Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread wax why ya don't want it why ya don't need it and how to remove it

Matthew Bromfield
@matthew-bromfield
14 years ago
2 posts

cheers gypsy, im going to get it done, i just need somebody that will do it, also what size dreads do you guys think look best/work better?

kaz (gypsy) donoghue said:

soaringeagle said:

well easy best way wash and wear dont brush or comb
just let it dread
second best way twist and rip

well u cant convince the ignorant but freinds if they are real openminded worthwhile freinds just educate them that your hair needs to be clean to dread and that dreads are the natural state of hair the way all hairs meant to be if your not constantly forcing it to not dread

Matthew Bromfield said:
Hey, im 17, male, from England, I have naturally curly hair but straighten it. I have always been facinated with the dreadlock style and im strongly considering getting it done, if waxing isnt the way then what should I be doing? (step by step) Also how can I persuade people that dreads are cool and not like the stereotypes suggest? (basically how did you inform your friends and family) cheers for any help your able to give =)
HEY LIVE UR LIFE 4 U WITHIN REASON OF CORSE ..FAMILY FRIENDS ..WHOM ARE REAL IN THE TRUEST ESSENCE WILL BE THERE RE HAIR NO HAIR OF DREADS...DO 4 U WHAT FEELS RIGHT.... CHEERS.GYPSY.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

let your hair decide the size dreads it wants to have just dont let any sections get over an inch (at the roots)

your hair will section itselof perfectly
Matthew Bromfield said:

cheers gypsy, im going to get it done, i just need somebody that will do it, also what size dreads do you guys think look best/work better?

kaz (gypsy) donoghue said:

soaringeagle said:

well easy best way wash and wear dont brush or comb
just let it dread
second best way twist and rip

well u cant convince the ignorant but freinds if they are real openminded worthwhile freinds just educate them that your hair needs to be clean to dread and that dreads are the natural state of hair the way all hairs meant to be if your not constantly forcing it to not dread

Matthew Bromfield said:
Hey, im 17, male, from England, I have naturally curly hair but straighten it. I have always been facinated with the dreadlock style and im strongly considering getting it done, if waxing isnt the way then what should I be doing? (step by step) Also how can I persuade people that dreads are cool and not like the stereotypes suggest? (basically how did you inform your friends and family) cheers for any help your able to give =)
HEY LIVE UR LIFE 4 U WITHIN REASON OF CORSE ..FAMILY FRIENDS ..WHOM ARE REAL IN THE TRUEST ESSENCE WILL BE THERE RE HAIR NO HAIR OF DREADS...DO 4 U WHAT FEELS RIGHT.... CHEERS.GYPSY.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❀.Zombeth.☮)O(
@zombetho
13 years ago
42 posts

I would NEVER ever ever ever use beeswax!! The first few weeks before I started my dreads I did a lot of research of what products are okay for dreads and what are not.. First thing I read was "Beeswax attracts dirt and bugs" I was like... uhhh noooo way will I use that stuff!

I found some organic lock and twist gel at walmart it smells like coconuts lol.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Root-Stimulator-Organic-Lock-Twist-Hair-Gel-13-fl-oz/10453162

What is your opinion about the product?
(I rarely use it)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
if your black and iuse it as a moisturizer fine if your not black id neever ever touch it

Beth Speakman said:

I would NEVER ever ever ever use beeswax!! The first few weeks before I started my dreads I did a lot of research of what products are okay for dreads and what are not.. First thing I read was "Beeswax attracts dirt and bugs" I was like... uhhh noooo way will I use that stuff!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Root-Stimulator-Organic-Lock-Twist-Hair-G...

(I rarely use it)

--
❀.Zombeth.☮)O(
@zombetho
13 years ago
42 posts
Oh I was just wondering lol. I have only used it like two times, it didn't really seem to do anything for them but make my hair feel slightly stiff, like actual styling gel :/So I stopped using any products like that

soaringeagle said:
if your black and iuse it as a moisturizer fine if your not black id neever ever touch it

Beth Speakman said:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Root-Stimulator-Organic-Lock-Twist-Hair-G...

(I rarely use it)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
the thing is it does not help em dread in the begining it prevents them from dreading it does absolutely nothing good only harm

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

he also admits that wax will prevent any knotting so the original backcomb knots are the only knors you will ever have then those are just compressed into wax that gets hard and makes you think they are mature faster... he admits that no knotting can happen when hairs stuck in wax.. what more proof do you need when the wax maker says wax prevents dreading?

Knottysleeves said:

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their hair, but really, the whole wax pitch is completely illogical when you look past the marketing hype and think about what's in it. DHHQ goes on and on about how any sort if residue will prevent your hair from dreading (so you need to buy his overpriced no-residue shampoo, rather than using Dr Bronners or any other kind of oil-based soap)... but then says that waxy residue will magically help your hair dread? Wax is nothing more than soft waxes and oils, all of which leave a thick coating of residue on your hairs.

So oil residue from soap = bad, but oil residue from wax = good? It makes ZERO sense.

Even Johnny Clean himself grudgingly admits that wax residues cannot be removed without significant effort. And no, simply rinsing with hot water or baking soda will not cut it... whereas soap residues CAN be removed with a baking soda wash or soak. That tells you how sticky & resistant the wax really is. Even if you truly believe that it can "help" hair to dread, considering how hard it is to remove it and the fact that all hair types will dread up just fine without it, why even bother taking the chance?

--
Papaver Somniferum
@papaver-somniferum
13 years ago
4 posts
It totally sucks that those big dread product companies get away with lying to millions of people. I mean, I started with honey cause I couldn't even afford the wax, I only did the honey once and it was bad. I'm glad I washed it out like a day after. Then I bought the wax because marketing made me feel like I had to, I applied only a few times (Not enough to have waxy pillows or clothes, thank god) but I literally thought that was the only way I could get dreads. I've had my dreads for a little over a year and a half. I used gel in June 2010, but that is the last product I will put in my hair thanks to this site. The homemade rinse made a huge difference for me and I just mixed up a batch for my friend who recently put wax in her hair. It really is better to let them do there thing and just keep them clean.
kaz jewell taylor
@kaz-jewell-taylor
13 years ago
8 posts
on ya girl...yes this site is fantastic ....cuts throught the crap....dreds are all about being natura...chemicals....arnt ..its just money hungrt dills who have no respect for doing right by their customers ....spread the word.peace.
updated by @kaz-jewell-taylor: 07/23/15 11:28:11AM
erin.
@erin
13 years ago
7 posts

That makes no sense how he claims wax doesn't make your pillow sticky or stained! It totally does! I had to sleep with another pillowcase over my head BECAUSE of the stickyness and the mess. How do they get away with bogus like that?

I'm pretty sure I have some wax buildup in the base of my dreads (the tips are wispy, not rounded) but the rest of my dreads are wax-free. I only used a little bit in the very first stages (thank God); I'm finding some really helpful and surprising stuff on this website. I had KnottyBoy and a loctician assure me that wax was the way to go when I was putting mine in 5 years ago.

/ 17

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form