Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread wax why ya don't want it why ya don't need it and how to remove it

Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
generally speaking, he's right about backcombed locks, mine don't act like sticks save for a few that were pretty screwed up by waxing,
updated by @iain: 07/23/15 10:56:46AM
Amanda
@amanda
14 years ago
1 posts
Me too.I left my hair dread naturally, and it just wouldn't really stay.I began doing the backcombing, and it's worked for me wonderfully.I'll admit I did look pretty goofy the first couple days, I just wore a hat, I took that first shower and they looked wonderful.They've matured pretty well for only being two months. Iain said:
soaringeagle said:
look at any backcombed dreads in the 1st few days and tell me they dont look goofy

I liked em after I took my first shower,,, lol
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
that's good, i looked terrible the first 4,,,months, lol.but I had to stop making things more complicated than it should have been,if you like yours now, you will love them in the future :)
BossLadyJenee
@bossladyjenee
14 years ago
3 posts
mann =/ so it was absolutely necessary to cut some of em? D= Greg Slater said:
Er well SE asked me to post my experience with wax here so here you go, and I'll let you know how the dewaxing goes ha.

I've had my dreads for like three years now, originally backcombed and going on the advice of the guy who dreaded my hair, who'd had his for 6 years and another friend of mine I used wax consistently for at least 6 months and then every so often up until maybe last year when I realised how much damage it was actually doing. The wax in some of my dreads had hardened and become heavy enough to really weaken the roots. I've had to cut some of these heavier ends off and the insides are absolutely disgusting. It's almost rock solid in some places and although its obviously been able to dry properly and not moulded, the wax itself has just collected dirt and grime and just turned almost black and sealed up the centre of my hair.
I wish I hadn't used wax.
Don't use wax is my advice.
I'm gonna try ironing out as much of the wax as I can followed by a few baking soda washes and another iron and see how it stands. I'll probably split and end open again to see how it is and if it's improved enough I think I might try just leavin them to recover in a tam (if I can find a big enough one ha)...if not...I dunno.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
Iain said:
I had a bad wax experience to, just kinda stuck with it, and used alot of washing to help get rid of it, after about 3 months of having used the stuff, my dreads don't seem 2 have anything in them, in the future i might cut one of them 2 see if anything is in them, maybe wax or lint or w/e.
my dreads are fine to me right now tho. I still wished I hadn't used it tho,
Think it's funny I said that then, and noticed it oozing out of my locks months later when I tried stronger cleaning methods. let's see I wrote that Oct 31 of 09 and last time I used it was april of 09,,, jesus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
do u have hope of ever getting it all out? Iain said:
Iain said:
I had a bad wax experience to, just kinda stuck with it, and used alot of washing to help get rid of it, after about 3 months of having used the stuff, my dreads don't seem 2 have anything in them, in the future i might cut one of them 2 see if anything is in them, maybe wax or lint or w/e.
my dreads are fine to me right now tho. I still wished I hadn't used it tho,

Think it's funny I said that then, and noticed it oozing out of my locks months later when I tried stronger cleaning methods. let's see I wrote that Oct 31 of 09 and last time I used it was april of 09,,, jesus

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
to be honest, I don't know exactly, I have a few that were practically stick stiff, but feel softer after a few months of repeatably using different methods,I'll keep at it for awhile, I'm contemplating restarting in the future, but just not within a year.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
what methods did u find most effective Iain said:
to be honest, I don't know exactly, I have a few that were practically stick stiff, but feel softer after a few months of repeatably using different methods,
I'll keep at it for awhile, I'm contemplating restarting in the future, but just not within a year.

