Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New To This

RVA-Runner
@rva-runner
14 years ago
5 posts

Hey guys! Well over the past fews year I would grow my hair to a natural fro then I would just cut it short when I got tired of it. Well this past year I didn't comb it at all and it start locking up on it self. So I decided to look into getting it locked up. I went to a natural hair stylist and she kinda gave me the run down and what I can expect. So I decided to go through with the process. So for almost 3 months I go back to her once a month and she washes it with dry shampoo and palm rolls it with palmade and gel. It is expensive but I wanted it started out right because of my job then I would do it myself. I was nervous because I sweat a lot from running and working out. But now it's not a problem. I know some people don't believe in palm rolling technique but the stylist sounded like she knew a lot.

Any suggestions??? thanks

updated by @rva-runner: 02/14/15 05:40:47AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

wait so u havent even been washing it yourselfd with water and soap

i hate to tell u this but no salon knows anything about dreads

u shouldnt have ever gone it was already dreading on its own u shoulda let it then washed it at least weekly and lewt it dread

so start washing your own hair and stiop paying someone to palm roll which does absolutely nothing at all

so tell me what she told u rto expect im betting most of it was wrong

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
14 years ago
120 posts
Hey welcome to the forum :)The truth is stylist RARELY get anything right about dreadlocks, just the infrequency of washing for one, you should be washing it at least once weekly, twice for some people, you should seriously reconsider the salon idea, especially if it's expensive, palmrolling really doesn't help anything and it causes friction damage, and the best way to wash your hair is just with baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and some essential oils, or dr. bronners, if you have an african textured hair you can try just twisting them and they will turn out fine
RVA-Runner
@rva-runner
14 years ago
5 posts

Oh Maaaan........Ok well she basically told me that I should only get my hair washed once a month. Also that she could use a reg shampoo but that It would lock up fast if I just got a dry shampoo(organic root stimulater herbal cleanse) and she would do it for me. She also told me that using beeswax is bad and that she could just palm roll with water but mine are in a shorter stage so that using the gel and palmade that would make them hold better. She also told me since my hair started locking on it own that it wouldn't take too long. I'm a personal trainer in a big commercial gym, so just letting my hair do whatever is kinda hard. She has really nice dreds herself and had books for me to read up on it and answered my questions. So it sounded legit.

this is the site: http://www.gonaturallyyours.com/stylist/ My stylist is the third one

soaringeagle said:

wait so u havent even been washing it yourselfd with water and soap

i hate to tell u this but no salon knows anything about dreads

u shouldnt have ever gone it was already dreading on its own u shoulda let it then washed it at least weekly and lewt it dread

so start washing your own hair and stiop paying someone to palm roll which does absolutely nothing at all

so tell me what she told u rto expect im betting most of it was wrong

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

yea your haor was already dreading so how hard could it be to dread u were getting perfect healthy natural dreads free and how much money did u waste to get what u already had got?

--
RVA-Runner
@rva-runner
14 years ago
5 posts

I'm def embarrassed to say this but the initial coils where $95 and its $65 for the monthly maintenance.

Yea my hair has good texture for them. I would def be nervous to do it myself. I don't wanna screw anything up.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

anybody can go natural u coulda too

hers look weirds if u look at the roots she either over twists em or interlocks

dreads dread best when clean and residue free and are not cakrwed in gunk to hold hold means restrict movement knors form by moving palkm rolling simulates movement in hair unable to move

so she slowed down the dreading creating the need for more work and expense

washh them rehularly but with a non residue shampoo nothing to hold at all only to moisturize if you get dry (the 1 didfference in african hair is it gets dry easy so needs moisture all the time)

u can use shae jojoba aloe africas best whatever but no baking it in to harden u want them soft and able to move

also every wash will make em dread more once twice a week is best

if they are delicate the baking soda mix will be gentlest on them

then leave em alone to dread a wool tam helps too

--
RVA-Runner
@rva-runner
14 years ago
5 posts

Well thanks for the info. Look likes I have a decision to make. It would def be nice not to fork over that much money. O what does a wool tam do? When I workout or sleep I wear a doo rag or cap.

Valerie
@valerie
14 years ago
39 posts

dont wear a doo rag. those are supposed to help prevert nappyness (not sure if thats a word) but nappy is kind of what you want with dreads.

anyways my friend has beautiful dreads and he said he just uses "shampoo for black people" and washes his hair once a week. besides that he doesnt do anything. hes been growing them since they were about an inch long i believe they were twisted

mine are about a month old and i use baking soda to wash and apple cider vinegar to condition. besides that i just make sure they stay separated and that its for any maintenance.

i dunno its a trail and error thing. but do whats best for you! look around this site theres a lot to be learned. soaring eagle is great at answering most questions.

hello and welcome by the way! good luck with your dreads

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

do ragas way too tight and nylon which pulls at hairs wool has kloose electrons which cause static helping them to knot up faster pluss fitting looser alows movement while providing compression

a do rag will just crush em and like the gel prevent moveme t

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form