Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What's been the hardest part of your journey?

HayleyB124
@hayleyb124
12 years ago
58 posts
it's not completely gone. there are still ways she can play with your hair. just the other day i had my boyfriend separate some locks on the back of my head and this weekend i'll be teaching him how to wrap so he can help me with that too. maybe have your girlfriend do the same? it'll be a great bonding experience and the wraps will help your hair dread. it's definitely a win-win.
updated by @hayleyb124: 07/23/15 12:11:10AM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

at first the hardest part was accepting that my hair was not like most i had seen or like my daughters & would not form knots overnight or even over weeks. obviously i could have been skipping the brush without care for a long while when i actually wanted my hair to be straight. but that passed quickly & i realized my path was going to be different & longer. it was fine. i am happy with my snails pace & my itty bitty baby locks.

now the hardest part is watching others start their journey & within days pass my months of progress. even many who go natural/neglect/freeform. i'm happy for them, & i do love my slow subtle changes, but it still carries with it a certain amount of disheartening. i wait on loops & wonder if they will ever happen for me, i wait to separate & wonder if i will ever have to do it more than once in several months, i wait for noticeable knots & progress & wonder if i make a video on my journey if people will laugh at my obviously still straight hair. every photo i take of my front is disappointing because my hair still looks brushed & straight, & silky & like hair, not even sections. the back looks a bit like sections & are wavy, & when looking closely on some days there are bits of bumps, but no where near the messy loopy disaster i'm hoping for. others complain of frizz & constant separating issues, crazy loops that they don't want or congos & knots they weren't expecting, I LONG for any of it. I just hope in time they will sneak up & surprise me. This journey is important in many ways for me & I've been having a very hard time with things other than my non-existentdreads lately, my dreads were supposed to be helping me with that & while they were for a bit I've kinda lost that umpf that i needed. I'm hoping they will do something wonderful soon, I really need something to lift my head for.

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

that happened for quite a while for me as well. even now when i see small changes pop up, often after a wash they are gone again. i waited 3 days & a wash before officially saying i had a knot/loop because i thought it would disappear like all the others, eventually they do stick. it does suck to see things happening & then see them go away again tho.

Boston Blanchard said:

My biggest problem at this point, about four weeks in, is that my hair is very fine and, still quite short, and it seems as though every day is day one. My hair sections very nicely after I wash it but, when I wake up after a nights sleep, it all seems to go right back to square one. Patience in itself is an ongoing journey for me.

Christopher Landon Cremeans
@christopher-landon-cremeans
12 years ago
14 posts

I'm only on day two of my journey and did a BS and sea salt wash yesterday and my hair immediately coiled up and my hair now appears to be only an inch or so long when it is actually 4 or 5 long.

Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
12 years ago
122 posts
I agree with Ixchel, comparing my progress to others is the worst...I love looking at timelines, but mine are definitely slower to form than most.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form