaft, which makes hair smoother and shinier as the flat scales reflect light more coherently. Scales that lie more snugly against the hair shaft also prevent moisture loss more efficiently, which helps hair to be stronger and healthier. With the normal exposure to the environment as well as washing and styling, this acid mantle can become contaminated or removed and must be restored with the use of properly pH-balanced products.

Mildly acidic products can be applied to the hair to harden the outer layer, flatten the cuticles, and shrink the diameter of the hair. This serves to make the hair glossy, shiny and less prone to tangling and snagging on adjacent hair strands. Hair that is close to its ideal pH of 4.5 5.0 is also at its peak strength. Shampoos and conditioners that are mildly acidic also have been noted to provide longer life to the colour of hair that has been dyed.

Alkaline products cause the hair to swell, the cuticle to lift and remove oils from the air. This results in frizzy, dull, brittle hair that is prone to breakage and tangling. Extremely alkaline solutions cause the disulphide bonds between keratin protein molecules to break down and can eventually dissolve the protein completely. These types of solutions are the ones used to perm or relax the hair and can be extremely damaging, especially to hair that is already fragile.

Most modern shampoos and conditioners are formulated to be slightly acidic, having a pH around that of the hairs acid mantle (4.0-5.0). For this reason, you may see chemicals such as citric acid or sodium hydroxide or triethanolamine towards the end of the ingredient list of products you use. These are added in very tiny amounts in order to adjust the pH of the product to the proper level.

Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

So hair with a high Ph valueAlkaline is good for tangling this maybe good for forming dread in the early stages but is prone tobreakage, dreads that are well matured maybenefitfrom a lower Ph value Acidic,Hair that is close to its ideal pH of 4.5 5.0 is also at its peak strength.

I hope you can get it sorted what ever theproblemis, good luck and let us know how you go.

Cheers

Rustdust

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well you dont really want it ever getting truly alkaline preferwable \y never out of the normal range just u can use bs no acv to tip it away from the too acidic side

yea it will screw it up if it gets alkaline it will fry it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

Yes, that's why I asked if KafkaX has used more BS than ACV ? as BS has a Ph of 8.5 to 9. so regular and frequent use of ether will eventually effect the mantle.

soaring eagle said:

well you dont really want it ever getting truly alkaline preferwable \y never out of the normal range just u can use bs no acv to tip it away from the too acidic side

yea it will screw it up if it gets alkaline it will fry it

/ 4
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form