tell her how great locticians are

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/09/15 10:45:18PM
Joe Shmoe
@joe-shmoe
13 years ago
15 posts

ok, the examples you gave will def do damage to your hair but not all locticians use those techniques. the only point i can dispute from personal experience is the washing for months. When i first started my locs and they were still twists i didn't wash my hair for a few months b/c if i did so the twists would've lost their form and unraveled.

although i could be wrong i think most of those techniques you point out are used on 100% caucasian hair in an attempt to get them to dread. i am 1/2 afro-amer + 1/2 sicilian and when i got my hair done @ the salon for the 1st time they washed, twisted+put them in clips, then i sat under the hair dryer. I got my hair done @ the salon 2x when i first started them, then i started doing them myself using the same techniques (b/c i couldn't afford regular salon visits).

and yes i usually do my hair 1x a week, and have been for almost 10 years now. i am not going bald and i have *never had a loc fall out. i wash w/ shampoo, twist w/ gel, then blowdry them. i have been told many times by people that my locs are some of the nicest they've seen; seeing as i do the same process that was done by the loctician i think that def qualifies as 1 thing they did right.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

wrong wrong wrong

wasghing helps dreads dread

not wasshing for months is gross

carking them in gel and not washing is extra gross

caking them in gell and not washing for months keeps them in twists..which are not dreads and makes it take extra long to dread

twisting is stupid your forcing exctreme tightness on the scalp

this weakens the roots causes them to break and causes scalp trauma which sdoes cause baldness

out of all the ppl who twists ..and they twisted 1 time every 3 months or every 6 months) almost every 1 of them experienced thining at the roots

i wouls love to see youe roots cause if yours havent thined after twisting weekly its a miracle and tour 1 out off a thousand that got lucky so yea its wrong

and the fact that u got lucky u should concider a miracle

but the luck will run ouit so u should absolutely stop that

and no those tecniques like twisting and interlocking are used on african hair and are very very bad but are used on caucasian hair by saons that are truly clueless way too often with disasterouse results

the only way that i can see that u havent destroye your dreads and scalp is if u didnt twist tight at all

but should u keep twisting? hell no

its poinbtless and harmful

u do realize that dreads dread themselkves right? that u never needed a salon u never needd to twist or gel or any of that crap?

--
Joe Shmoe
@joe-shmoe
13 years ago
15 posts
washing may promotoe dreads but if you want neat and uniform dreads you should not wash them for @ least 2 months unless you're going to re-twist after washing. washing the twists makes most of them lose their form and you are left w/ a tangled afro (for people w/ some kink to their hair anyway). then you have to spend time separating and try to figure out what hair went to which twists, etc. btw, although you don't wash the twists, you do use scalp cleaner/conditioner so it's not all that gross.twisting is not stupid; it promotes locs (for blk hair anyway. the twists will eventually dread. the examples you gave of twisting gone bad sounds like they twisted waaay to hard. you don't have to put extreme pressure on the scalp. i'll have to take a pic of my roots so you can see..........i will always twist my hair until the day i decide to shave my head (and that's not happening any time soon). if you want your locs to look uniform and well maintained twisting is the way to go.i do realize that dreads dread themselves but in my personal opinion they look like crap unless you're doing something to them. to each his/her own tho....
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

actualy the oposites true they look like crap idf u do

and you are so clueless dude'

you were lied to u were scammed and u have no idea what your talking about

not washing for months is gross

when u wash they loosen uo p because thats what they neede to do to dread u only twist them 1 time only then let them dread

twisting doesnt promote locks it promotes balding

and dread loss

stop it for 6 months and u will see as they recover

theyte your dreads to treat right or abuse

but your a fool if u keep on twisting

--
Joe Shmoe
@joe-shmoe
13 years ago
15 posts

lol like i said, to each his own...if you're ok w/ the new growth looking loose and having a bunch of hair that is not locked then go the natural route of doing nothing.

not washing for a couple months (unless you plan on re-twisting them after) maybe gross but it is necessary. and no one lied to me, i know from personal experience. when first starting locs the scrubbing action from washing completely took the form out of the twists.

twisting most certainly promotes dread growth (@least for my hair it does). in between the times i use the gel i just do a quick dry twist and it def helps.

if i didn't twist my hair for 6 months it would look horrible. i'd prob have about 5 inches of new growth in the form of a tangled afro followed by nice dreads. not a good look.

Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

To be honest going to the loctician seriously adds up. The last visit I became pissed that I spent that much money for something I could have done. I'm better off using my own ingredients and save a ton of money in the long run. To each their own, but remember that african hair and caucasian hair lock differently before you yield advice.

Joe Shmoe
@joe-shmoe
13 years ago
15 posts

the high cost is exactly why i started doing my hair myself.

great point that afro and caucasian hair locks differently. that's what i think soaring eagle is forgetting. maybe the natural route is the best way to go for 100% caucasian hair but twisting is best for hair that has a lil kink to it; like i said i am 1/2 blk and 1/2 wht.....

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

you are so waqrong again if u diod not twuist u get 1/2 inch undreaded hair 1/2 inch only and that is normal and healthy

maybe the 1st 6-8 months u might have 2-3 inches as it dreads but then it dreads and matures and tighrens and stops at 1/2 inch

u need that 1/2 inch for normal dreading to occur

seriusly try it and see

you will be surprised

and you are sooo cliueless cause african hair dreads easier tighteer and shorter

the exact oposite

african hair loooooves to be left alone

and again tyour wrong abvoput not washing if u wash u have it dread way faster its after every wazsh hat its the most tangles and tightens

the more u wash the faster it dreads

--
Joe Shmoe
@joe-shmoe
13 years ago
15 posts
Like I said im mixed, therefore leaving it alone will not give me the results I am looking for. you obviously have some knowledge about dreads but I think it is mostly limited to caucasian hair. If u took a look @ my pics it is obvious I know what im doing and what works best for *my hair type. No disrespect but mine look 200% better than urs. Maybe I can give u a few tips :-).

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form