Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Let's Get Personal

ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
12 years ago
102 posts
If I told everyone a story about spirituality, finding myself and being who I am I would unfortunately be lying.The truth is I'm an asshole who doesn't give a crap about what others think. At a certain point in my life I figured out that in order to make people avoid me as much as possible I needed 90 lbs of muscle and 20 inches of hair.It was working fine except that I needed to comb my hair way too much and that I was frequently pulling out hairs from the roots. I have coarse hair, I suppose, that knots very easily. At a certain point I was combing my hair for 2-3 hours a day.After getting sick of it I started looking for alternatives. I never considered dreads to be the solution until I saw a vid of SoaringEagle. He looked the kind of man who considers wrestling bears and swallowing buffalo's whole to be relaxing pastimes.And here I am, avoided by civilized man and woman alike. The dreads have most definately enhanced my terrifying visage. No longer will people shove into me on crowded subways. The only disadvantage is that women no longer shove their breasts in my face and their butts in my genital region during crowded subway rides. As much as I loathe my fellow man I would have to admit that was an enjoyable side-effect of crowded subways.
updated by @totheankles: 07/17/15 10:52:52PM
Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

lol, totheankles wins the thread :)

Kat Teblin
@kat-teblin
12 years ago
6 posts

I can totally relate to that, congrats.

Danika Skalet said:

I have always liked the way they looked, but my reasoning for dreading were more emotional and spiritual than anything else. For me it was like a (extremely long overdue)dedication to myself as a witch,a way to connect with nature on a deeper level, to enhance my intuition, show my freedom. I started going though a lot of changes prior to starting my journey and dreading was another stepping stone for me on my path. I love them so much.

kezz
@kezz
12 years ago
28 posts

I've looked at other peoples dreads for about the last 25 yearsand thought they looked wonderful but was never brave enough to let my own hair dread. I was always worried about not being able to get a job or losing my hair if I didnt like them.Things changed for me in May last year when my partner of 15 years was diagnosed with terminal cancer. By the time they had diagnosed it had spread throughout his body. He was so very brave even though he was in terrible pain most of the time. His only concern about dying was about leaving our little boy without his dad. He died in July last year and as you can imagine my world was turned upside down. It made me really look at my own time on this earth and made me realise that living in the moment is truly the only way to cope and try to be happy..so I have started the dread journey and I am loving it. For me it is also part of a healing process and makes me feel connected to ..everything..which in turn makes me feel connected to my lovely man. Sorry, it might all sound corny but its how it is for me. :)

ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
12 years ago
102 posts
Corny? Not at all. You know what's corny? The steaming pile of cow manure that is reality.It would've been nice if I had something useful to say, but the truth is that I wouldn't have a clue on what to do if I were in your position. Sheesh, I could barely handle it when my dog died of old age. Even the vet was so close to saying "Ok dude I know your sad and all but your a grown man for crying out loud and the dog was 20, can you just pay and leave?".
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Kezz, you partner sounds like he was a brave and wonderful man. Anyone who's only concern, to the end, is their family, did not die in vain.

It sounds like as hard as it was for you to deal with, some of hisbraveryis now inside of you. The choice to grow dreadlocks isn't one taken lightly. Like you said, you were worried about jobs and losing your hair. But now you aren't. You see that doing what feels right for you is right, That shows a lot of maturity and commitment.

Death is always difficult to handle. But you are getting something so much out of it. I don't believe in spirits, or souls in the biblical sense, but I do think that we are all interconnected. So in a way, you partner is still having an effect on you and the world around you. It couldn't hurt to say "thank you" for what his death has done for you instead of to you

Nightingale
@nightingale
12 years ago
1 posts

I decided to start dreading mine because I've had Trichotillomania for as long as I can remember. I've tried everything to help, even shaved my head a few times.. Finally decided to try dreadlocks. I'm a month in now, and I've noticed it's helping although I still catch myself pulling at it occasionally.

Plus I love the look of them, so if it helps then it's a definite win.

Shade Of Ashes
@shade-of-ashes
12 years ago
78 posts

The FULL STORY behind why I decided to dread my hair.

http://shadeofashes.blogspot.com/2012/08/why-i-decided-to-dread-my-hair.html

<3 Shade

Becsley Q Penguinface
@becsley-q-penguinface
12 years ago
36 posts

Hi! This is a great idea for a threat :) and I loved reading your reason, and everyone elses!

So here's mine. I've wanted dreads since I was 10 which was 15 years ago (eep!). I liked the look of them, I liked people that had them and I liked the decorations. I've always been a bit of a hippie, I never feel happier than when I'm by the ocean. I love nature and rain, I believe in spirits and energies and the soul. Over the years I've suppressed this part of me, because of the way I was treated for showing it. I would get laughed at, put down, mocked, I even got dumped because my boyfriend thought I was the most stupid person in the world for believing we have a soul. And so I gave in to the pressures of this society and plodded along like everyone else.

Of course, burying your true self can never go well, and so for the past few years I've been depressed, losing "friends" left, right and centre, and withdrawing completely from society as much as I can. It was at the point where I slept around an hour or so per night, spending the rest of my time awake on the computer, painting or writing or playing xbox and I was the most unhappy person for what I essentially thought was no reason.

A couple of times a year for as long as I can remember, I'd get on the internet and look up pictures of dreadlocks and dream. I think they're so beautiful and can speak a lot about the person that has them. But then I'd close the laptop and go back to bed and that would be the end of it. I was worried about what my friends would think if I got dreads, how my old school nanna probably wouldn't dig them, how I would be further shunned from a community that has already shunned me for being fat, for missing some fingers on my left hand, for being a hippie, for wearing glasses, for having tattoos.

A week or two ago, at about 4 in the morning, I stumbled across this site during my bi-annual dreadlock rummage and I made the decision. I'm not going to care about anyone elses opinions, I was going to dread my hair! I'm no longer going to be what people expect me to be, I'm going to do what makes me happy. I'm viewing dreading as much more than changing my hair, I'm using it as a turning point for the rest of my life. Even though I only have one dread in right now, just making the decision has changed my mood completely. I'm more happy, I've been sleeping, I've been talking with like-minded people who are friendly and not superficial and horrible like the people I've been surrounding myself with all my life. My parents are in full support of me and I'm amazingly thankful for having them. They are the two most incredible people. My dreads will be an extension of my soul, and will show all those morons that have made my life a misery that I am confident, happy, unique and not afraid in the least to show it :D

Peace and light to all of you x

And sorry for the super long post! :P

LionOfJudah
@lionofjudah
12 years ago
13 posts

I started dreading recently, but I've always admired dreads, because It's not something that instantly happens, it happens over time, what other hairstyle do you get to watch grow and develop all on it's own, My dreads have names, personalities, I just love it. it's like a roommate on my head, I have many reasons, this is just one of them ^___^

updated by @lionofjudah: 07/22/15 08:17:31PM

/ 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form