Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural Hair Dyes

KnotLady
@knotlady
12 years ago
300 posts

Thats good to know!im a little confused on dye release though.how can you tell that dye release has happened?
Mama Amandier said:

Hiya Knotlady, yes it does loosen baby dreads a bit. It didn't seem to make my hair completely un knot or anything though.The great thing about applying henna to dreads is that the hair is presectioned so it is quick and easy, plus you only need about half the quantity you would use on un dreaded hair. When you make up your henna mix though you need to make it more liquid, apparently this is particularly the case on mature dreads as they drink the moisture up like sponges and then the henna falls off!t

updated by @knotlady: 07/23/15 03:59:25PM
Melanie2
@melanie2
12 years ago
99 posts

Thank you for your advice : )

Ixchel said:

not all hennas are created equal, some are finer than others. but no matter what it is kinda hard to rinse out & it will be conditioning on your dreads. i order from http://www.hennaforhair.com/ no matter why dye you use just put it on the outside of the dreads so it doesn't get stuck all in the center & very hard to wash out. other natural coloring- you can find indigo on that site, lighter colors: chamomile, marigolds, rhubarb roots, darker: sage, walnut hulls, tag alder, cloves. you can mix & match what you use for different results. I've never used most of these on hair (only yarn) but I know they can be used.

Melanie2
@melanie2
12 years ago
99 posts

I've found that Amazon sellers have Henna and Indigo powders so I will most likely get some from there. It's organic too : ) Will have to experiment with ratios of the two powders to get a nice deep burgundy...I really don't want to be ginger! : )

Mama Amandier said:

I use henna. I've used it for years and have continued to do so since starting dreads. What you want is body art quality henna, it is triple sieved making it wonderfully smooth to apply and easy to rinse out of dreads. This site is a great source of info: http://www.hennaforhair.com/

jacquie2
@jacquie2
12 years ago
24 posts

all though they probably wont cover greys(beets,rosemary) and also hennas due tend to fade orange in grey hair ! i color my greys using just 5volume peroxide this will make any color that you use a very semi permanent option(tends to fade in about 3 weeks) but using it a 5% volume is alot less harsh on the hair

jacquie2
@jacquie2
12 years ago
24 posts
ok y'all im 49
jacquie2
@jacquie2
12 years ago
24 posts
i have done color professionally for 30+ years.mind you i cover grey with a very low volume peroxide wich makes it more a semi permanent color. My ex husband had dreds (and was white and we woulld bleach out his roots every moth almost and this did not seem to have an effect on his dreds that grew to the middle of his back.
Buck
@buck
12 years ago
7 posts

I only use henna because I dislike my natural hair color. All my friends are cinnamon.

I just got the complexion and the darkish locks everyone else got.

Absolutely shafted in my view.

Buck
@buck
12 years ago
7 posts

I only use henna because I dislike my natural hair color. All my friends are cinnamon.

I just got the complexion and the darkish locks everyone else got.

Absolutely shafted in my view.

http://adamprowse.com.au/ Maitland Health

Jennaleigh Moonflower
@jennaleigh-moonflower
12 years ago
14 posts

Grey is beautiful :)

But if you still need some organic hair dye

Coastal Classic Creations makes some henna dye that is semi permanent. The boldness of the color lasts for about two weeks but they give you so muchpowder it will last ya a while. It was also under ten dollars and you can choose from three different colors. Of course the longer you leave it before you rinse, the stronger the color. I think everyones natural hair color looks best on them, but this is a safe dye to use.

Owl Lady
@owl-lady
10 years ago
30 posts

Thanks Soaring Eagle for those tips! Also you could use Black Walnut hulls but DONOT get it on any skin you do not want dyed. It stains. Soon I will have to accept my greys as well as many are coming in.

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form