Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Discouraged :/

Tibicen Linnei
@tibicen-linnei
14 years ago
13 posts
This is similar to my family...especially with the holidays coming up, my family is on me about "brushing my damn hair". What they are slowly beginning to realize is that...My dreadlocks make me happy about myself and my body. Isn't that what a parent should want for their child?And friends have no right to put you down for what you want for yourself...Last time I checked, dreads don't hurt anyone, so why does it matter? It's hair. We've all got ancestors that had dreadlocks their entire lives. When man and woman crawled out of the cave, no one was too concerned about hair because our ancestors were a bit more concerned about making fire, finding food, and running from things that wanted to eat them.If someone tries to put you down for your choice, it's probably because that person doesn't understand dreadlocks. Humans try to hate things they don't understand.Just know that you're beautiful with or without dreads, and that what makes YOU happy is what YOU should do. Eventually people will back off, or even come to love your new hair. If they don't...If someone really judges you over HAIR, then you should see that they're not really worth the worry. <3
updated by @tibicen-linnei: 07/19/15 05:06:50AM
Anna Raymond
@anna-raymond
14 years ago
13 posts
Don't bother with them. My family freaks out every time I do something that they don't consider feminine or normal. You should have heard my grandma when I had my septum pierced! Everyday she told me I looked like a bull/ I looked like I had boogers/I looked like a boy. I just said "yeah, I know, I like it". After a few weeks she finally settled down. LOLYou're a beautiful woman, and no matter what you do to your hair (or what you don't do, in the case of dreads) you will always be a beautiful woman--nothing can change that.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i looove how you put this :)very well said

Tibicen Linnei said:
This is similar to my family...especially with the holidays coming up, my family is on me about "brushing my damn hair". What they are slowly beginning to realize is that...My dreadlocks make me happy about myself and my body. Isn't that what a parent should want for their child?

And friends have no right to put you down for what you want for yourself...Last time I checked, dreads don't hurt anyone, so why does it matter? It's hair. We've all got ancestors that had dreadlocks their entire lives. When man and woman crawled out of the cave, no one was too concerned about hair because our ancestors were a bit more concerned about making fire, finding food, and running from things that wanted to eat them.

If someone tries to put you down for your choice, it's probably because that person doesn't understand dreadlocks. Humans try to hate things they don't understand.

Just know that you're beautiful with or without dreads, and that what makes YOU happy is what YOU should do. Eventually people will back off, or even come to love your new hair. If they don't...If someone really judges you over HAIR, then you should see that they're not really worth the worry. <3

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Julia Katherine Freitas
@julia-katherine-freitas
14 years ago
28 posts
AWWWWW I love you guys thanks so much for the support!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
love u tooo did u start yours yet?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
This Rules! :o) Other peoples negative opinions only matter if you allow them to.

tatyananashi said:
Happens all the time and still happens, eff em...
My dad recently said "I always try to be supportive but I know one day you'll regret doing that to your hair" and it made me laugh. First, my dad is the least supportive of me, because I don't need his support. He hates everything about my choices for appearance, domestic partner and religion, but in my parent's divorce I was the only daughter of his that didn't stop talking to him, and the only one who can get the others to talk to him. I have ALWAYS been there for him, and my mother, without sacrificing either. Parents are so immature.
Anyway all while he was saying this it was while he was going on a LONNNGGG rant about having regret and hating his life and how it didn't turn out the way he wanted it to. I was there to be a shoulder to cry on and to encourage him to not think it's too late to do everything he wanted still, it was really his mid life crisis breakdown I think. I just thought it was funny because firstly it's just hair, and believe it or not I can cut it off tomorrow and do something else if I want. That's the magic of hair. The next thing was that appearance is nothing, who cares. Fitting in didn't work, so I gave up on that when I was young, and I've always been the "weird" one... though I'm the most balanced of my family to say the least. The third thing that was so funny but absurd about it is that I've never been supported in my decisions. I don't give a shit about that, everyone thinks they know what's best for you but nobody does. Most people are going to tell you what they want without caring what you want, and most people will be against any change, especially if it's not a social norm. Older people are worse at it (I have friends almost my dad's age who bought me LOADS of conditioner, ya know, to help with my tangling problem) yet once it's said and done, they'll all admit that they might not have been right to begin with.

People always care a lot about appearance because that's all they have. I have young friends, my generation and some just slightly younger by a year or two, who always say (when they see an old picture or me incognito) "you look so pretty without your piercings/dreads". My partner always says, "and she looks even better with them!" and jokes he'd leave me if I took them out, and I always say "I'm more than just pretty". That's the problem though, most people aren't. Big tits, perfect nose, great hip to weight ratio, perfect straight pearly white teeth, supple lips, perfectly arched eyebrows, whatever: People always are so focused on looks because that's what matters to them, and the people who say I look better without are also the ones who know me the least, and are also people I am really not fond of due to their lack of personality or shallow attitudes. What bothers them most is that it doesn't bother me, so it's even more funny to watch when people realize that you don't give a shit about looks and you actually have substance: They melt like the wicked witch in the wizard of oz at the end.
so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
14 years ago
71 posts
When I came home from school on Friday for Thanksgiving break, my mom had nothing negative to say about my dreads (she didn't make a comment at all), and my dad told me he liked them as did my little brother! Just goes to show that some times people aren't so predictable, even though they often are... Just today my mom picked one of my dreads off my head that has a color changing bead in it and basically was like "oooooooo" hahahaahah and this probably isn't as meaningful to you as it should be since you don't know my family.. Just trust me when I say I can't believe nobody has said one bad thing to me about it.... I cried because my boyfriend said he would miss my hair being shiny and running his fingers through it.. but I'm over it, every time I look in the mirror I love my dreads more. (:
Julia Katherine Freitas
@julia-katherine-freitas
14 years ago
28 posts
Not yet I am still waiting on Sheena to get settled :D
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
lose your comb todaythere u started..no going back now

Julia Katherine Freitas said:
Not yet I am still waiting on Sheena to get settled :D