Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dying my dreads

ivette fernandez
@ivette-fernandez
12 years ago
4 posts

Hello all....my name is Ivette. I've been lurking on here for a couple weeks now and figured it's time to participate =) I started my journey on the 4th of this month. I only have half my head done to this point....i do a few every day, i tried having friends help but have learned if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. I want to start of by saying this site is incredble!! I have learned so, so much from everyone here and I owe you all a big thanx!! I started researching the dreading process about 2 months ago and almost fell into the trap of waxing, lock peppa and so forth. (thank god i'm to cheap and prefer to do things my self) Everyone I spoke to wanted me to go to a salon, or buy wax etc.etc. I did however almost fall into the crochet hook trap as well....(i only did it with one dread). Anyway, I just wanted to ask if I should wait to dye my hair and if so for how long? I'm 37 years young and being a mother of 2 (1 of which is an 18 year old!! teenagers....I thought I was still one!!) my hair has turned quite grey and needless to say I'm not down with it AT ALL!! Any advice/answers would be greatly appreciated.

updated by @ivette-fernandez: 01/13/15 09:24:03PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

my beard turned grey younger then you i just let it every grey hairs a sign of experience something to be proud of

in dreads the grey unless its alot of grey kindas blends in till the whole dreads mostly grey so if its not to that point id leave it

dying can have its risks tho henna is saftest option u might still get loosening

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ivette fernandez
@ivette-fernandez
12 years ago
4 posts

Well let's put it this way....i didn't notice how grey I truly was until i started the dreads ( I never really did my hair...just either threw it up or left it down....I hate the bother) I have, however, always kept it dyed (black). so I'm kind of worried about the natural color, the grey, the black yadda yadda yadda....can you say multi-colored baby dread mess.....lol

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

If you usually dye your hair black, look into henna and indigo. Indigo is the one you really want but indigo is also the one that you cannot go back from so black better be what you want!

Ixchel has experience mixing henna and indigo to make darker red so she might have some advice. I've only used Henna but I love having red hair so that works well for me.

Henna can be conditioning but it can also be very drying. It's weird. I was mudding up my head with henna maybe 1 or two weeks after TnRing my head. I don't know how indigo is though.

I'm waiting for my greys (silvers actually) to explode more before I let them grow out naturally. Right now I only have a handful. I do a status check before I dye my hair each time. I'm always disappointed that their aren't more silver hairs. I'm a weirdo.

A good site for Henna and Indigo info is www.hennaforhair.com if you are interested.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

my mom got her 1st grey hair at 16

that was the last time she had natural colored hair and dyed it every few weeks since then (and has lied about her age since 30 i still have no idea how old she really is) i dont gt the point in that

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ivette fernandez
@ivette-fernandez
12 years ago
4 posts

Awesome....Thank you so much...I have.been dying my hair black since I'm 19 (thats 18 years now....I KNOW commitment =) lol)! I am doing TnR also....I tried going all natural but my hair is so fine I just had one HUGE dread in the back of my head. Not quite the look I was going for. So I will definitely look into the indigo.

ivette fernandez
@ivette-fernandez
12 years ago
4 posts

The grey starts young in my family! I still look (and feel)likeI'm in my early 20's.....I know, I know I'm in denial but what can I say? I love my long black hair and can't wait to finish my dreading process so I can love my long black dreads =)

soaring eagle said:

that was the last time she had natural colored hair and dyed it every few weeks since then (and has lied about her age since 30 i still have no idea how old she really is) i dont gt the point in that

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

I don't understand the whole hiding your age thing. Seems silly.

Ever since I was little I've been excited about becoming a wise old crone with long grey hair. My aunt and mom have been greying for years. If my aunt is any indication I only have about 10-15 more years until I'm fully silvered.

I've just always hated my natural hair colour. Always wanted to be a redhead like my paternal family members. I even have the "ginger" skin tone! So as long as most of my hair is naturally brown I will be dying it red. But as soon as the majority is silver I am done with henna. It's going to be awesome!

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Hey, as long as you love your hair that's all that matters. And age is just a number. That's why I don't understand hiding it. I've known crotchety old 20-somethings and vibrant, youthful 70-somethings. The number doesn't matter. Just what's inside.

ivette fernandez said:

The grey starts young in my family! I still look (and feel)likeI'm in my early 20's.....I know, I know I'm in denial but what can I say? I love my long black hair and can't wait to finish my dreading process so I can love my long black dreads =)

soaring eagle said:

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I am 50 years old and will embrace a full head of grey dreadlocks when that time comes. I think they will look downright sexy.... Strands are coming in now and I say welcome. I don't need to look younger by colouring them, my youngness is how I feel inside. I am comfortable with my age & very comfortable with the colour grey. Peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form