Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Has having dreads changed your life too?

Amber-Dawn Andersen
@amber-dawn-andersen
15 years ago
14 posts
So, I took 20 some years to finally "do" my dreads, I am very happy with my decision, I wouldn't live the rest of my life without them now, they are a part of who I am!Now after just three short months, I notice things that I never did before... I am less tolerant of certain attitudes, more apt to care for those without someone to care for them, I am quieter and more to the point. I feel the eyes of strangers looking at me when I walk in somewhere and I realize that I am "different", I guess always knew I was, but now so does every one else! These, of course, are just a few of the changes I have noticed in myself. I was wondering how life has changed for some of you? Do you notice changes in the way you think, behave, see others? Has anyone in your life begun to treat you any different? Do you treat anyone any different? Just wondering.....
updated by @amber-dawn-andersen: 02/14/15 10:14:12AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
without going into details i'll just say yes...drasticlty

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
15 years ago
155 posts
I like these questions, it brings up alot of other questions. It's odd to think that some one would be so changed by a hairstyle/lifestyle. It's kind of like if you cut your dreads your still the same person, but you would be left with all these thoughts of how people used to percieve you and treat you differently cause you are considered a "regular haired proper person".But they have changed my life like you said ,to strangers I'm a even weirder stranger. A few people treat me differently but I'd like to think that would of just happened any way since friends grow up and have priorities, and it's all just a growing up and I always be growing in some way. I drank a lil
Amber-Dawn Andersen
@amber-dawn-andersen
15 years ago
14 posts
I guess maybe it is more a change within myself. I feel more confident, more self reliant due to the fact that I now know, I stand alone. How much that really has to do with my hair style parse, I do not know. I am sure that the feelings of confidence give me strength, and if in my hair that was born, than to my hair, I am grateful! GratefulNick said:
I like these questions, it brings up alot of other questions. It's odd to think that some one would be so changed by a hairstyle/lifestyle. It's kind of like if you cut your dreads your still the same person, but you would be left with all these thoughts of how people used to percieve you and treat you differently cause you are considered a "regular haired proper person".
But they have changed my life like you said ,to strangers I'm a even weirder stranger. A few people treat me differently but I'd like to think that would of just happened any way since friends grow up and have priorities, and it's all just a growing up and I always be growing in some way. I drank a lil
Emily
@emily
15 years ago
203 posts
yes, they definately changed my life too for the better all the way.they set me free :D i feel like i can finally just be myself and if anyone doesnt like it then too bad lol
Amber-Dawn Andersen
@amber-dawn-andersen
15 years ago
14 posts
Right on! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout :) dreadyEm said:
yes, they definately changed my life too for the better all the way.
they set me free :D i feel like i can finally just be myself and if anyone doesnt like it then too bad lol
justn
@justn
15 years ago
3 posts
i agree with all, and i might add thata) i can now easily get away with never wearing deodorant [unnatural, unnecessary, and b.o. is ironically supposed to be one hell of an aphrodisiac.. imagine that]. people just expect it, they expect me to be some crazy hippie who wouldnt deodorize; i guess i kinda am :D i mean i could drop acid before grocery shopping and my state of mind would most likely not surprise very many. but of course i'd never go grocery shopping on lsd, yikes. bahab) the level of expectation i have from strangers, employers, sometimes even friends, and sometimes even FAMILY has definitely dropped due to the raaaaadical dreadlock hairstyle. this has actually worked to my advantage - i walk into an interview and initially the employer thinks 'uh oh.. he's either nuts or incompetent.' so long as i can prove myself to be a decently intelligent individual they're immediately impressed, i've already exceeded their expectations!i love my dreads. always did. once and awhile i have dreams of them being cut off.. i always wake up panting with my hands on my head, followed by a sigh of relief when i find they're still up there.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
hahaha i swore off deoderant ayt 15 (vegatarians dont need it anyway) and underwear at the same time..also..umbrellas tooi think i surprise ppl when i can have a conversation without drifyting off into mysticism justn said:
i agree with all, and i might add that

a) i can now easily get away with never wearing deodorant [unnatural, unnecessary, and b.o. is ironically supposed to be one hell of an aphrodisiac.. imagine that]. people just expect it, they expect me to be some crazy hippie who wouldnt deodorize; i guess i kinda am :D i mean i could drop acid before grocery shopping and my state of mind would most likely not surprise very many. but of course i'd never go grocery shopping on lsd, yikes. baha

b) the level of expectation i have from strangers, employers, sometimes even friends, and sometimes even FAMILY has definitely dropped due to the raaaaadical dreadlock hairstyle. this has actually worked to my advantage - i walk into an interview and initially the employer thinks 'uh oh.. he's either nuts or incompetent.' so long as i can prove myself to be a decently intelligent individual they're immediately impressed, i've already exceeded their expectations!

i love my dreads. always did. once and awhile i have dreams of them being cut off.. i always wake up panting with my hands on my head, followed by a sigh of relief when i find they're still up there.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Amber-Dawn Andersen
@amber-dawn-andersen
15 years ago
14 posts
So I have to tell you about something that happened to me the other day, i thought was kind of humorous... I'm walking through the store, this young guy comes right up in my face and says, " i love your dreads"! Then he just stood there, staring at me for what seemed like 30 mins!!! I'm not sure what he expected as a response from me, but all I could seem to say was "thanks", and I moved very slowly out the opposite side of our isle.... I find peoples response to my hair pretty amusing, most of the time, but some times, it can be a bit WEIRD! I too love my dreads, and seriously, I can't even picture myself without them anymore! I love the free and easy life they allow me, I love being able to just get up and go!!!And you know, I love letting people expect a little less from me, then they are always amazed by anything half assed intelligent I have to say!LOL soaringeagle said:
hahaha i swore off deoderant ayt 15 (vegatarians dont need it anyway) and underwear at the same time..also..umbrellas too
i think i surprise ppl when i can have a conversation without drifyting off into mysticism

justn said:
i agree with all, and i might add that

a) i can now easily get away with never wearing deodorant [unnatural, unnecessary, and b.o. is ironically supposed to be one hell of an aphrodisiac.. imagine that]. people just expect it, they expect me to be some crazy hippie who wouldnt deodorize; i guess i kinda am :D i mean i could drop acid before grocery shopping and my state of mind would most likely not surprise very many. but of course i'd never go grocery shopping on lsd, yikes. baha

b) the level of expectation i have from strangers, employers, sometimes even friends, and sometimes even FAMILY has definitely dropped due to the raaaaadical dreadlock hairstyle. this has actually worked to my advantage - i walk into an interview and initially the employer thinks 'uh oh.. he's either nuts or incompetent.' so long as i can prove myself to be a decently intelligent individual they're immediately impressed, i've already exceeded their expectations!

i love my dreads. always did. once and awhile i have dreams of them being cut off.. i always wake up panting with my hands on my head, followed by a sigh of relief when i find they're still up there.
Dustan Snow
@dustan-snow
15 years ago
8 posts
Yes big time. I actually feel like me with dreads
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form