Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Trichotillomania and Locks. 1 month old - Crochet method start.

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
are you picking your scalp because it's itchy or is it more of a compulsive habit or both? Unfortunately the more you pick the worse it gets if it's itchy/flaky they make an awesome shampoo called everclean . You could try using it and see if it helps, maybe try throwing on tam to curb the picking. If you severely damage your scalp it seems like you would inevitably damage your dreads at the root as well. I know a few people that never had scalp probs before dreading but then once they started dreading the lack of scalp stimulation made them tear up their scalp with picking at it and it just got worse and worse ( the more you pick, the itchier and scabbier it gets so the more you pick at it). Try letting it heal, if you can then stimulate it gently with a hair pick. I hope everything works out for you, what you describes sounds painful :o( Many Blessings

Star Child said:

that's actually part of why i started dreading, even though ive been wanting to for a while before i started the terrible scalp picking. i dont pull my hair really but i obsessively pick and its so irritating. not to mention it really really hurts and is gradually causing craters in my scalp >.< right now im not sure if its helping my hair lock up or if its just ripping them apart. but i cant stop doing it no matter how hard i try or how badly it hurts, it has gotten worse lately and pain is a big factor. it also gets in the way of working on my baby dreads cause parts of my head hurt without touching them, touching some spots is almost unbearable [unless im picking vigorously >.<]

i suppose i had somethingt o say specifically but i got distracted by the really inspiring vibe of your post. i had never thought the tree thing but now i think itll probably be in my mind more frequently and your post in general. it kind of made me feel more confident that the picking is helping it lock sometimes and once it locks up the picking might go away. youre quite the inspiration.

im not remembering if there was anything else to mention other than i too am not strong at being cocise and i really like your ppps :]

updated by @naturalwomyn: 07/23/15 04:39:52PM
Star Child
@star-child
13 years ago
2 posts
i'm not sure how i started doing it honestly, but i think it started as a bit of both and now i think it might just be compulsive. >:[ i should try that shampoo it sounds like it might help, aqt least if its compulsive and i cant see anything wrong maybe itll stop. thanks :]

NaturalWomyn said:
are you picking your scalp because it's itchy or is it more of a compulsive habit or both? Unfortunately the more you pick the worse it gets if it's itchy/flaky they make an awesome shampoo called everclean . You could try using it and see if it helps, maybe try throwing on tam to curb the picking. If you severely damage your scalp it seems like you would inevitably damage your dreads at the root as well. I know a few people that never had scalp probs before dreading but then once they started dreading the lack of scalp stimulation made them tear up their scalp with picking at it and it just got worse and worse ( the more you pick, the itchier and scabbier it gets so the more you pick at it). Try letting it heal, if you can then stimulate it gently with a hair pick. I hope everything works out for you, what you describes sounds painful :o( Many Blessings

Star Child said:

that's actually part of why i started dreading, even though ive been wanting to for a while before i started the terrible scalp picking. i dont pull my hair really but i obsessively pick and its so irritating. not to mention it really really hurts and is gradually causing craters in my scalp >.< right now im not sure if its helping my hair lock up or if its just ripping them apart. but i cant stop doing it no matter how hard i try or how badly it hurts, it has gotten worse lately and pain is a big factor. it also gets in the way of working on my baby dreads cause parts of my head hurt without touching them, touching some spots is almost unbearable [unless im picking vigorously >.<]

i suppose i had somethingt o say specifically but i got distracted by the really inspiring vibe of your post. i had never thought the tree thing but now i think itll probably be in my mind more frequently and your post in general. it kind of made me feel more confident that the picking is helping it lock sometimes and once it locks up the picking might go away. youre quite the inspiration.

im not remembering if there was anything else to mention other than i too am not strong at being cocise and i really like your ppps :]

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
I think if you get the itching and scabbing under control you may be able to stop the picking, I highly recommend the shampoo i think it will be great for you! If you decide to try it let me know how it goes.
Liberty
@liberty
13 years ago
33 posts
Thank you for sharing
Chelsea LookWhatTheCatDraggedIn
@chelsea-lookwhatthecatdraggedin
13 years ago
42 posts
I also have a problem with hair pulling. I just have really bad anxiety and have been pulling since I was 1. I had my head shaved when I was 2 because I was bald on kne side. As I got older I started to have thinning hair because if the pulling and I am not having any issues so far. But bencause my hair is very thin, my dreads are also very thin and don't cover my head. But hopefully dreads help you as well.
Tanya Brown
@tanya-brown
13 years ago
1 posts
I do that to even with dreads. I constantly am picking scabs or scratching, Its keeping my roots from locking up because I never stop in my sleep or car. Or just spacing off glad Im not alone. Thanks for the long post.
Ashley Eve
@ashley-eve
13 years ago
43 posts

wow what an interesting story thanks for sharing this! i think your dreads look great and im glad to hear that they help you feel more positive about your self!

p.s i totally get the built in cat toys my kitten is always trying to eat my hair.. haha

amanda6
@amanda6
13 years ago
4 posts

Thank you for sharing this. I think your blonde locks look beautiful :)

When I was younger I had such thick and frizzy hair. Over the years it is much thinner because I compulsively played with and pulled my hair from my head and even body hair. I never heard of trichotillomania until I was an adult.

I have just started my first set of dreadlocks and it redirects my energy. Now I think "hey, this hair is looking so beautiful and unique, I better leave it alone so it can keep doing this" instead of mindlessly running my hands through it over and over. sometimes i feel obsessed with dreadlocks (my boyfriend thinks i am lol) because since i started this set i can't forget for a second the reasons why I chose this hairstyle. i love looking at my hair and pictures of other people's hair but i don't have that urge to touch it and mess with it. whew.

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration~

deedum
@deedum
13 years ago
1 posts
Hi, I'm inspired to read this because I've had trich for 30 years, and I've also done a lot w/extensions, fake dreads, etc.. to try to block the problem. I took a break from that for 5 years after a bad dread perm experience where my tiny little burned up dreads broke off, but I'm getting ready to try again with alpaca dread extensions at first, (they're very soft and lovely!) then try to grow my own out and crochet method. Wish me luck! I have very fine thin hair anyway, and with the thinner/partially bald spots from my hair pulling, I need all the love and support I can get to keep going with it. I just know if I can get to my own natural dreads, the pulling will be so much less. Problem is, the girl who's going to work on them is moving across the country in a couple months, so I'll be on the search to find a new hair helper :0) Anyway, thanks for sharing your story, it's so similar to mine, and I appreciate the connection ~ btw your hair is beautiful!
babylon
@babylon
13 years ago
27 posts
Whooow, i have the same problem! I always have a little bald spot somewhere (or 2) somehow i think i do it less sinds i started dreading....

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form