--
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
I didn't even notice the built up gunk in my hair until I switched from the dhhq soap I had been using for so long, I imagine the citric acid in it combined with tea tree/rosemary was what initially helped it get out, (this was when I first switched to the Dr Bronner peppermint liquid)about an hour after I had washed with hot water, I started playing, squeezing with one of the stick locks, and noticed this weird crap coming out of it, the more i squeezed/palm rolled I noticed it coming out pretty thick and this was when It hit pretty hard how much shit was in there, because it felt like It used to so long ago when I applied it to it initially.all I can say is it doesn't bother you till you literally see this yellowish gunk coming out of your hair that you think "Whoa WTH is That %&^*"seeing as how I have never put anything else hydrophobic, sticky, or any other abnormal substance in my hair I knew what was up. I immediately thought to myself to take a picture but I was at my cousins house,I washed my hair again the next day, this time my thickest two front locks, and in the body of the right one I could plainly get more of it out after washing my hair and palm rolling it to see if I could squeeze anything out, and of course, there was more of the same crap in this lock as well. same deal, I tried getting a picture, but the fact its right in front of my face and doesn't show up to well on camera doesn't really help, I did that a few times but haven't made a concentrated effort after that time.I'm hoping to slowly work more of it out in time. and I see a stronger improvement since that time.some people say it's just cause I used so much of it (which I did) but even if a large amount has that effect, a small amount would still be able to build up in a lock inside, especially if applied within the same day as any starter method when the hair is so loose.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
try all the methods and repeat several times beyond when u think u got it allyou;ll probly never get it all but the more u get out the better Peter Hollingshead said:
Hey, just so everyone knows, I used the iron method to get the wax outa my dreads. my assistant took about 4 dreads at a time at the same "latitude" on my scalp, stuck em on top two paper towels and under two more, then stuck the iron on top and held it there for... i don't know, about a minute? lots of pressure, plenty heat. the dreads totally flattened out and felt way waxy when before they weren't waxy at all (on the outside). so i palm rolled em while they were still hot and loads of wax came out on my hand while none was on the surface before. so i'm gonna repeat the process a few times in the coming months, because i know i just palm rolled some of that wax right back into the middle. good luck fellow dreadheads who got suckered in by the wax lie...

soaringeagle said:
just came across this
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/people-and-pets/people/how-to-remove...

Dread wax makes for quick dreads and is often encouraged by the companies that make it and discouraged by those experienced with dreadlocks. Essentially, there are two removal methods, either wash it out or melt it out. The process can be long and difficult, especially if there is a lot of wax in the dreads. Here are the recommended steps to remove the wax.
Washing Method
You Will Need:

* Apple cider vinegar
* Hot water
* Bee and Flower Chinese bar soap (available in many Chinatowns or online)
* Good bar soap (if Chinese soap is not available)
* ProSolv cleaner (available at Wal-Mart)

Steps to Remove the Wax:

1. There are several different steps you can take to wash out the wax, and the success will vary greatly depending on what type of wax was used. If beeswax was applied, such as Knotty Boy, it will take much more work to break it down for removal.
2. This process uses several different cleaning products, but always employs the help of hot water to soften the wax and make it easier to remove. Use the hottest water that you can stand without causing harm to yourself.
3. To complete the first approach, fill a sink or bowl with hot water.
4. Add apple cider vinegar to the water. The amount will depend on the amount of wax and the length of the dreadlocks.
5. Place the waxy dreads into the solution and allow it to soak for at least one-half hour.
6. Wash immediately with hot water and a high quality shampoo. It will be necessary to scrub the dreads to get the softened wax removed.
7. If beeswax was used, there is a Chinese bar soap available that can be used to remove it.
8. Again, apply the soap with hot water and scrub well to remove.
9. Repeat until all of the wax (or as much as possible) is removed.
10. A last resort cleaning product is ProSolv. This product will remove the wax, but will most likely cause damage to the hair as well. Apply it to the hair with hot water, scrub and rinse.

Iron Method
You Will Need:

* Cotton cloths
* Brown paper bags
* Iron
* Ironing board
* Partner to assist with the removal

Steps to Remove the Wax:

1. This method involves melting the wax out of the hair and should only be completed with the help of a friend while using great caution not to burn the scalp. If the dreads are short, do not attempt this method at all.
2. Have the person sit so that the dreadlocks can be draped over the ironing board.
3. Take a small section of the dreads and wrap a piece of brown paper around them.
4. Use a warm iron with NO steam and gently rub it over the paper. You will begin to see the wax transferring to the paper.
5. Repeat with a clean piece of paper until the wax is removed.
6. Continue with new sections of hair each time following the same steps above.
7. Use great caution not to allow the iron to become too hot or to get too close to the scalp as both can cause serious burns.

Additional Tips and Ideas

* Knotty Boy, the maker of many dreadlock products, also has a removal kit that can help remove wax and dreadlocks.
* If the wax cannot be removed, the dreads may need to be cut off.

--

/ 17

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form