Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

HashFlare
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural Hair Dyes

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
5 years ago
205 posts

I am so like your friend. I only use henna because I hate my natural hair colour. All the women on my dads side are ginger. I just got the skin tone and the brown hair everyone else got. Completely shafted in my opinion.

Once my greys are better established I'm letting them grow out. I love grey hair. It looks awesome. I'm always excited to find new ones. I love that they go bright orange with the henna though. They make awesome highlights.

I'm a little odd I guess.

Ixchel said:

my best friend in high school wanted her hair grey since she was 15. she loves the silver fox look ;) it can have a certain beauty about it


updated by @tied-up-in-knots: 07/23/15 03:26:34AM
Melanie2
@melanie2
5 years ago
99 posts

I just seeit as a sign of premature ageing, rather like balding...although that sadly happens to very young men too. I think I might give one of the commercially prepared natural colours a go..I like the idea of a deep burgundy : ) I can't go too crazy with colour because my work would not be happy about it.

Tied up in knots said:

I am so like your friend. I only use henna because I hate my natural hair colour. All the women on my dads side are ginger. I just got the skin tone and the brown hair everyone else got. Completely shafted in my opinion.

Once my greys are better established I'm letting them grow out. I love grey hair. It looks awesome. I'm always excited to find new ones. I love that they go bright orange with the henna though. They make awesome highlights.

I'm a little odd I guess.

Ixchel said:

my best friend in high school wanted her hair grey since she was 15. she loves the silver fox look ;) it can have a certain beauty about it

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
5 years ago
205 posts

I can totally see why you feel that way. It's pretty normal to feel that way I think. I've just always had a thing for grey hair.

I think burgundy would be pretty awesome. Make sure to post a picture once you've done it. Maybe write a review on the dye you end up using and you can help other people out who come along with the same question.

Melanie said:

I just seeit as a sign of premature ageing, rather like balding...although that sadly happens to very young men too. I think I might give one of the commercially prepared natural colours a go..I like the idea of a deep burgundy : ) I can't go too crazy with colour because my work would not be happy about it.

Tied up in knots said:

I am so like your friend. I only use henna because I hate my natural hair colour. All the women on my dads side are ginger. I just got the skin tone and the brown hair everyone else got. Completely shafted in my opinion.

Once my greys are better established I'm letting them grow out. I love grey hair. It looks awesome. I'm always excited to find new ones. I love that they go bright orange with the henna though. They make awesome highlights.

I'm a little odd I guess.

Ixchel said:

my best friend in high school wanted her hair grey since she was 15. she loves the silver fox look ;) it can have a certain beauty about it

KnotLady
@knotlady
5 years ago
302 posts

got my first grey when i was 11 and im 23 now and getting more and more. i like it. i think its kind of an honor. i love the way they look in my dreads too.

BeauZay
@beauzay
5 years ago
92 posts

Hi Melanie,

I know nothing about coloring..

but I have a big streak of grey going down the middle of my head. I started going all natural 3 weeks ago and it just so happened my hair wanted to part down the middle. I always hated my grey hair because there really is quite a bit of it. But I've accepted it and actually think it looks kinda cool now. Hahaha, and I'm only 27.

Melanie2
@melanie2
5 years ago
99 posts

It's great that you can accept it, I feel very happy for you that you can do that...right now I don't feel ready and would like to explore some colourants first :D I see 'normal' haired women who can't be out of their 20's and they have over 80% grey/white and it just makes them look like an old lady..which is obviously ok for them.

Lukey Luke
@lukey-luke
5 years ago
26 posts

How do you use the teas/coffee to darken them make a big ol' pot and soak 'em?

soaring eagle said:

beets for a burgandy

tea or cooffee to darken

rosemary tea to darken

but why not be proud of he greys and accept them

Mama Amandier
@mama-amandier
5 years ago
8 posts

I use henna. I've used it for years and have continued to do so since starting dreads. What you want is body art quality henna, it is triple sieved making it wonderfully smooth to apply and easy to rinse out of dreads. This site is a great source of info:http://www.hennaforhair.com/

KnotLady
@knotlady
5 years ago
302 posts

Thats a great website! i havent tried henna yet though. does the conditioning natureof it affect the dreading process?

Mama Amandier said:

I use henna. I've used it for years and have continued to do so since starting dreads. What you want is body art quality henna, it is triple sieved making it wonderfully smooth to apply and easy to rinse out of dreads. This site is a great source of info:http://www.hennaforhair.com/

Mama Amandier
@mama-amandier
5 years ago
8 posts

Hiya Knotlady, yes it does loosen baby dreads a bit. It didn't seem to make my hair completely un knot or anything though.The great thing about applying henna to dreads is that the hair is presectioned so it is quick and easy, plus you only need about half the quantity you would use on un dreaded hair. When you make up your henna mix though you need to make it more liquid, apparently this is particularly the case on mature dreads as they drink the moisture up like sponges and then the henna falls off!

 
 / 3
 
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form