Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Fae's twist and rip adventure! 2 years, 8 months! Small update pg 3 (pics also added to pg1)

Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts

I've done this on another forum, and decided to do so here as well. I'll warn you, this is moderately picture heavy, and full of craziness. Also, a number of the pictures were taken from various sources (or with crappy webcams) so they will vary a bit in size and quality.

Without further hesitation, here is my timeline.

Pre-Dreads (not right before, but you get the point):
Photobucket

Right after the t&r:
Photobucket
2 weeks:
Photobucket
1 month:
Photobucket

2 months:
Photobucket

3 months (with blue wraps!):
Photobucket

4 months (and a shot of the back of my head at the time):
Photobucket
[IMG] http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k107/BeausSleepingBeauty/Dread%20timeline/bakcofmyhead4months.jpg [/IMG]

5 months:
Photobucket

Almost 6 months:
almost 6 months, no tam

6.5 months :
6.5 months 2.26.10
back of my head 6.5 months 2.26.10

7 months:
7 months of dready goodness

7.5 months:
Photobucket
Photobucket

9 months (acrylic rainbow wraps were added to break up the monotony. Pictures also include one of my favorite tams!):
rainbowtam9months
fromfront9months
dreadsfromback9months

A more clear picture from 9 months:
9 months

11 Months pulled up, and 11 months when left down (feel free to marvel at that gorgeous piece of labradorite in my ears xP):
11 months pulled up
Right before 11 months

Pictures taken on 8/13/10, they've finally hit a year old! Happy birthday dreads! Just dyed with brown black, so they're hard to see; I'm hoping that when the dye fades it'll be closer to my natural hair color (as close as one can get with a boxed dye) and won't be so awkward and obvious. I adore the red, but the upkeep is just too much! Anyhow, here are a few pictures! I'll try and take a few more in better lighting next time...

1yr old dreads, recently dyed brown black 8/13/10

1yr old dreads, recently dyed brown black 8/13/10

13.5 months! I hope you guys can see some change, as these past few months have felt really discouraging for me... I don't feel like I'm seeing much if any progress. Then again, somehow I had it in my mind that when 1 year hits your dreads become miraculously epic... and that's not what's happened. Kind of a 'can't see the forest for the trees' sort of thing... Oh well, enjoy!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Still hoping for a bit of length here before too long... this short hair thing is killing me!

2 years, 8 months: THEY'RE GROWING!!! :D

This is a shot of them from the back...

^ And this is what they look like when I'm holding them back with my crocheted headband/panta thingy.

Thanks for viewing! Comments and feedback are always appreciated!

updated by @faelwynn: 02/03/18 04:14:59PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
monotomy? theres a party on your head and everyones dancing nakedwow they really went wild around 6 months huh awesomeand i looove that tamyour so pretty faefaelovin u

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
I love them!we had alot of similiar bumps an stuff, they really start coming together by 9ish months, and your wraps are great to :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ive had embridery thread wraps and hemp hemp lasts years longer then anything elseif u do a wrap dont do the simple wraps they unravel instead do the fancier knotted kinds instead of a month they'll last years

--
Cavewoman
@cavewoman
14 years ago
165 posts
I love this, it gives almost like a frame of referance for how tnr mature. And I think they came out really nice =] this is perfect since I've been considering doing this. Did you dread tham all yourself?
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I did, my entire head took only a few hours total. Cavewoman said:
I love this, it gives almost like a frame of referance for how tnr mature. And I think they came out really nice =] this is perfect since I've been considering doing this. Did you dread tham all yourself?
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I've used both wool and acrylic thread. The wool (which is what the blue string is in month 3) was very quickly eaten by my dreads, and so couldn't stay in as long. The rainbow thread is acrylic, Red Heart's Fiesta color print. It's one of my favorite accent yarns, and since it's acrylic, it hardly ever tries to merge with my dreads. I usually get bored with wraps pretty quickly though, my last set was only in for a few days before I took them out again. Lisa McRae said:
I love how they've come together, and love how you decorated them! beautiful!
What are your wraps? I was thinking of using hemp, but would like to know what worked for others. Thanks for sharing :)
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
More or less. My hair is actually slightly curly, but when it's long it stays mostly straight with a little wave. I was obsessive about keeping my hair absolutely perfect (no heat styling, always washed/rinsed with cold water for shine and health, dyeing only every few months with more natural dyes, and always conditioned to silky perfection) before dreading, but even so California was/is soo drying that my ends were splitting and breaking off (never had that problem before Cali). I figured that dreading my hair was just one more thing that I could do to keep it healthy...plus, I've always wanted to have hair long enough to cover my breasts when nude, and dreads seem to be the perfect way to achieve that. Sure, I had other reasons for dreading, but those are the aesthetic ones. Sister Rags said:
Wonderful, Faelwynn! It looks like your hair is pretty straight, right - people who come on here and ask if straight hair will dread just need to see your pics.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
haha i love that 1 of your reasons for dreading was how they'd look when nude..lollove ya fae hope u do more updates soon

--
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
It may be. It's also pretty arid around here... my first month here, I had continuous nose bleeds. Remember though, I'm from northern Alabama, lived there 18 years... so anything below 70-90% humidity seems dry to me.The hard water is incredibly harsh though... It put me on no-speaking terms with Dr. Bronner's in regards to my hair. Only upside is that the hard water is awesome for keeping African cichlids...not so great on hair however. Sister Rags said:
Wow, they're looking stunning! Thanks so much for the pics & explanations.

Interesting that you said Calif dries your hair, causes split ends, etc. You're in SoCal, right? I'm up in NorCal. What do you think causes the dryness? You folks have such vicious hard water down south, is that it?

updated by @faelwynn: 07/22/15 07:43:48AM
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form