Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

hair that doesnt dread?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i looked at the site and thought they looked really weirdbut i guess thats the point huh i mean they are called weird sistastha blond chicks not u is it?i wonder tho when u wanted dreads 1 what made u think a salon was the way to go and 2 what made u think those looked like good dreads? i dont mean to be insulting i really am curius as to what made u think those looked like dreadsi think the 1 girl has em all flipped over weird to hide her big gaps and exposed scalp MamaWeird said:
The Weird Sistas (the dread "salon" who did my dreads) use this method. The sections can be a bit obvious at first but as the dread matures, the sections are less obvious and they loose the braided look and lock up nicely. The Weird's website is linked in my profile if you wanted to have a look at their gallery to see the effect. They weave the hair more than "crochet" it ... the process is gentler on the hair and doesn't damage it like some other crochet methods might. My dreads are featured in the gallery, too. They were super new when the pic was taken.

Sister Rags said:
Ahhh...thanks for the explanation. I know that some people like the tightly sectioned (at the scalp) look, but I don't, and I thought that's what crocheting produced. (I don't like the appearance, nor do I think it's healthy to pull on roots like that).

So...gently crocheting...the purpose is to "neaten" locks?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
also u said u went cause u didnt know how..they prey on the uninformned and misinformedhate to tell u this but the crochets way more famaging then backcombu say u still maintain with crochet?want proof how damaging it is?just stop...3 months should be plenty of timethey'll get fuzzy to the extreme..thats all the broken hairs you caused by maintaining (and starting) with crochetfew months later they should recover i hopebut thats the best way for u to see just way u did to themu could also look around here at those who stopped crochet and see how glad they are they stopped

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bene
@bene
14 years ago
35 posts
my hair also dint dreadi have thick straight blond hair and it took me over a year to get some perm. knotts in my hairbut i have to admit that i was using wax during that time because i was told that thats what is good for my dreads....then i stopped the waxing after a year and they started knotting upbut it still took at least a year before they looked goodsorry for the bad english i am french :-)
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
If Asian peoples hair can dread, ANYONE'S hair can dread. Unless you only have a few hairs an they're all inces apart. Then probably not
Charlie Abbott
@charlie-abbott
14 years ago
2 posts
Beads, Nuts (like as in Nuts&Bolts), wrapping string around them, ect... thats the best thing to do in my opinion.Those are what I put on mine to help hair that isn't dreading or showing any signs of dreading anytime soon. The Nut's work really really well, the threads help hold that hair in there and when you twist it every now an then it moves some hair around. Plus it looks cool. I saw a girl with a nut in her dreads once and she is actually one of the reasons I got dreads cause i thought they looked so beautiful.
Charlie Erentz
@charlie-erentz
14 years ago
2 posts
In my opinion there is no hair that will not eventually dread up.I'm sure if you just have some patience you'll eventually have great dreads.
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
14 years ago
137 posts

So, the beads, are wooden beads ok? I am just thinking someone has to have experience here, and I have plenty of little wooden beads and am wondering if they will help mildew try to grow or does it even matter what kind of bead you use???

Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts

Duuude I used to re-TnR and I felt the same way! I then read on here it's best to only do it once, and now I'm out of the habit. They've been locking up reaaally well!

It seems that if I have really loose roots, my tips are nice, and if the tips are really loose, the roots are tightening up. so just don't touch them and use beads from craft stores.

Knotty Rod
@knotty-rod
13 years ago
12 posts
i know it seems like it takes forever but trust me i had bone straight hair and 10 months lateri have the making of great locks.. started backcombing and then let them be,no wax.. dr.bonners,bakingsoda/teatree/rosemary wash..i rotate them.......... hope this helps.........knottyrod
Hayden Lacey
@hayden-lacey
13 years ago
6 posts

I took great pride in my hair before I dreaded it. I maticulously washed it every day with Dr. Bronners and mosturizing conditioner to ensure it was healthy and super smooth. I have extremely dense smooth hair and I thought that dreads would have been impossible to do. Start washing with just dr. bronners, nothing is better for your hair, it doesn't strip the natural oils that keep it healthy and it does a bang up job of cleaning your hair. Don't backcomb your hair if it is smooth, your not going to do anything but make it look like you got some diva hair voulme in the end, I used the tnr method but not super agressively, just occasionaly while sitting around I would do a section not completely through but still enough to were it would lock up.

updated by @hayden-lacey: 07/23/15 06:39:55PM

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form