Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help mold?

dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

I think the wisest response you could get is from Soaring Eagle, but he's on a trip now i guess. I would use the Rot Knot for now and wait till he's back an can give you an answer. It's scary that you can catch mold so easy like you have told. I wish you the best and don't cut them or comb them out!!! Maybe you could ask Panterra Caraway via Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/panterra1). She's a member on here and a professional hairdresser with dreads, she might have a tip for you.

updated by @dread-stpauli: 07/17/18 05:16:14AM
Peace Shalom
@peace-shalom
6 years ago
44 posts

How about maybe using tea tree oil? Mix a solution of tee tree oil and water with at a ratio of 1 tsp tree tree oil to 1 cup water. And soak it in there good.

Edit:

There is also oregano, thyme, cinnamon, and rosemary, oils too which probably all combat mold too.

updated by @peace-shalom: 07/18/18 06:12:00PM
Dreadson MaLock
@dreadson-malock
6 years ago
10 posts
Thank you dread stpauli and peace shalom for the input and assistance. It helps to know that people are here willing to provide aid. I am grateful.

A few days ago, I tried my normal shampoo washing (dreadlockshampoo bars) without adding rot knot after, but instead I soaked my dreads in white vinegar and tea tree essential oil for about 13 minutes, then rinsed.
The mold smell was gone but perhaps it was just being overpowered by the vinegar for today when i washed with the bar then rot knot, the smell is faintly returned.

I shall listen to your kind advice and await SE's return before combing out or cutting anything. Thank you
Peace Shalom
@peace-shalom
6 years ago
44 posts
Hmmm. Not sure. Maybe keep trying it if it is improving at all? Maybe change up the essential oil.
Did you ever put wax in your hair or anything that it could be sticking to??
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

I would absolutely recommend the rot knot from dreadlockshampoo.com  teatree wont help 

lavender is maybe the 1 that might but cloves is 1 of the main ingredients (judging by scent) in  rot knot.  rot knot took months of trials to develop, it was tested on mold that even the harshest chemical mold killers only  killed for days to a week, but rot knot prevented anything from returning for months.

if you can't get rot knowt due to where your located (id still recommend it even if shippings high..keeping in mind that you can get rot knot and 3 other liquid shampoos or rot knot and 4 or maybe 5 bar shampoos for same shpping fee) then try to use the rot knot ingredients list as a guide

also

sun dry!! spread them out and let the sun get into them, move em around exposing damper areas to the sun

mold loves darkness

have not read p yet will go through thread and read it all now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

Dreadson MaLock: In 2 weeks, I will have had free form dreadlocks for 4 years, but a month ago, in a hurry I did not fully dry my hair and have clearly developed mold. I know this because the smell every time they are wet. However, I have used Rot Knot from dreadlockshampoo (still use it) and it hasnt gotten rid of the mold. I even emailed Vicki, to see if I was using it wrong, and per her instructions, it still isnt working. I really dont want to comb out or cut out 4 years of my journey. I'm honestly saddened by this experience and would appreciate any help or alternatives. Boiling, white vinegar, using the rest of the rot knot bottle at once, any of these things I am willing to try and more. I could really use any wise or experienced advice. Thank you for reading this.

ok

heres what I do keeping in mind my hairs extremely long I use an entire bottle at once, after making sure the hairs good and wet, squeezing it in deep into all the dreads, especialy the thick ones.. I wait at least 10 minutes..longer if needed all the while still squeezing it in deep I make sure ty are saturated to the core

then rinse well (even a full bottle rinses out pretty easily) then wash with the shampoo and make sure I dry extra thouroughly..if I can I blow dry  some then go sit in the sun ,,if I cant I blow dry all day  and into the night (not constant I blow several minutes at a time concentrating on dampest parts always rearranging the dreads to allow air to get to the damper ones) I often hang em over a rack like you use for clothes  to keep them spread out

71butdFLIEL._SL1500_.jpg

this is a great way to spread out extra long dreads for drying

--
Dreadson MaLock
@dreadson-malock
6 years ago
10 posts
Thank you for the follow up.
I have tried the squeezing, the rot knot before shampooing, and vice versa. But now I will try leaving in the rot knot that i have left for longer, at least 10 minutes as you said.
The sun, unfortunately isn't a constant everyday option for drying, but i have started using a powerful fan, spreading them out, angling the fan, etc.

Are there any alternatives that you know of for when i run out of rot knot (as i have no income yet, but i do have acv, white vinegar, tea tree and peppermint oil, and two shampoo bars to use)?

Also, if acv or white vinegar are past their expiration date, should i discontinue use? Or is that just a loose guideline?

One site said soak them in grapefruit seed extract, white vinegar, and tea tree oil, I believe.

@peace shalom, no i haven't used any type of wax or anything in the near 4 years that I've been free forming, but my states water is apparently extremely hard, and my shared shower is overrun with mold and rust despite everything i do to clean it. While washing outside with buckets is problematic.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

a porceline filament blow dryers a good option when suns not. but they are not the cheapest

what we used to recommend, which was semi effective but nowhere near as effective as rot knot was 3/4 cup wite vinager 1/4 cup water and 15-30 drops lavender essential oil 

the expiration date I would says essential for internal use for external..i dunno if the acidity changes, or what 

--

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form