Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Urgent problem.

Keenan Alexander
@keenan-alexander
11 years ago
9 posts
Hey, so i dont know how serious this is but my dreads are 2 months old, they were looped by a jamaican lady and my hair is very curly, i am a mixed/ coloured south african and australianThe root of a lock that is part of my fringe has loosened up and currently looks like two little tubes that join into a dreadlock. This is only happening with one dread and im pretty concerned because when i attempt to loop it through it hurts my scalp and the 'tubes' of the dread curl up and the dread sits curled up trying to get out of where i loop it. Does anyone know the severity of leaving it and attempting to let it fix itself or how i can get it back to normal. I have a photo of it if needed better description. Please leave suggestions, thanks
updated by @keenan-alexander: 02/15/15 12:49:35AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

1st ogff your screwing youjrself with crochert and lettokmg ladies do thing to you salons are the biggest mistake u can n-=make u got to throw the b=needle away and stop messing wigh your dreads enr-tirely

now what she did is interlockking crochet and interlocking are the 2 worse things u can do (except felting) after a couple days its too late ti undo the interlocking

if u cab flip it back througy the way it can[me to undoit u should as long as it does no more g0-harm

u never ever ever want to do anything to fiorce tighten roots

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wow worse typibng ever ..im sick and my etyes messed up so trying to type (and read) with 1 blurry eye

--
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Keenan. It hurts your scalpwhen You attempt to loop it through itself because you should not be doing it. The tension causes hairs to pull out, leading to thin dreads and balding. Looping dreads also pulls out hairs, so you should not do that either. I know that you get a good look right away, but damage gets done. Your type of hair, curly, is the quickest type not naturally dread. Roots need to be loose in order for the dread to move, so that is okay. Wax to form dreads is not recommended if she used any, wax holds in smells, lint and water inside the dread. It also stains pillow cases and shoulders of clothing. All you need to do now is let them be to do their own thing, separate if any try to join together, and remove wax if any was used. Have worry free hair and enjoy your journey

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

/post the photo but why were you gouing to a ladt=y when they are just 2 momths old

2 months theyt should be at their looest and messiest an..they need to be loose and messy

what she did is incredibly stupid irt severely compromises the dread and if u keep doing it will cause dread loss and balding

my presciption

cut off your handds..throw away all yoiur money go live inthe woods stop messing with your hair just leave it alone let it dreads

stop trying to force what happens all on its own

--
Keenan Alexander
@keenan-alexander
11 years ago
9 posts
Dude i said my dreads ARE two months old. She started them. Her locks were done the same way as were several other people in the salon. I understand the method, but i disagree with you because all my other dreads are thick and have plenty or normal regrowth which i havent touched nor plan on retwisting or looping. I crochet rarely just to pull in longer hairs that come out through sleeping and washing. As far as i know, there is nothing overly bad that has been done to my dreads, which is obvious because two months in im happy with the result already and this is my only problem. Thanks to both of you for the replies, but do you have any advice on how to fix it (if that is leaving it be). Also i did tell her off for it but she used an ointment to palmroll them after she backcombed. I havent used anything besides dr. bronners and saltwater since. Cheers.
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

You can wrap that dread in the area that separates, then they will join back together for you, other than that,all I know is that time will fix it. Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well the crochert causes broken hairs wich oi[op out si u crochet again and again it absolutely destrot=ys then[m

the interlockimg ids horific ill post a vif of what it will do long term

the thing is it has v=caused severe harm wether its visible or not thos 1 is visable therest arent ..but might be someday

u shouldnt be doing anh-=ything to them.. not palm rolling not crocheting and especialy nothing to the roots like loopping

now each dread will have a permenrant weak spot where the interlock was done

its a snap point.. no elasticity soit its yanked on it snaps rthere instead of absorbing shock

so ..like i saifd itf it was just done in the last 2 dqys y0try to undo every single 1..carefully u dont want to cause more harm

if u cant see where the looping went through to pull it back out then leave it alone

the 1 splitting if the interlocking cant be undone wrap it (no rubber bands hemop or embrouidery thread) or put a bead over it to help iyt fuse

dreads split at the roots from forced sectioning too often ..they want to revery to natural sectiions so tey to split

salons really are the worse mistake u can make

ok 1 srec ill get the vid

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ok watch this this was caused by twistuing but u=interlolcking causes the same ikssues but is far wik=orse

note; the history of interlocking;

i 1st heard of it bout 8 years afgo but it was called root flipping and everyone knew it caused dreads to break off

so salond=s didnt stop doing it they just changed the name to interlocking

now that interlockings wellknown to screw up dreads they started calking it looping or rooting

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

for comparison

healthy natural dreadss that have never has a thing done to them

--
 / 3

Dislike 0