Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baby locks and some unexpected anxiety.

Lotus
@lotus
11 years ago
2 posts

Evening all. I've been lurking around for a while and finally joined the site a couple of days ago. A friend dreaded my hair for me a little over a week ago using the twist and rip method. My hair is short, fine, and fairly straight, but tangles on it's own after a day or two without brushing. I don't know why, but I was convinced that there was no way my hair would lock on it's own (now I know that it probably would have eventually) and did TnR. Some of the locks of shorter hair come undone and get frustrated. A couple of my dreads fly out and do their own thing, which doesn't bother me so much, but when other people stare at me or my boyfriend tells me that I need to wear a hat (he isn't being rude - he has dreads as well and told me that wearing a hat or bandanna will help them settle down since my hair is so short) I get very self conscious. I love the way my hair looks...or I guess the way it makes me feel, really. I just wish everyone else felt the same way about it. Silly, right? This will definitely be an experience in letting go, for me. I didn't know what I was getting into when I decided to dread my hair. It's only been a week an it's already been pretty intense. I guess I'm just looking for some support. I feel like I'm doing the right thing, but I don't get a whole lotta love for it from people around here. I'm so thankful that this site exists. Whenever I'm feelingostracized by my family, co-workers, whoever...I come on here and I immediately feel like I'm not crazy for doing what I'm doing.

updated by @lotus: 01/13/15 09:51:46PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

that's what we are here for, Most of us have been through the same journey, the messy, crazy, wild journey. Sure, people can get instant dreads, but they are not real dreads, they have not slowly matured, locking in the natural way. Growing dreads grows the soul within us. It really does happen. There is no getting out of messy hair for awhile, just part of the process. Yours will loosen, some fall out as you have noticed, but they need to do this so they can loop and zig zag and shrink. It is amazing to see how it happens.

Covering your hair will not make it dread faster. Washing 2-3 times a week does, the wind does, tossing around the pillow at night does, and sea salt sprays accelerates it.

When you are going out and feel self conscious, just wear a loose tam. Don't knit? Ask an elderly lady neighbour, supply the wool and take her a box of cookies and box of tea, it would give her old fingers something to do, it is actually good for the fingers to move, that is why most of them knit! And to see the smile on your face would please her plenty.

You are doing the right thing for you, who cares what others say. When your dreads are two years old, all, yes all of the UN-supportive people will say DAMN, your dreads are beautiful.

You are not crazy, you are growing from within.....Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

gatheres everyone around to surprise ypu with a massive

group hug!

your hair was trying to dread every single day and would dread fast as hel; if left alone

hats will slow the process

abd everyone who force starts dreds deals with anxierty early on

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

updated by @the-barrellady: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Lotus
@lotus
11 years ago
2 posts

All I can say is thank you. :) Feeling a lot more calm and confident today.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form