Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

crochet dreads way too huge what should i do?

Kelsey Joy
@kelsey-joy
13 years ago
9 posts

hello, i started my first set off with backcombing and crocheting, i wanted big dreads as well and i only had 20, i started over naturally and ive had them for only 1 month and now i have 48 locks.

IF you want to take yours out it is possible, i crochet mine about 7 time sin a 4 month period they were very tight you can go through my pictures and see. anyways to take them out i used

V05 conditioner

comb

hot water

start by soaking your dreads with conditioner(i use a whole bottle taking mine out)

then fill up yourr sink with HOT water,

put your dread underneath the water and you can pick it apart with your fingers, or comb..ALWAYS start from the bottom of your dread and work your way up..(make sure you keep your hair under the water while pickin it apart, the hot water helps or it to be softer and come apart more easily)

i did loose alot of hair, but probably only the same amount of hair i would have lost in 4 months, and a little extra, lost diff amount of hair with diffrent dreads.

and you dont have to go natural even tear and rip works great!! and you'll still have alot more that way, you may think when you first start that they look skinny if you have alot in but over time they WILL fatten out! all tht hair that you would be loosing ever day gets caught in your dreads

hope this helped you out!! :)

updated by @kelsey-joy: 07/13/15 12:11:25PM
Kelsey Joy
@kelsey-joy
13 years ago
9 posts

and I KNOW you may think that starting over would suck.. because i see on your profle its been a month? i had mine for 4 months and i cried after i took them out, beause of all that time, and all the change, and 4 months felt like forever... and then they were gone, but i just know that in the end this time my locks will be alot healther and look alot better

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

look at her pics

then keep in mindthey are only 1 month old so havent thickened at all

and

they were crochetted which makes them thinner then they normaly would be

now imaggine how huge they will be when mature

they will be like 13 arm size megadreads

i think she could use 50-75

and still be reasonable size

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i edited the title and added an lil editors not to try to get u more help

plz ppl she could use all the opinions she can get to make an informed decision

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/9-months-backcombed-timeline

here he started with 16 spl,it into 30 so u can kindsa see how hugve they would have been theyre huge at twice as many still

--
Chrissy Duncan
@chrissy-duncan
13 years ago
2 posts
they are only a month old I would have to say brush them out and start over! I would also condition my hair to help it recover from all of the over working it has been through (almond oil is great) I know you have put a lot of work into them, but (this is only my opinion) I think having big loose dreads along with the blunted tips is going to hold a lot of moisture, and that could lead to many problems. I hope you find a path that works best for you, and you are happy with the end result, blessings.
Jackal
@jackal
13 years ago
132 posts
im not sure what to say that SE hasnt covered, he did a good job with covering everything that needs to be said. take it from me, your dreads would be huge and hard to manage if you dont rip them into smaller sections or start over. SE linked you to my timeline, and at 16 dreads some of them were literally almost as wide as my arm. dreads that thick will hold more water than most necks can handle and they take like 2 days to dry, and create tons of mold problems later on when they tighten. i know how much work and effort you've put into them, but starting over or attempting to rip into smaller sections is definately the way to go.
Lex
@lex
13 years ago
217 posts
I personally think it would be bad-ass to have dreads that fat and would leave them exactly how they are.
bailey lockhart.
@bailey-lockhart
13 years ago
6 posts
i decided to end up keeping them, i havent split them yet tho. how will they get bigger tho? i don't quite undersatnd that

well thanks guys for the help!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well dreads shrink and fatten as they masture but crochet makes them exrtremely tight so they have to loosen a ton before any normal dreading starts so they will thicken..eventuakly when the crochet recovery is pretty well done

--

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form