Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

the truth about crocheting dreadlocks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

and if hes messaging u saying it was over a diference of opnion its just his passive agressive way of trying to gain acceptence

just ignore him

he'll give up only when u refuse to feed the drama fix

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/10/15 08:32:30AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

yea woww is right

he just never knew when to stop

even afyetr i banned him he kept harrassing me i told him id block him to if i had to but didnt want to but he lkept on pushing till i hasd to

im surptised he lasted as long as he dud tho but i kept hoping hed give up the drama whoring or go away like he kept saying hed do..

but no he just kept feeding on drama as long as he could get some

luckily weve only had 2 ppl like him since the beginning

well now he can get his drama fix on youtube and wont be disturbing the harmony here no more

i never understood troll begavoir

its all about attention tho so..just ignore it and it will fade away

^*m*^ said:

wow

--
Rockerbaby
@rockerbaby
14 years ago
27 posts
Alright guys. I crocheted this set of dreadlocks in and I crocheted my last set as well. No, I didn't get rid of the last set due to damage/thinness, simply because I didn't like how poorly they had been sectioned.I personally believe that crocheting baby dreadlocks is perfectly acceptable IN MODERATION. SE, I've heard you say that because dreadlocks are solid that putting an object through them will break strands of hair - except that baby dreads are loose, you can generally stick your finger through them because they haven't actually locked up yet. So where's the harm pulling hair in? There isn't any.My last set I crocheted twice and didn't see any damage. In fact, after I combed them out I had the same amount of hair I had before I started. Yeah, it was rough feeling since I hadn't been using any conditioner, but there was absolutely no noticeable damage to my hair that I didn't have before I started them.I have seen people just stab the dread super fast with a crochet hook, and that can't be good for them, but done slowly and carefully all it does is tidy them up. Why is there so much hatred towards people who choose to make their hair neater? I also firmly believe that it gave my dreads a head start by making knots manually. Isn't that what dreads are? Long ropes of knotted hair?Crocheting lightly does no more damage than tnr or backcomb. Let's not forget that any knots in hair technically weaken the strands anyway, so bashing something for damage is a null point when a hair style based around knots causes damage by it's nature.I can understand that people don't agree with "insta-dreads" when so many people wait months to get to a point where their hair actually looks like dreads, but the method someone uses is a personal choice. There is no right or wrong way. It all creates knotty hair in the end, doesn't it?You say that pulling the hook through breaks hairs - I disagree. I think it simply moves them out of the way. Like a strand of hemp - if you push through the fibers, nothing breaks, things just move to make space. No matter how mature a dread is, there's still space in there - that space just becomes less as they get older, and a small enough crochet hook will find that space and fill it with the hair you bring in. And another thing - hair is naturally elastic. Biologically designed to resist damage. If it wasn't elastic, every time someone with loose hair combed out a knot all of the hair would break off, and obviously that doesn't happen.I certainly agree that you can crochet too much and make dreads too tight. No argument there. But occasional crocheting doesn't require "recovery". The way you pull the crochet hook out is a major factor. If you simply yank it out, obviously that will break a few hairs. But you DEFINITELY can maneuver the hook out of the dread without taking anything with it, I promise.Instead of using scare tactics (breaking hundreds of hairs? Really? I just counted the individual strands of loose hair at the bottom of my biggest dread and it was under 75 - and salons generally comment on how much hair I have.) maybe we need to inform those that crochet how to do it correctly. It's like teenagers and sex - they're going to do it anyway, so let's educate instead!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

you are wrong hair is not elastic and combing out knors does indedd break hairs have u never had to pill hairs out of a brush?

and there certainly is a recovery period of 6 months while they loosen up enough to be able to actually dread

like u said u crochetted both times so how would u know?

both your experiences were with crochet and i bet neigther time had they even recovered and began to dread

how old was 1st set when u took em out?

--
Rockerbaby
@rockerbaby
14 years ago
27 posts
Hair isn't elastic? http://fasthealthyhair.com/03-hair-elasticity-stretch-test.html http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100606192214AAqrRt5
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-57720.html

I've also had dreads before where I didn't crochet. I'm currently on my 4th set.

I would argue that most of the hair left in a hair brush is the hair that naturally falls out - you lose about 100 strands per day.
Rockerbaby
@rockerbaby
14 years ago
27 posts
The site won't let me edit, sorry for the double post.On the contrary- I have naturally curly and coarse hair that dreads very easily. In between crocheting I made HUGE progress, I used the hook to make things look a little tidier. I would even argue that I my hair was dreading less before I crocheted the first time and I think it made so much progress after because it had other knots to grab onto.I'm not at all arguing that over-crocheting isn't bad because it can be, all I'm saying is that there is a right way and a wrong way and we should be educating those who choose to use the technique instead of driving people away. Even if you don't mean to, this forum is very condescending towards people who choose not to go natural.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

no its not i mean we recomend twist and rip and twists quite often but crochet is never recomended for many reasons ofcourse its your hair your welcome to do it but we should never recomend it ever.. we should do all we can to educate and discourage its use but yea if they are insistant on using harmful method thenm by all means recomend ways to minimize the damage like doing it in a completely silent space so u can hear the hairs breaking

and actually last night i did stay up all night agonizing over if there was a way to actualy crochet without harm and i have a very anylitic mind and did decide there was a way to do it without breaking hairs but it would need to be done on straight combed hairs in a certain way that was incredibly slow and a form of weaving and then i realized that the only way to do it without harm the hook itself was pointless cause it could be done just as easily if not more easily with your fingers

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

the hundred strands u lose a day fall out ....when u brush out knots u can lose hundreds from just that knot thousands even

when u see a hair brush thats caked in hairs those are tens of thousands not hundreds and most of them come from breaking up tangles

thats why ppl get all diferent length split ends from combing

out of your 4 sets how long did each set last?

--
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts

Rockerbaby I <3 you for being articulate.

Juniper Howe
@juniper-howe
14 years ago
10 posts

Thank you Rockerbaby.I started my dreads with crochet.I've never waxed.I wash with homemade soap.I put nothing on them. I've been on this site for a bit now.I have to agree with you about the condescending attitude some take with any other method besides Neglect or TnR. I love my massively loopy dreads.I've not had a problem with them.I've encountered none of the problems like too tight or frizzy broken hairs that feel like barbed wire etc.So maybe there is a wrong and right way to crochet dreads.I have seen a video that shows the lady STABBING the hook in and out of the dread.Of course that is damaging.I'm a fiber artist.I took what I new about wool,spinning and crocheting and made my dreads.I did not stab the hell out of them.Instead I actually caught the outside hairs(just a few strands) of my lightly backcombed sections and truly crocheted a tube .This stabbing bullshit is NOT crochet.And I also agree that we should not condemn. We should educate.People should know the difference between crochet and whatever the hell that saltlady(?) was doing.

Take care- Juniper

/ 12

Dislike 2

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form