Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

retwisting dreads locs dangers

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

retwisting locs or dreads is not necessary and not recomended whats worse is it comes with serius dangers that can cause permanent harm.

retwisting dreadlocks puts extreme tension on the roots which causes a slowly prof=gressing condition called traction alopecia

days ago a dread whos had dreadlocks 12 years joined and stated he twisted monthly and opalm rolled often (i cringed and knew what to expect but hoped to be wrong) (i wasnt) below is the photo

notice how twisting dreads and palm rolling (which i would also recomend he stop imediately) c=has caused thinning of dreads 4 or 5 dreads lost and a progressive thinning of the hair ariund each dread the tension on the scalp makes the hair no longer want to grow

the dreads become thinner and thinner as they get closer to the roots while the balding gaps between dreads becomes wider and wider

why is this?

salons..locticians they recomend this and other harmful root tightenings to give a "neet look" the neet look is defined by them they convince you there should be bald gaps between your dreasds

why? they make you believe dreads require lots of work by a lock tech=nician the reality is dreads are best when you do next to niothing to them

they want your money they charhe you monthly to twust your dreads till your dreads twuist off

i hopethese can be saved this is advanced but ive seen worse intrrlocking as an exam=pke can cause far more severe issues

solutions imediateky stop retwisting palm rolling and mesing with them

reduce tension on tyhe scalp wear them in atam or loosely tied up with as lil weight pulling on the scalp as u can

i am forwarding this to our most gifted hair experts for cunsultation as well

in some cases medical intervention eben implants are required but im hoping in this case its not that far yet

i dont tyhink so but only our experts can say fir sure

if your retwisting or interlocking dreads sto p right away!

the damage can be severe and permenant

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 11/24/22 10:37:58AM
Jay Simmons
@jay-simmons
12 years ago
17 posts

Thanks! I need that info and hope its not too late...

Karrington <3
@karrington-3
12 years ago
94 posts
This is why I don't retwist anymore! It's uselesss!!! I love the look my dreads have without them being retwisted.. Again, Retwisting is useless!! Don't waste your time guys..
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
12 years ago
667 posts

This poor fellow needs some serious tender, loving, care! With alot of help, these dreads can be rehabilitated. There should be as little tension or stress on the scalp as possible. I highly recommmend scalp massage. This should be done with firm pressure, in a very , slow and deliberate way. Using all ten fingers, use firm pressure throughout the pad of the finger to massage the scalp. What you are aiming for is a pliablity of the scalp. Some scalps are very tight to the head and do not move freely or shift around when manipulated. A tight scalp is one indicator of eventual hair loss...it shows that the blood flow may be less than optimal. So, if this is the case, massage everyday. Don't force the scalp, and if it feels uncomfortable, use less pressure initially until you see progress. I would also take this time to apply healthy oils to the scalp area. This will also aid less pull while massaging. I also suggest use of a product by Nexxus called Keriphix. If used faithfully with massage, this product can work miracles to aid strength and keratin protein (the building block of hair structure) to the hair. Just be sure to rinse thoroughly and only apply to the scalp once or twice a week. Because this contains protein, it can build up....but in this extreme case, serious help is essential :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

if it wass only useless it wouldnt be a problem

but its way beyond useless

its devestatingly harmfiul

yet its pushed as a must for tidy dreads

ande the real irony is tidy is defibned as the early stages of this issue

the thinning roots

the hair pulled into the dread so tightly the scalps receding into each dread

and thy are slowly going balsd pulling out th hair

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

thank you panterra i learn more from you all the time

i dont know why i didnt think of massage

question

and this may not be a great idea for a couple reasons but

if the goal is to increase bloodflow to the scalp

cayan

cayan in water op][ooiured on or massagesd in will get thr blood flowing to the scalp

but

its cayan rinsing near eyes..ouch

if its left on and in contact with skin too long can cause boils

if its hard to rinse oi=ut for any reason it might be annoying at least

but

as an option in tye areas where theres wide gaps and very lil haitr a touch up job just on those areas..would that be a good or bad idea

im not suggesting it..yet without panteeras approval just thinking alowed since cayan does bringthe bloodflow closer to the skins surface very effectively

--
Karrington <3
@karrington-3
12 years ago
94 posts
By useless, I was meaning it doesn't help anything.. I wouldn't recommend it because when I was Retwisting my dreads, I could feel them becoming weak.. No bueno.. So yeah SE, there is no need for it because of the future harm it could cause

soaring eagle said:

if it wass only useless it wouldnt be a problem

but its way beyond useless

its devestatingly harmfiul

yet its pushed as a must for tidy dreads

ande the real irony is tidy is defibned as the early stages of this issue

the thinning roots

the hair pulled into the dread so tightly the scalps receding into each dread

and thy are slowly going balsd pulling out th hair

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
Maybe I don't have a good picture. But this to me doesn't look like alopecia, it looks like severe breakage. And if that's the case, they will regrow, the only question is will the regrowth happen fast enough to save the existing dreads.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
12 years ago
667 posts

elke, traction alopecia is different than regular alopecia. It is hair loss caused by friction. It is spotty, like regular alopecia...but, not because of a "condition" or disorder as in regular alopecia. The spottiness occurs because the tension or friction is greater in certain over manipulated areas or in areas where the hair is of a more delicate texture...like around the face or nape :)

elke.in.alaska said:

Maybe I don't have a good picture. But this to me doesn't look like alopecia, it looks like severe breakage. And if that's the case, they will regrow, the only question is will the regrowth happen fast enough to save the existing dreads.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
12 years ago
667 posts

At this point, I suggested peppermint to stimulate the scalp. The peppermint would serve two functions...1. to keep the scalp blood flow up and 2. to help with sebum production in a gentle way. He related to me that he is only shampooing about once a month. So, I know that the scalp will most likely have some build up, even if the actual hair itself is dry. Cayenne is being used in more ways all the time, especially with beauty products...but, in his delicate state, I don't want to go the cayenne route. I also do not want him using any BS until his hair and scalp are stronger. I am working on a reply to his PM...I also suggested some hair, skin, and nail supplements...these wouldn't hurt. He told me he got some biotin...these are all hair building blocks and can be highly effective :)

soaring eagle said:

thank you panterra i learn more from you all the time

i dont know why i didnt think of massage

question

and this may not be a great idea for a couple reasons but

if the goal is to increase bloodflow to the scalp

cayan

cayan in water op][ooiured on or massagesd in will get thr blood flowing to the scalp

but

its cayan rinsing near eyes..ouch

if its left on and in contact with skin too long can cause boils

if its hard to rinse oi=ut for any reason it might be annoying at least

but

as an option in tye areas where theres wide gaps and very lil haitr a touch up job just on those areas..would that be a good or bad idea

im not suggesting it..yet without panteeras approval just thinking alowed since cayan does bringthe bloodflow closer to the skins surface very effectively

updated by @panterra-caraway: 07/23/15 12:11:57AM
 / 7

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form